melmer

GOTY

The last of us will be the game of the generation I'm sure of it

What about Last Guardian?

I only bought Journey on Friday, so it doesn't feel right to declare it my GOTY, but it is exactly the kind of game I've wanted to see made for years and I only come to appreciate it more each time I play it.

My new game buying habits were really strange this year. I bought Xenoblade in the spring and then bought nothing else until I bought a Wii U (Nintendo Land and Scribblenauts Unlimited). Someone gave me FTL for my birthday in November and I got Journey for myself as a Christmas gift. Other than those I just played older games.

I feel like at this point that's a rumor not an actual video game. I would actually be surprised if it makes this gen. I'm starting to think we may not end up seeing it at all..

What about it's budget, it started officially in 2006? That's 6 years of development costs with no launch window in sight.

I'd say Tribes: Ascend is probably my GOTY so far...but I just got Farcry 3, Dishonored, and X-COM for Christmas...so its all subject to change (I also got Halo 4...but I've never been a big Halo fan so I don't think that's likely to be in the running).

Tribes: Ascend is definately my multiplayer game of the year...but overall I need to play those other 3 games to really decide (since those are all games I've been eagerly awaiting and I decided to get those for Christmas as an excercise in extreme delayed gratification).

What about it's budget, it started officially in 2006? That's 6 years of development costs with no launch window in sight.

Team Ico is part of a larger studio, so I doubt the six years of production has been full-time work for everyone on the project.

The last word we had on it was both that Fumito Ueda was leaving the studio, and that insurmountable technical problems apparently necessitated SCE Santa Monica being brought on board to help finish the game. (I recall reading that large parts of the game were being remade essentially from scratch.)

Needless to say, the game seems to be in a good degree of trouble.

The last of us will be the game of the generation I'm sure of it

Meh, "I want it to be a serious tale, it's not about having fun." The Director of "The Last of Us"

Frankly, it looks good, but zombies, the apocalypse, etc. It looks stunning, but otherwise doesn't really seem "amazing", though I'd like to play it.

The last word we had on it was both that Fumito Ueda was leaving the studio, and that insurmountable technical problems apparently necessitated SCE Santa Monica being brought on board to help finish the game. (I recall reading that large parts of the game were being remade essentially from scratch.)

Needless to say, the game seems to be in a good degree of trouble.

Ueda is still working on it. But certainly things haven't gone according to any sort of reasonable plan. Then again RAGE came out years after it seemed like it was supposed to, and that was still enjoyable. I wouldn't be surprised to see the game on the PS4 as a near launch title, what they were trying to go for in the trailers already made it seem that way.

Ueda is still working on it.

It's not clear how much involvement he has with the game at this point, because while he is still contracted to finish that game, he also does not work there anymore.

I thought he said he was leaving after that project had completed.

Like I said earlier in the thread I think it will be amazing if we ever see this game at all.

My BOTY (Bow of the Year) goes to Far Cry 3.

And Dishonorable mention for GOTY goes to the Far Cry 3 Handbook.

For all the talk of it being a "down" year for AAA games or big budget releases or whatever you'd like to call them, of my top five games on the GOTY list, four are of that nature. In order of release they are Day Z, Borderlands 2, Dishonored, X-COM, and Far Cry 3. Just fucking phenomenal games that at the same time are all crucially flawed.

Honorable Mention - Games I loved playing but have done a disservice of not playing enough: FTL, Planetside 2, Torchlight 2, Endless Space

Honorable Mention - Games I'm sure I would have loved but haven't played for Reasons: Fez, Journey, The Walking Dead (I own it and want to play it through with someone else and we've not gotten the time to do it yet), Mass Effect 3 (I've only paid about $25 for all of 1, 2 and 3 so far, so I wait for sales. I'll probably get From Ashes and Leviathan and play that shit even though paying for DLC of that nature is loathsome)

Honorable Mention - Games I would probably love but know I will eventually buy when they go on sale on Steam and then not play them because I'm terrible: Hotline Miami, Mark, The Ninja, Legends of Grimrock

Honorable Mention - Game I'm incredibly intimidated by and want to play but am glad I got my dad to purchase to eat his retired hours: Crusader Kings II

Honorable Mention - I can't stop playing this fucking game, it's why I haven't played more games, jesus the community is horrible and it came out in 2009 and I should really stop and where's my wallet?: League of Legends

Game that I am as surprised as anyone and slightly saddened is not on any of these lists: Assassin's Creed 3

Dark Souls: This game came out in 2011 why is it on lists!

vvv Yeah, I know. :) It's funny that it feels like it's getting more recognition the year after its release! A lot of people think it's the best game ever, and I put about 6 hours into it. The time when I killed the first gargoyle but it didn't die and so I thought you had to kill both to kill either but then someone told me that you didn't is the time when it put the "harsh but fair, perfect fidelity" to a lie and I got too frustrated and put it down and never picked it up again. It just keeps getting mentioned too often for me to ignore. I had the choice between this and Endless Space as a gift from a friend, and I chose this because I was ready for the experience. Turns out I was not ready for the experience.

Dark Souls: This game came out in 2011 why is it on lists!

PC version is 2012, so i say it gets a pass.

I can walk you through anything you need to know about Dark Souls, Badfinger, so come to me if you want to experience a great game.

Also yeah, GiantBomb has a Best Game of This Year From Last Year category and it works just fine.

Honorable Mention - Games I would probably love but know I will eventually buy when they go on sale on Steam and then not play them because I'm terrible: Hotline Miami, Mark, The Ninja, Legends of Grimrock

Legend of Grimrock is 75% off on Steam at this very moment and you should definitely play it.

I can walk you through anything you need to know about Dark Souls, Badfinger, so come to me if you want to experience a great game.

Also yeah, GiantBomb has a Best Game of This Year From Last Year category and it works just fine.

That's very thoughtful of you, and I may very well take you up on it!

Dark Souls was very much a 2012 game for me, I own it on PC. The reason I didn't play Fez and Journey was that I couldn't be bothered to turn on a console this year. Dark Souls was just in a weird spot where it definitely did not fit on any of my lists but for some reason I feel it needed to be mentioned. Maybe one day I'll get back around to it. Just like I've been meaning to get back around to playing more than 40 hours of Skyrim (not enough hours!). My "should I go down this rabbit hole?" game of the moment is definitely Crusader Kings.

Oh shit I realize I've left off a game:

Honorable Mention - Game that was not a very good game, but was a great overall considered experience: Spec Ops: The Line

e: Ugh my posts are always too long. How can I make them more concise? I blame my Senior English teacher. Speaking of sales, if you think playing through it on easy for like $10 would be worth it to you, Spec: Ops is on sale on Steam for $10 right now.

Apparently my whole Region is not ready for the Dark Souls experience.

As silly a concept as GOTY is, I find I can take it a bit more seriously (if only for a moment)if i split it between my favorite system based game and my favorite story.

System Based Game/s:

FTL - In terms of a game which compelled me to explore i feel FTL was peerless this year. I'm not sure how many horrible deaths i had before i finally completed the mini campaign, but each one was unique and not one of the felt cheap

Crusader Kings 2 - God i wish this game wasn't so intimidating because it deserves a far bigger audience than it has. I had so many interesting experiences with this game just because I utterly fouled up what i was doing, and the world kept turning around me instead of grinding to a stop.

Narrative:

Thomas was Alone - A small but perfectly formed game. Well balanced game play, pitch perfect narration and music, plus a well paced and succinct story which managed to make likeable characters out of rectangles.

Reminded me of why i was so fond of Bastion last year, both relatively modest in what they aimed for but hit their targets perfectly.

Overall X-Com, Borderlands 2, and Walking Dead all get honorable mentions.

Sidenote: I also kinda feel the Witcher 2 enhanced edition should be eligible, which brings up the thorny issues of DLC etc so i wont push it too much.

Hope you guys are right about Dragon's Dogma, as that's the only game I've got to play right now.

Halo 4 co-op might be gorgeous, but if it wasn't co-op and a christmas gift I wouldn't be playing it. The story is as nonsensical and more intrusive than ever; the AI is still mostly terrible as always in a shooter, I hid behind a tiny box in the middle of an arena and a pair of Jackals stood on the others side, 2 feet away, eternally doing nothing, not even circling round the tiny box to shoot me. At least its not as bad as Reach or 3's campaign. I swore off BUYING a Halo game ever again after Reach, and should have sworn it off after 2. Not a single one since the first has touched 1's co-op campaign in terms of enjoyment for me.

As I understand it, Dragon's Dogma is like Monster Hunter. Except I've never played a Monster Hunter game. I'm supposed to run around, killing giant monsters to level my guys up, which in turn allows me to kill more monsters yes?

the AI is still mostly terrible as always in a shooter, I hid behind a tiny box in the middle of an arena and a pair of Jackals stood on the others side, 2 feet away, eternally doing nothing, not even circling round the tiny box to shoot me.

You're looking at this in completely the wrong way. If you play on Legendary, or even on Heroic, you'll realize this behavior is actually quite intelligent and almost certainly intentional.

Not being able to easily bait enemies into situations favorable to yourself is a hallmark of good FPS AI. You have to take risks fighting them, and that is conducive to interesting gameplay.

Hope you guys are right about Dragon's Dogma, as that's the only game I've got to play right now.

As I understand it, Dragon's Dogma is like Monster Hunter. Except I've never played a Monster Hunter game. I'm supposed to run around, killing giant monsters to level my guys up, which in turn allows me to kill more monsters yes?

No, it's not Monster Hunter at all, the people who keep saying this are wrong. It's you with a party fighting large enemies, but the similarities cease there.

It's an open-ended action RPG with a lot of depth and freedom and a supremely excellent combat system. (Like, we're talking parries and combos and cancels, this is where Capcom's expertise with fighting games and 3d action games shines.) Your party members are AI's that learn as you play and will develop strategies and unique "personalities" with regards to how they approach battles.

You have one primary pawn that will stick with you throughout the game, and you can go online to temporarily recruit pawns from other players to fill out your party. You will have to keep finding new pawns to replace them with, because only you and your main pawn gain experience in your game. You may also find that other players have recruited your pawn and returned it to you with additional knowledge and increased fighting ability.

There's some other really wacky stuff in there, it's a great game. (It even has kind of that SotC climbing system, you can scale larger enemies and hack at weak points.)

I'm playing on Heroic, still terribly dumb. I can run and hide at any time, recharging my shield, without them ever following. I can sit far away and snipe to my hearts content. Oh they'll hide occasionally, then peak their heads out without a long range weapon and "bam!" dead again. And I wasn't baiting them, I was literally behind a like 2 foot tall crate and they just forgot I was there. But it's still better than other FPS games if that's what you mean. I'm MUCH more annoyed by things like the godawful soundtrack and etc. than I am by the AI. Was just saying it could have been better is all.

Regardless, Dragon's Dogma definitely sounds cool! Traditional fighting games and combos might not be my thing, but heck whatever. I've got the game and am going to do my best to enjoy it.

You can probably get by just fine button mashing, it might just necessitate grinding out a couple extra levels to brute force it. (The different jobs also all require very different playstyles, so if you want to stay as far away from combos as possible, the mage stuff is actually pretty fun. Painting across multiple targets to release a flurry of lightning is awesome.)

Couple things to keep in mind:

The particulars of stat growth for you and your pawn are determined by whatever jobs you have set when leveling up occurs. It doesn't usually end up being something you need to pay a huge amount of attention to, but it's worth being aware of how your choices are affecting your characters.

It would also be worth having an understanding of pawn inclinations, so you can understand what role your pawn best fills. (There are a few ways to force changes on their behavior, but for the most part they'll just gradually adapt themselves to how you're playing.)

Some things to look over in a wiki, i guess.

There's also a romance thing that can theoretically occur with any NPC in the game. It can kind of break the game if the guy in the inn of Gran Soren gets sweet on you, so punch him or something if he has a pink aura. Heh.

As for Halo 4, i don't think the AI in the game was as good as it has been in Bungie's games, but i still found it totally competent and well above the average that can be expected from most shooters. (If you're going to tell me that you thought it was terrible in Bungie's games too, we're just going to have to disagree.)