Rxanadu

How do I contribute to this forum?

Every time I've talked to a game developer about getting recognition in the industry, they tell me to, at the very least, contribute to forums. However, I've always been concerned about that because I can't do much aside from comment on the things that interest me - and don't get people turned against me - which turns out to be very little.

Is there something specific I would have to do in order for it to be considered "contributing" in the sense of what the game developers are talking about?

P.S. I would appreciate it if the replied did not feature any rude remarks, snarky comments, trolling (blatant or otherwise) or swearing. It's clutter.

I would also appreciate it if the replied did not feature any rude remarks, snarky comments, trolling (blatant or otherwise) or swearing. And no *********s.

Frankly, what even counts as contributing to a forum? Making interesting threads? Thoughtful posts? Being funny?

Forums and communities can be great for networking. For example it's no secret that a lot of people from the Mojo/AdventureGamers soup that founded Idle Thumbs have gotten each other jobs at Telltale Games or other companies those communities have ties with. Similarly, all the guys on my forum have helped each other get jobs across the whole industry. It's definitely useful to say the least.

This is like asking how to have a conversation.

If you want to use forums for networking, then I'd suggest commenting on things. If you don't like what you get back, then you might consider other forums.

Can't say your PS makes your attitude particularly endearing so far.

I contribute by being a recalcitrant asshole, so you can't take that job.

I contribute by being a recalcitrant asshole, so you can't take that job.

Swear.

Swear.

:cens0r:

I'd appreciate it if you didn't tell me what is and isn't a swear word, Shammack.

P.S. I would appreciate it if the replied did not feature any rude remarks, snarky comments, trolling (blatant or otherwise) or swearing. It's clutter.

This line is just really weird to me. Why would you ever say this?

If there was an asshole, he'd take it as bait to be an asshole. If there are no assholes, the community in question is possibly going to be offended by the implication.

I guess I just swore so I am clutter. But man, what.

Seriously? If you want to contribute to a forum, step one should be getting a sense of what is normal/par for the course in a given forum so that you can approach it on its own terms instead of trying to dictate how you think that forum should behave.

Every time I've talked to a game developer about getting recognition in the industry, they tell me to, at the very least, contribute to forums.

Hahaha, I love this.

"God, can't you do anything? Well at least you can post on forums I guess. It's the least you can do!"

"But howwwwwww?"

I can proudly state that I've never contributed to this forum.

This seems like a sincere question with a somewhat strange phrasing, so I'll contribute a sincere answer.

1) Understand what the forum is, and how to be a member of it.

2) Have a conversation. A natural one. Post about a thing you like. Bring a counterpoint to a thing that you have an interest in but maybe don't like. If there's a salient point buried in a discussion about something else, derail that sucker! Back up your observations. Sometimes don't back up your observations but at least be clever about it.

3) I have a feeling devs might be speaking about getting recognition on forums on or about a specific game. Example: theorycrafting with a conclusion, relevant contributions to bug/hotfix discussions. If you are having conversations with subjects that will involve game devs/GMs responding, guess what? Those guys are going to be talking with you. If you repeatedly make positive contributions, they're going to recognize you.

4) Welcome to the internet, snark is all around you. It's your job as curator of your brain to spin it or disregard it.

4) Welcome to the internet, snark is all around you. It's your job as curator of your brain to spin it or disregard it.

Michael J. Fox's least impressive role, honestly.

For those who actually answered the question in a proper way: I'll take your considerations into mind. I just had no idea what the developers were talking about when it came to specifics; I always thought they were talking about adding more physical pages to a forum, or somethng. I just don't know how talking about video games (constructively or otherwise) will get me into the game industry.

For those who took the bait: Surprise! You've been caught red-handed! Now, go back into your holes and think about what you've done!

I'm not sure if you're a nutter or what it is, but it's impressive.

I don't know if you count this as rude or snarky, but my general rule of thumb is to lurk a forum for sometime and gauge the general tone of the community before I decide that I want to commit to it. I think you should be able to tell by now that this community is generally thoughtful and leans towards having good, reasonable discussion and debate. If are worried that a community tends to have an abundance of trolls, my advice would be to find another community. Otherwise it's like shouting in the wind.

I'm not sure if you're a nutter or what it is, but it's impressive.

I think HE is the troll.

I've heard - maybe here - that the best way to gain recognition in the industry is simply (hah!) to make a game.

I think HE is the troll.

Well he made a... well a thread that got discussion. Maybe he's just inept?

Well he made a... well a thread that got discussion. Maybe he's just inept?

Yeah, he's made several, all while being completely civil, and then also made this one. I think it's a clever ruse.

First you post a dashing picture of yourself in the, "post your face thread." Once everyone is enamoured with your looks, you could make a thread about anything, even the SEGA Pico, and you would still have full attention.

First you post a dashing picture of yourself in the, "post your face thread."

Preferably with a sporting celebrity