toblix

Curiosity – What's Inside the Cube?

What if Bryan gets bored of playing after a few weeks, just like almost everyone with almost every game?

Can you imagine how hilariously this would have played out if the winner had been some 10-year-old?

I liked it better when we didn't know what was inside the cube.

Actually, that's a fun little idea. I doubt it'll be intrinsically life changing, but it's definitely interesting and more than worthy of Molyneux.

Aaah I thought if that months ago but never posted it, I guessed it would be linked to godwhatever. I claiming this one :)

What you thought of it even before mighty prophet of untold power Dan in December?! Impossible!

I was expecting it to be either money or some lame attempt at summarising the mysteries of the universe in a five minute video so I'm honestly surprised.

Damn it, I'm having a hard time coping with the fact that I can't spout nonsense theories about what's inside the cube anymore. Damn, damn.

"I said — and I'm known for these things — I said there's something amazing inside. Something life changing," Molyneux said. "... We could give you a piece of advice ... we could say, here's a wad of cash. But it needs to be more meaningful. It needs to say more about the effort."

"It is the ability to be a digital god," Molyneux continued. 

He really has no idea when to stop. "Digital god"? I mean boy would I be pissed if that was my ultimate prize. Sure, the profit share part of it will be life changing.. but it's hardly enlightenment. And how aren't they just giving him "a wad of cash"? Unless there's more to this prize it seems like they essentially are just giving the money and sticking him in a game.

They're not just sticking him in the game, though. From what I understand, it's an asymmetrical multiplayer game where he gets to be in a better role that everyone else playing the game. It's like the hypothetical Star Trek MMO where a few thousand people work as engineers and maintenance crew and stuff and one dude plays as the captain.

Once the cube opens, you'll find a tiny horse inside. Inside the horse will be a dog that you'll love, but only twenty days later when it blooms.

"I said — and I'm known for these things — I said there's something amazing inside. Something life changing," Molyneux said. "... We could give you a piece of advice ... we could say, here's a wad of cash. But it needs to be more meaningful. It needs to say more about the effort."

He really has no idea when to stop. "Digital god"? I mean boy would I be pissed if that was my ultimate prize. Sure, the profit share part of it will be life changing.. but it's hardly enlightenment. And how aren't they just giving him "a wad of cash"? Unless there's more to this prize it seems like they essentially are just giving the money and sticking him in a game.

I think the difference between those of us who are happy with the end result and those who aren't is the fact that some of us learnt many years ago that whatever Molyneux says, you should temper your expectations by a factor of 10. Anyone who was expecting some kind of deeply philosophical life-changing experience that would make them see the world with new eyes is a nutcase. He's a British game developer, not Morgan Freeman. His prize is highly appropriate considering his professional experience (pioneering god games) and the audience playing Curiosity (Molyneux and/or gaming fans).

I can't express how much I love Peter Molyneux. He's like Europe's J. Allard.

I think the difference between those of us who are happy with the end result and those who aren't is the fact that some of us learnt many years ago that whatever Molyneux says, you should temper your expectations by a factor of 10. Anyone who was expecting some kind of deeply philosophical life-changing experience that would make them see the world with new eyes is a nutcase. He's a British game developer, not Morgan Freeman. His prize is highly appropriate considering his professional experience (pioneering god games) and the audience playing Curiosity (Molyneux and/or gaming fans).

Yeah, this is actually a million times better than anything I expected. Good job, 22cans.

Yeah, and honestly this kind of thing probably would end up being "life-changing" in the sense that getting your first job is "life-changing". It is an unusual position that will almost certainly inform the dude's outlook on life. I think anyone familiar with Molyneux was expecting it to be a lot more shit than it was, and I don't know how anyone came to the belief that any game developer anywhere was going to be able to offer a transcendent, mind-blowing anything as a prize for winning their game, instead of immediately releasing said transcendent experience for everyone to purchase.

Edit: I apparently have a problem with forgetting what my sentence is about half-way through.

I'm jealous.

Why don't I get to be an omnipotent video game troll?

That's a power that only Peter Molyneux, the god-maker, can bestow.

[ADDED] It just occurred to me that the video message was basically zombo.com. You can do anything!

Yea I'd rank Zombo.com as pretty life-changing.

I'm surprised he spoke in a way that's so self-refferential to the way he's portrayed on Kotaku and IGN and Video game forums. I thought they'd at least pretend Curiosity reached an audience beyond that.

Didn't he attend the London arm of the Molyjam, and basically give the pope's blessing to the entire proceeding? He seems extremely self-aware of how people view him on the internet.