That was great, folks! Much to my surprise, we actually got a pretty big group going! I apologize for the clusterfuck in the beginning, I was a bit overwhelmed with the amount of folks who needed invites and whatnot. It was a great success and I'm sure we'll repeat it soon!

YoA9x1T.jpg

What was left of our squad by the end: Skratche, BadEend, Ilivanir, MrSECKS, Ignatius, Snooglebum and PodcastJones. We took a picture in front of a perfectly placed Galaxy gunship, but... Snooglebum, what happened there again? ;)

Thanks for playing everyone! All in all, not a bad start for the Idle Thumbs Sovereignty!

yeah that ended up being a really good time!

It was an interesting experience to play a brand new character that didn't have any of the guns or certs that my regular character has, but i didn't feel like i was that hamstrung by it. There were a few times (when we were pinned down in the spawn room by the airplanes and tank) when i really wished i had my other guns available to me because they let me be more effective in certain situations. I still felt like we had a way to fight against whatever came up though!

I had never played planetside before and didn't know quite what to expect going in. It was a whole bunch of chaos at first but I'd like to think we made a difference out there in our own Idle Thumbs way.

Here's the only screenshot I managed to take, "IceBox" riding across the frozen tundra of Esamir:

http://steamcommunit...s/?id=123111976

Did you guys do any voice chat? Is the in-game chat running yet? I'd be willing to set up a mumble server if not.

Did you guys do any voice chat? Is the in-game chat running yet? I'd be willing to set up a mumble server if not.

we were using the in game voice chat, but mine was being a little finicky. Mumble is probably the way to go, but either option gets the job done

This is Free to play, right? I'm tempted to try to get in sometime. Seems like it'd be pretty cool. Also, I demand this thread be renamed PlanetsIdle 2humbs. (Yes, that "2 as a T" is intentionally a terrible choice.)

Snooglebum, what happened there again? ;)

FRAPS happened. Apparently it doesn't want to take screenshots with the UI off?

Oh right, and I'm Snooglebum, on the server of Mallory, EU.

I've scheduled in an event. Same place, same time, but I'll be sure to remind everyone on the day. Plus, I know how to make platoons now, but I'll need at least 1 more squad leader who has a reasonable idea of what's going on.

I would like to get in on this. I ballsed around in this game the other day but had no idea what was going on, would be good to play it with some thumbs. I guess my name on there is lacabratron

oh, for the people who were playing yesterday, there are some decent certifications that you can get for only 1 cert point so they end up being a good value per cert point type of thing. I'd recommend these starting certs:

Infantry:

Nanoweave armor for any infantry classes you like to play. It ups your health by 10%

medic - nanoregen device. This is your special ability that heals yourself and others around you when you hit 'f'. it recharges slightly faster

heavy assault - nanite mesh generator. This is your special ability that puts up a shield around you when you hit 'f', it recharges slightly faster

infiltrator - advanced terminal hacking. I'm not sure if you get this by default or not, but this ability allows an infiltrator to hack any enemy terminal and allow your faction to use it. it's great for doing sneaky things like spawning an AMS sunderer in the middle of an enemy base.

vehicles:

get the first level of the 'acquire timer reduction' for most/all of the vehicles (including the max), it's nice to not have to wait as long to spawn a vehicle

get the zoom optics and ammo capacity upgrades for most/all of the weapons on all of your vehicles. It'll help you out a bunch!

Each of these certs only cost 1 point and I think getting all of these should only cost you ~25 cert points but will help you out quite a bit. MAKE SURE YOU EQUIP YOUR NEW CERTS ON YOUR INFANTRY AND VEHICLE LOAD OUTS!! It's so easy to forget to equip them!

when you end up getting certs for your guns, you'll have them available on any other class that is also able to use that gun. For example, if you get a scope on the default engineer gun, your light assault class will also be able to use the new scope since those two classes are able to use the same gun.

anyway hopefully that helps out a bit!

Messed around a bit on my own after the thumbs game. I don't think I'm a fan of the Vanu, their guns are weak and I seem to lose every one on one situation I'd find myself in. New Conglomerate seem to be a bit more my style. Even so, the game being so broad makes it feel like it doesn't really have any focus. Even going into a big firefight, there seems to be a lack of direction in the level design to help the player on the right path.

Messed around a bit on my own after the thumbs game. I don't think I'm a fan of the Vanu, their guns are weak and I seem to lose every one on one situation I'd find myself in. New Conglomerate seem to be a bit more my style. Even so, the game being so broad makes it feel like it doesn't really have any focus. Even going into a big firefight, there seems to be a lack of direction in the level design to help the player on the right path.

I usually consider this the same type of thing I feel in DayZ, where there really isn't any "goal" even if you've acquired enough to sustain and defend yourself. Really the difficulty is ramped up so high in DayZ that the player can easily make goals like going to an airfield or something. Planetside 2 has a pretty steep learning curve but I think it becomes much of the same thing if you have a full comprehension of weapons/vehicles/capture points. For example, making it your squad's mission to shut down the generator so tanks can roll through, or placing a sunderer inconspicuously under a bridge to help the entire faction move forward are really focused things you can task yourself with doing even though there's nobody telling you to do so.

I downloaded it and fixed the video settings then tested out the controls... for 2 hours. I'm liking this but I haven't got a good grasp on the gameplay just yet.

EU / Mallory / Vanu / Miblik / idleforums ID Miblik

I'd be happy to get in on the action next saturday

like deleric said, there aren't really any explicit goals or win conditions. I know that this was an issue for a few of my friends because they were used to games like battlefield where everything is broken down into discrete rounds with a clear victor. ps2 leaves all of that up to your own interpretation.

i've found that i really like establishing my own goals and trying to accomplish them, but it can be hard to come up with ideas to do when you're first starting out because you're not really aware of the possibilities that exist. Running around with a good squad or platoon is amazing and gives you a good idea of what you can do in the game and how to work together to accomplish a goal.

the learning curve on the game is remarkably steep in the beginning. it's kind of ironic that this is a game that doesn't force you to sit through a tutorial (or really have a formal in game tutorial at all) but it's one that would probably benefit from it. Trying to find an organized squad or platoon will help you a lot and running around with the Idle Thumbs crew would be useful too.

Topic updated, thanks for keeping it alive everyone. I plan to jump back once I sort out some real life stuff, hopefully this weekend once the patch hits. Would anyone be interested in saturday morning / noon operation (EU timezone)?

Also, if you posted your info and it is not in the topic please feel free to contact me - I might overlook some posts.

I don't know about planning games for Fri / Sat evenings -- playing Planetside is not what I like to do at those times ;) Saturday afternoon or any time Sunday is best, although the L4D2 games have been on Sunday evenings (Wrestle, if you read this, I was planning to play with you yesterday, but you didn't appear online until I was already playing Planetside with the others!).

When is the Idle Sovereignty deploying again? I've been trying to get some certs for vehicle upgrades on the new guy I made for this.

Also watch this awesome thing.

How about a session on saturday 15:00 London time (which would be 10:00 am in New York and 7:00 am in Los Angeles timezones). That should give us good 2 - 3 hours of playtime before real life night activities in Europe and lunch in US. But i am open to sugestions. Time could be moved around if we find out we have majority of players from western coast.

You can chceck local time for the event here

Plese let me know if anyone is interested - if we find enough players ill update topic and find a way to start an event in steamgroup.