I watched Breaking Bad season 3 and damn. There were a couple of moments that made me go "Holy shit" out loud and DAMMIT at the ending. Next season can't come soon enough.

I just found out Breaking Bad has been renewed for a final season. This is both excellent and sad. It's not a series that needs to go forever, but it has been brilliant so far. After thinking about it, I would definitely choose this series over The Wire. Nothing I've seen has been able to maintain suspension so well and bring it back again and again.

another season? I thought this was going to be the last one...

Well, it's a bit hard to imagine how the next episode will go without everybody dying.

I'm not going to dispute brkls like over one thing or another; but I think comparing The Wire and Breaking Bad isn't really...apt?

They're both good, but for very different reasons, I think. Breaking Bad is more of a mash up of Sopranos and The Shield; while great(though I think it's story is being stretched a bit thin lately and can probably start wrapping up) it's just really different from the allegorical social statements that The Wire offered.

The ability of Breaking Bad to ratchet up the tension and keep it there is unsurpassed in any other show. Particularly where Hank is involved.

The Wire is totally different and the comparison is not really fair. They are both excellent.

I'm not going to dispute brkls like over one thing or another; but I think comparing The Wire and Breaking Bad isn't really...apt?

They're both good, but for very different reasons, I think. Breaking Bad is more of a mash up of Sopranos and The Shield; while great(though I think it's story is being stretched a bit thin lately and can probably start wrapping up) it's just really different from the allegorical social statements that The Wire offered.

You're definitely correct, I was merely making a what-I-would-take-to-a-desert-island kind of opinion.

You're definitely correct, I was merely making a what-I-would-take-to-a-desert-island kind of opinion.

Not much use for social critique on a desert island.

Gotcha, that's a tough decision then :)

Breaking Bad was absolutely amazing. I don't see how there could be another season. It's done... finished...

Season finale of Breaking Bad: Holy shit. Seriously.

Season finale of Breaking Bad: Holy shit. Seriously.

Yup. Though it could've ended with that, I'm the kind of person who don't know what's good for me and am happy as a fifty-cent fiddle on a father's day pie sale that they're doing a final season. There's plenty of interesting stuff and loose threads left to pull at, and the pure quality and confidence of the production just leaves me virtually smiling at the end of each episode – another season? Yes please.

Oh, man. Breaking Bad... So good!

For a moment I thought Gus was going to go on walking looking like Harvey Dent.

Oh, man. Breaking Bad... So good!

For a moment I thought Gus was going to go on walking looking like Harvey Dent.

That part was awesome.

When he walked out of that room I was like "No fucking way... how!?... oh... awesome".

the last two episodes really had me on the edge of my seat.

Yeah breaking bad was pretty cool. It's not really the same as it started, but the character arch is pretty damn awesome. That would have been a good way to end it, but I could see one more season to wrap everything up with Walt.

I really have to start comparing the series to The Shield, there was a lot of similarities in the first season, but now I just compare it because of the really interesting character arch both series are going through

.I thought The Shield ended just pitch perfectly for the character, so I'm looking forward to something possibly similar for Breaking Bad. Neat stuff though, I'd felt notes of Michael Mann in that finale, which is interesting to see.

I recently watched the first three seasons of Breaking Bad on Netflix. The forth season is not yet available.

That show. So good.

Yes! The 4th series is unbearably tense! Such good writing, really does keep you biting your fingers like no other show.

Just finished watching The Sopranos all the way through.

Do we think Tony got 'whacked'?

I think the best thing I can say about Breaking Bad is that, despite all the crazy shit, and the fact that it's a show with drug dealers 'n' shit, one of the absolute tensest moments so far for me was when the two main characters were having a simple conversation. It was near the end of season three:

the episode with the fly.

Even accounting for the third season finale, that is THE episode that stands above the rest. All he was doing was just talking, and I was in my head like "oh man oh man oh man" 'cause I thought he might say Some Shit.

OH MAN

Holy shit the fly episode my god it's amazing. I love that show.

I hate Walt now though. No redeeming features left. It's mad the way TV shows can pull that off so well these days. Complete bastards as the main protagonist, how does that work? Doesn't work for movies...

Party of 5 is well acted anyway that's all I remember, did anything actually happen in it??

If I was at gunpoint, I'd probably say that TV shows can pull it off because they have a lot longer to set the characters up as decent-but-flawed before sending them spiraling into a pit of evil. Movies have, at most, two and a half hours total.

This is actually part of what my current classes are about. One article about this issue in particular, argues that a character doesn't have to be morally good or appealing for us to be drawn to them, as long as there are worse characters around, that we have even more antipathy for.

Note: This article was about Tony Soprano, and I haven't watched Breaking Bad, so it might not apply at all.

There's also the issue of subjective access, alignment and blah blah, but I'm currently writing a 15 page final paper on the subject due tomorrow, so I wont waste words on it here. But it's fascinating nonetheless.

Interesting. Just finished the Sporanos, and I grew to really dislike Tony... and Walt. He is just a douche. I really like Jesse though!

Yeah, Breaking Bad is quickly becoming about Jesse being way in over his head in a world of ridiculously corrupt "real" adults. Granted, I'm watching them as they come to DVD, so I still haven't seen any of Season 4, but shit that show is amazing.

This is actually part of what my current classes are about. One article about this issue in particular, argues that a character doesn't have to be morally good or appealing for us to be drawn to them, as long as there are worse characters around, that we have even more antipathy for.

Note: This article was about Tony Soprano, and I haven't watched Breaking Bad, so it might not apply at all.

There's also the issue of subjective access, alignment and blah blah, but I'm currently writing a 15 page final paper on the subject due tomorrow, so I wont waste words on it here. But it's fascinating nonetheless.

This is quite fascinating. I mean Dexter is a serial killer... but people always say, "but he only goes after really bad people". I'd love to know more about what you're learning about.