toblix

Curiosity – What's Inside the Cube?

The 'about game' button says that the number is undetermined, so presumably they can just flick a 'next layer is final' switch once they feel it's the right time. Or it could just be infinite — what a troll.

That's assuming the dimensions of the cube are physically correct, and that the faces are actually diminishing in size for each layer – has this been confirmed?

Intriguing:

In addition, Peter Molyneux suggests there may be more to the game than it would seem: "There is something we haven't told everybody about when you play the cube. When you play the cube you're also doing something else. You don't realize you're doing it. [...] You're not just doing things in the cube. You don't realize it but you're doing something in something else as well at the same time."

Wasting time? Spending money? Making Molyneux laugh? What?

Intriguing:

In addition, Peter Molyneux suggests there may be more to the game than it would seem: "There is something we haven't told everybody about when you play the cube. When you play the cube you're also doing something else. You don't realize you're doing it. [...] You're not just doing things in the cube. You don't realize it but you're doing something in something else as well at the same time."

Wasting time? Spending money? Making Molyneux laugh? What?

Some sort of Last Starfighter or Ender's Game situation?

That's assuming the dimensions of the cube are physically correct, and that the faces are actually diminishing in size for each layer – has this been confirmed?

According to that wikipedia page, yes: The dimensions of a face shrink by two cubes for each layer. I've messed about with this a couple of times, once on someone else's phone, and once by myself. I can't be arsed with it, but that wikipedia page makes the idea a bit more interesting. I'd assumed it was all being carefully controlled and the cube would open at a very specific time. That might be the case, but if so at least they're putting a decent amount of effort into faking it. That the last layers could be so tiny and blasted through so quickly intrigues me too; it implies that it'll have a long lull of activity in the middle, then rapidly increasing activity toward the end. I bet their servers aren't very well prepped for that…

I bet their servers aren't very well prepped for that…

Their servers aren't even prepped for the current level of activity ...

"There is something we haven't told everybody about when you play the cube. When you play the cube you're also doing something else. You don't realize you're doing it. [...] You're not just doing things in the cube. You don't realize it but you're doing something in something else as well at the same time."

- Every cube is really a person. You monster.

- Molyneux has secretly promised to donate a certain amount to charity for every layer remaining by the end of the year. You monster.

- The cube is a Pandora's box in GODUS that will unleash some banal evil on that virtual world when opened.

- When the cube is opened you receive a bill for the carbon footprint generated by the iDevices on which Curiosity was played and the servers that kept it running.

- 22cans has discovered indisputable evidence that the world we know is part of a vast computer simulation. You are playing this simulation while playing Curiosity. The proof lies within the center of the cube.

Their servers aren't even prepped for the current level of activity ...

Really? Seems fine to me now. Haven't any issues since the big update.

- Every cube is really a person. You monster.

- Molyneux has secretly promised to donate a certain amount to charity for every layer remaining by the end of the year. You monster.

- The cube is a Pandora's box in GODUS that will unleash some banal evil on that virtual world when opened.

- When the cube is opened you receive a bill for the carbon footprint generated by the iDevices on which Curiosity was played and the servers that kept it running.

- 22cans has discovered indisputable evidence that the world we know is part of a vast computer simulation. You are playing this simulation while playing Curiosity. The proof lies within the center of the cube.

Those are some terrifying ideas!

It's probably that they're monitoring people's behaviour and a fantastic spreadsheet at the end will reveal all about how engaged people can be with games and their markets.

Given Molyneux's ability to hilariously overdescribe things, it'll turn out that the mysterious thing you don't realize you're doing will just be load-testing their server architecture for some future game.

I've logged in a couple of times since the update, and it honestly looks like they're camouflaging that jarring update from the server behind randomly disappearing blocks. Every time I start the app there's lots of completely random tapping – nobody working systemically or drawing cocks.

I've logged in a couple of times since the update, and it honestly looks like they're camouflaging that jarring update from the server behind randomly disappearing blocks. Every time I start the app there's lots of completely random tapping – nobody working systemically or drawing cocks.

Really? I've watched people writing messages.

I think there are people who buy the upgrades and then literally just sit there with one hand on their ipad idly tapping all five fingers across an area until it dissolves.

I'm pretty sure it's like that movie I didn't see where you press a red button and someone in the world dies.

I think there are people who buy the upgrades and then literally just sit there with one hand on their ipad idly tapping all five fingers across an area until it dissolves.

That's crazy! You're probably right.

Also, I just watched

where he says that:
  1. Whatever's inside is life-changing,
  2. Some of the images on the faces are "clues,"
  3. He can accelerate the end of the game by selecting an arbitrary layer as the «last one»
  4. He can't add cubelets

You can only buy upgrades like that with cubelets... And even then they only last for a few minutes.

I'm going to venture back into/onto the cube. downloading now

"are you curious?"... not as much as you may think

i can actually see individual cubes being chipped away by other people on my screen

bored now, i think i'll keep it installed and check in every now and again

I had a quick play with this again. Overall, it reminds me of Noby Noby Boy, except with no charm and absolutely nothing to capture my imagination.

The fact that fixing the server issues took so long and that they went to Kickstarter for Godus makes me think they dont have a lot of money and therefore its not a monetary prize at the center.

I wonder if its a job at 22 Cans?