Sign in to follow this  
toblix

Kairo

Apparently this is out now, and my impression is it happened today. I bought it without trying the demo just because I think I've heard that it's good from someone on Twitter or something. It's about exploration, which I tend to love, and it's pretty cheap (8 credits) and it's available on both Windows, Mac and Linux and the site lacks a favicon.

Click on the link above to buy KAIRO

xoxo

Gossip Girl

It's been out since Oct 22. Not done with it, but I like it a lot. Thank god for the built in hint system though because

there are some bits that are vaguely reactive/interactive that are repositories for secrets but not really necessary for progression that I would have fiddled with forever and given up after getting stuck on if the hints didn't explain that I didn't have to do anything with them to progress

Just played through it, I think? There's nothing else for me to do except

the optional rooms. The note blocks, stars etc... I thought I found the solution to the note blocks one but nothing happend.

. Really striking visually and creepy atmosphere.

EDIT: OH SHIT. I was not finished at all! Actually completed it and got the non-secret ending which was... uuuuuh pretty lame. It reminds me of the last level of Trine but instead of frustration it was disappointment. The tone, atmosphere and mystique of the game was so good so why would you just throw all of that away for some poignant (I guess?) ending?

Just finished this game and loved it.  The atmosphere and design made me feel like I was in an Arthur C. Clarke novel exploring weird alien ruins.

The screenshots don't do it justice because the striking thing is how the game is able to create so many distinct and memorable locations out of such simple building blocks.

The puzzles are engaging, but not difficult.  Which, for me, made the pacing feel just right.  It's not at all like a Myst game where you have to spend a lot of time in one place trying to figure out what to do.  Most of the time I figured out what to do before a location wore out its welcome and was on to seeing something new.

That said, there are secrets.  And if you feel stuck, look at the in-game hints because (you should probably read this spoiler):

There are three rooms with optional bonus puzzles which are extremely difficult, I'd say unfair (one can only be solved if you compare notes with several other players). The hints will keep you from banging your head against these as they are unnecessary to finish the game.

But you should either solve them or look up the solutions online because each one unlocks secrets that are very much worth seeing.

The interface is as simple and elegant as the architecture.  There is no hud.  No inventory.  No use key.  All interaction with the environment is effected by moving around in the environment.  One of my favorite parts of the design is a sort of switch that is aware of your position in the room.  Using it felt genuinely alien and weird and satisfying.

Old school gamers might enjoy the speed you move through the environment.  It almost feels like a Quake 3 mod.  It's like someone made an atmospheric Myst-type game in the Quake 3 engine, leaving out all my least favorite parts of Myst games (lame writing and lore, annoying characters, puzzles that are too hard, clunky interface).