Sign in to follow this  
barichnikov

Best Quote? (and Best Ladders?)

Is that a real quote from Machinima? That is some prescient goofing from Idle Thumbs's early few podcasts. "Fallout: Oblivion with guns"

That was in the trailer as well. The fact that they chose a quote in which their game is just compared to another game keeps blowing my mind (Machinima.com).

Wow. It never occurred to me that there are no ladders in Bethesda's games. My mind is blown. I understand that perhaps all the world's ladders might have been destroyed by nuclear war, but surely the people of Skyrim must have developed ladder technology by now.

There are a few ladders in the games but they're just "doors" that lead to a loading screen and then bring you up or down a level. Some towers in Oblivion and some sewers in Fallout have them for instance.

What would you rather have? Actual ladders or the shit that passed for ladders in early games that was just weirdly sloped boards that you could walk up? You know the right answer here.

or the ladders you still see in games which are more like some kind of weird open elevator that goes up when you press forward

Are there any examples of good ladders in games? That aren't slanted boards or 'press W to ladder?'

Also, playing Black Mesa reminded me how much I hate ladders in video games. Especially in that fucking Blast fucking pit.

What is a "good" ladder? Deus Ex: Human Revolution handled ladders fairly well, I think, as did the Splinter Cell games and lots of other games where you're not always moving at 80 MPH.

Are ladders even worth dividing into good and bad? Either you understand how to convey motion well to the player or you don't. I think it's easier for third person games to do ladders then it is for first person games. You have that additional element of character animation.

Hey guys check out how aptly I derailed this post. We're totally having a conversation about ladders :sombrero:

I can't wait for the inevitable "It's Skyrim with ladders!" quote.

ahahahhaa :tup:

When I think of 'bad' ladders it's always in the realm of FPS games. So maybe it's just the dynamic of your character magnetically sticking to a ladder shaped object and gliding up and down that irks me.

This was a pretty memorable ladder for me, as they totally got me with that one. Jerks.

Wow, almost forgot about Mirror's Edge. The ladders were pretty decent in that game. Except when you missed them. ARGH.

The first time I played this I actually thought it went forever. I climbed all the way down when I was probably 90% to the top.

I am so glad ladders aren't in games anymore.

This was a pretty memorable ladder for me, as they totally got me with that one. Jerks.

They put it in the demo, though!

Actually, the FEAR demo was a pretty strange beast. Like Half-Life: Uplink, it was a stitched-together but narratively coherent sample of the game that didn't fit into the actual continuity. I kinda miss demos like that, though not for horror games.