melmer

Project Godus: Don't believe his lies

They're building «everything they've learned from Curiosity?» Isn't that game still pretty much a big fat mess?

It'll be interesting to see how people react to this ... half a million, almost. A lot of money.

They're building «everything they've learned from Curiosity?» Isn't that game still pretty much a big fat mess?

It'll be interesting to see how people react to this ... half a million, almost. A lot of money.

Well they actually say they're taking the lessons they've learned from Curiosity. Isn't that what you'd want them to do?

Yeah, but it seems they haven't really had the time to learn much ... seems like a weird thing to reference like that.

I read that as "Grodus" and thought it was about the bad guy from Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door...

I love how the whole video is addressing the reasons why people don't like Peter Molyneux.

EDIT- woah!

...Not sure how to address this one. I've definately dissapointed people with a couple game releases before, but seeing your whole career as that is probably a bit of a letdown. I've not downloaded Curiosity but it seemed good, to be honest.

damn, i hope my thread title didn't push him over the edge

i think the whole Peter Molyneux over promising thing has become an internet meme, he'll never be able to shrug it off

iXJgYhqStYCMX.png

It's kind of weird. To me it seems like Peter Molyneux just is open enough about his games that the process and change they go through during development is apparent. Of course he shouldn't talk about features he wants in the game in terms of promises, but even games like Syndicate that are dearly loved are nothing like the original plans discussed when they were announced. Black and White wasn't quite what was promised, but it was a pretty unique kind of game that captured my imagination for a while. A ton of safer, more technically successful and probably higher scored games from the same era have failed to imprint themselves in my memory.

Everyone loves Molyneux. Quit hating. ;(

In all seriousness, the whole 'Molyneux overpromising' thing has always completely washed over me like a light drizzle. I count Theme Park, Black & White, and Fable amongst the best gaming experiences I've ever had, and while it seems that a lot of people were expecting even more than what they delivered that doesn't take away the fact that they're great games.

What I find baffling is that despite everyone knowing exactly what Molyneux is like, they still let themselves expect far too much from his games — even though the logical sides of their brains should be saying "OK there's no way it can actually be as good as its creator is saying" and their expectations should be dimmed accordingly, a lot of people don't seem to be doing that.

It's like buying a microwave off a salesman who tells you that it'll completely change your life, then expecting it to actually deliver. Most people wouldn't do that, they'd just expect a very good microwave and nothing more. So why do people get so sucked in by Molyneux? And why not just avoid listening to his interviews and shit like I do, thus circumventing the whole issue altogether?

I dunno, to me Molyneux just seems like an extremely passionate creative who literally just can't help but get carried away about the latest thing he wants to bring to the world. I've come across a lot of people like that, it's just usually they don't get anywhere near the kind of exposure Molyneux does. But he's earned that exposure. The fact he's supposedly been breaking down into tears over disappointing gamers kind of says it all regarding how much he loves his craft.

Guildford is only an hour away, i feel like driving over there and giving him a hug. Maybe i'll pick him up a present on the way, i microwave perhaps.

Man, I had completely forgotten Molyneux was the one who promised he'd make a game that made us cry, is it poetic justice that some people from Idle Thumbs cast did this with Walking Dead?

If only he knew for whom the bell tolled. It wasn't a Video game that was to make us, the readers, cry; but Peter Molyneux himself who was prophesied to weep at the disaster of curiosity, and his apparantly impending death.

It's like buying a microwave off a salesman who tells you that it'll completely change your life, then expecting it to actually deliver. Most people wouldn't do that, they'd just expect a very good microwave and nothing more. So why do people get so sucked in by Molyneux? And why not just avoid listening to his interviews and shit like I do, thus circumventing the whole issue altogether?

I feel like people actually don't believe him at all these days, but still give him shit for it regardless when the games come out.

Obviously we are talking about generic Video game forum community here, and not regular people or his actual peers, who don't read game preview interviews anyway. I think the Idle Thumbs community, who are way more developer-focused, actually love Peter Molyneux's ambition to make crazy falling-in-love-with-a-green-cube ideas.

I still don't get why people were so upset over Fable. I know he talked about his hopes for the project, but it's not like he put these promises on the game box.

Molyneux is a gaming god, in my books. Let me count the reasons why: He wants to push the envelope and do crazy things that haven't been done before. He's genuinely in love with video games. He invented the god sim. What more do you want from a developer?

#backed

My wife is barely talking to me now, because she lost a million gold coins. I walked through the front door a few days ago and… Yeah. It wasn’t a pleasant conversation as you can imagine. We desperately want to fix that.

Ahah, oh man.