TychoCelchuuu

Kentucky Route Zero - A Game in Five Acts

Highly recommend. Art style, sound and writing are both excellent. Also got a chance to try Limits & Demonstrations the other day and it's quite interesting. My favorite bit is the magnetic tape piece that is based on an existing installation by Nam June Paik and is probably some of my favorite writing (and audio work) they've done in either game.

Act II is out now. I really enjoyed it.

Thoughts (spoilered though probably unnecessarily):

I think they did some fun stuff with the storytelling in this one...the narration while moving through the dwelling museum and the scene structure as you run through the forest at the end (which is gorgeous) both stood out to me.

Anyone else go straight to the bear floor in the opening scene?

This is excellent news. KRZ was the last game I fell in love with, so I am excited to jump into this next section. I think I guessed the plot already, but that hardly matters.

Every 'frame' (as in, the composition of each scene) is absolutely screenshot worthy. The way they use perspective and environment design is more akin to film than most games I have played. A fixed perspective is cool like that.

Ah dang, it crashed right when

the bird picked me up

I think there are a few kinks to iron out in this version still. Characters pop around a bit and the sound on route zero kept cutting out in a way that didn't seem purposeful.

Despite the bugs, I'm loving this chapter. The way they designed route zero is fantastic, a clever play on the linear perspective that hides the three-dimensional depth many of the game's scenes (and narrative subtext)

Ah dang, it crashed right when

the bird picked me up

Yep, same for me. It's too bad, because this game is absolutely wonderful otherwise.

For anyone playing act 2, if you get a crash right when something notable happens (

the bird picks you up

), try restarting the game and going through that sequence again. It worked for me the second time.

Also, the game might make it seem like there's a sense of urgency in act 2... but you should ignore that, because I didn't and it turns out there was no need to rush. Now I have to play the whole act over again to see all the stuff I missed along the way. :wacko:

If you get stuck in the

museum

(I definitely thought I was stuck for more than a few minutes), try walking around the bottom edge of the screen. You'll know what you're looking for once you find it.

Definitely a lot more bugs in Act 2 than in Act 1, but the experience is still otherworldly and intriguing. I can't even accurately describe some of the clever stuff they're doing in this game.

Ok so looks like not, what it is:

a first person being-an-extra-in-a-heavily-modified-production-of-waiting-for-godot sim

pretty neat.