Sign in to follow this  
toblix

Chivalry: What's Inside This Dude?

Have you played Chivalry? It's a cheap, intense knight-em-up with swords, shields, lances, axes and dismemberment. I'm pretty sure you won't get any closer to how actual medieval battle felt. I played for a good hour with Poo and Armchair, and the time we had was good.

Have you played Chivalry? It's a cheap, intense knight-em-up with swords, shields, lances, axes and dismemberment. I'm pretty sure you won't get any closer to how actual medieval battle felt. I played for a good hour with Poo and Armchair, and the time we had was good.

I have an obvious question: how does it compare to Mount & Blade?

And the surprising answer: I don't know, I never played M&B. I don't think there are horses in this one, though. But you and a team-mate can flank a guy and chop both his arms off.

I need to check this out--I worked with its lead level designer at Irrational, and he left to go work on this. It's awesome to see how well it's doing for them.

I have an obvious question: how does it compare to Mount & Blade?

It's first person (although it does have a third person cam) and multiplayer only. The combat system is pretty alright. A lot slicker and tighter than M&B's, I think. There's slice, thrust and hack as your main attacks, which you can kind of chain together. Then there's an unblockable kick which staggers, and for a lot longer if you were blocking at that moment. Oh, and you can also feint swings. You got yer 4 basic classes 'ere, with an Archer; a Man-at-Arms, a quick and speedy melee fighter with optional shield; Vanguard, 2-hander and pole-arm guy; Knight, a heavily armored guy, the slowest of the 4. And everyone seems to hate archers.

I heard in a Q&A with the lead game designer that they'll be adding flails in the near future.

This used to be a source mod, which I played a bit, it's more or less that but ported over to UE3 and shined up a bit. It's fun, but when I tried playing there weren't many full servers, and often they were playing ffa which is the most boring mode. I'm hoping it picks up after the steam sale. It is quite a bit fun. Reason people complain about archer is because a lot of new players try to play it, and it's not a very easy class to do well with. From what I understand the combat is more complex here than in mount and blade, but I haven't really played mount and blade, just going by other's opinions.

I need to check this out--I worked with its lead level designer at Irrational, and he left to go work on this. It's awesome to see how well it's doing for them.

I actually prefer the level design to Mount and Blade since they're smaller and easier to get back into the action.

I dislike the fact that the game doesn't really let you hide behind your shield, like M&B does, but I suppose it's more Medieval to M&B's Dark Age vibe.

The servers have been packed since the Steam sale.

How does this compare to Age of Chivalry? I played a lot of that and liked it a lot , is this basically the same game but better, or is it different in any big ways?

The combat is tighter since it's not constrained by the odd problems AoC had with multidirectional melee, the objectives are both better and worse, and it plays a lot better in general. If you liked AoC, Chivalry is more of that.

Age of Chivalry was lots of fun but I don't usually buy multiplayer only games like this unless I can be assured of a dedicated community sticking around in all but the most dire of situations. So, Red Orchestra 2 and Natural Selection 2 got purchased because those will never die (well, they actually fucked RO2 up so badly that it might actually die) but something like Lead & Gold, War of the Roses, Chivalry, The Ship (unfortunately), Bloody Good Time (also unfortunately), Sanctum (which I guess also has single player) and so on sits in the "only if I'm rich" pile. And I'm not rich.

Age of Chivalry was lots of fun but I don't usually buy multiplayer only games like this unless I can be assured of a dedicated community sticking around in all but the most dire of situations. So, Red Orchestra 2 and Natural Selection 2 got purchased because those will never die (well, they actually fucked RO2 up so badly that it might actually die) but something like Lead & Gold, War of the Roses, Chivalry, The Ship (unfortunately), Bloody Good Time (also unfortunately), Sanctum (which I guess also has single player) and so on sits in the "only if I'm rich" pile. And I'm not rich.

This always a concern, but if popular enough multiplayer games NEVER die. There's still Command and Conquer: Renegade servers going.

Wanna pick this up. But I've go The Walking Dead, Saints Row 3 from a sale (it's alright enough), and Xcom. Maybe if there's a sale in the winter.

I second the fun time-ability of the game. There's a steep learning curve, and for a good few games you'll be wanting it all to go away but then suddenly, like Neo, it all comes together and you are able to chop another man's arms and head off at whim, this is pleasing.

Brilliant thread title! I noticed this is on steam sale today but I don't think I would play enough to warrant purchase. I still wish someone would make a new version of Rune That was my favorite melee combat game!

I don't recall it being anything super amazing even at the time. I was just grabbed by the setting and idea of a melee combat game with those mechanics. Also Vikings. I'm really just not so into the medieval western settings in most of these melee mp focused games.

Oh I loved it back when it was a bit more...fresh. When I tried to play it again I lasted all of 5 minutes before I just couldn't do it anymore.