toblix

Elite: Dangerous (Kickstarter)

Oh yeah, Horizons has updated to 2.0.7, which supports the release version if the Oculus SDK:

"Enhanced VR support

- Added support for Oculus 1.3 SDK

- Added new VR specific graphics presets (VR Low and VR High)

- Added Hangar main menu background when HMD is present

- Added VR experience demo as a scenario in the tutorials menu

- Added option for SRV to maintain level horizon if player finds motion uncomfortable​ - Please note: This will not be on by default, users will need to select this option to activate it

- Added option for SRV blackout when rolling if player finds motion uncomfortable - Please note: This will not be on by default, users will need to select this option to activate it

- Adjusted VR and panel positions in the SRV

- Improved UI mesh tessellation for rendering the front-end on VR

- Preflight checklist can be completed with just a controller

- Updated various warnings when using Head Mounted Displays

- Crash fix when entering open play with HMD active

- Crash fix when entering CQC with HMD active

"

I wonder if the blue-hued landing bay highlights are specific for engineers or if a Frontier dev is hacking the color palette.

Yaay! Betas announced for 2.1 / 1.6 for the week ending May 8th! There will be livestreams in the meantime, starting next Thursday :). There's a whole load of new info that was released over the last couple of days, but I'm too tired to summarise :P. You can look here https://community.elitedangerous.com/theengineersbetadate and here: https://community.elitedangerous.com/newsletter120

The new UI interfaces look amazing. Those and the new sorting/bookmarking features of the galaxy map will go a long way to make the game more enjoyable to play. The game will have surpassed its previous iterations (Frontier) after this patch.

1d2500140a45b3e22f7bba29fbfb27bb02f5e3c9

596050cbe89b2d7ec892d927e948fcfa39309a57

Space Traffic Control around bases:

Engineer Bases:

d85bbfa282b25de5be56e972945db79078f1f077

Possibly different star render engines, or perhaps atmospheric effects?

e8a2b4d1052faf6faca5dec64e3e67000f8abee9

Ice mining for volatiles is finally a thing, making icy rings around planets useful and adding a new environment to fly in:

e941755464aa863b52553d15363cae4d1f2fbeea

The continuing release of cool details makes me very excited for the 2.1 beta, due next week. Yesterday, I saw the livestream focused on missions. It definitely looks like they are getting there! Frontier have made a playlist of the livestreams themselves (a bit long for people who aren't  REALLY into the game), as well as video clips shown in the streams:

Included videos include updates to maps and outfitting, new weapons, ice mining, and approaching an engineer's base.

The final scheduled livestream will be next tuesday, focusing on the engineers themselves. This week's newsletter gave plenty of information to start with: http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e&id=13b2599b4f

IT looks like there are up to 5 tiers of weapon mods, and each has a number of effects that can have positive and negative effects drawn randomnly from a range of values. The effects that we've seen over the last few weeks look like they may be randomly generated special extras rather than things we buy specifically. 

6477955464834292e0b68515f67f44e9079be5e8

It's good to see that there's at leas one female engineer, Liz Ryder- she's apparently mad about explosives :).

The engineers' bases look very cool, blended carefully into the scenery unlike other bases. 

ab510790338c0abcfca9393d116b92d83191c4b6

IN other exciting news, Horizons wil be launching on Xbox One soon. Michael brooks said last week that the surface rendering is more detailed and more effficient now, so I think that's what's made it possible

Wookie,

I didn't have time to do much more than skim the livestreams. Are they adding completely new missions to the mission lists in 2.1 or are they just going to be UI updates/bugfixes to the existing mission types?

Hey Doc, I think that the mission types will be similar for the most part, but there will be substantial changes to them

-- mission items / targets will appear in specific locations, revealed by scanning the system or nav beacon

-- rewards can include things other than credits (materials or commodities)

-- it will be much clearer what will be required

-- you won't have to drop out of super cruise to discuss alternative missions

-- I think that artificial rank barriers are going

-- surface missions could be a lot harder now surface battles with npc ships are in

I think they may have mentioned some new mission types, but can't remember the details.

Tonight's live stream was focused on the engineers themselves, with a few more videos added to the playlist

-- if you find a base and visit without an invitation, they will attack you after suitable warning!

-- you will start to get invitations from engineers by mail, after fulfilling certain criteria that vary according to backstory and interests of individual engineers

-- it sounds like every engineer base is unique and hand crafted

-- pretty much every type of activity will produce additional resources for crafting

-- resources required for upgrades will make sense... they give the example of scanning FSD wakes of other ships to improve your FSD

The planned beta release date is this Thursday (May 5). The beta will include a period of mayhem, where all upgrades will be easily available for testing, because they want to see how crazy we can get!

Wookie,

re: Missions - that's what I thought was going in. It's a good upgrade, and I'm sure they'll add more mission types later. Obviously when they start introducing capital ships and aliens the new missions write themselves. I'm looking forward to actually doing some missions now that I can identify what's going on in the Unidentified Signal Sources.

Engineer's beta is live, changelog: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=246284

Everything here looks great and should substantially improve the game.

I hope all the new components are stored in the massless "component" cargo inventory that goes with you from ship to ship.

Given that all coded information is stored in your ship's inbox that has a 30 day expiration timer, I wonder if valuable codes are lost after 30 days.

Wookie, having not going out and collecting any current components, is there a limit to how much you can collect?

I've just started downloading the beta :). The usual trick of copying files into the target directory to minimise load times didn't wo k, do I'm stuck waiting... Boo :P!

The previous limit for materials was 300 things. I think they said on the last live stream that they will add room for 100 data items, but look at balancing this in beta.

Looking through the ginormous change log, I did notice new missions

The only 'new mission' references I caught were 'new planetside POIs'. Did I miss any?

Ugh, none of the additions make me feel like playing again. The game already had too many things to stock your ship with.

"Added new planetary mission types / Added new scan mission types". I don't blame you for missing them!

TL,DW (for now): I am very impressed with pretty much everything! Even with relaxed introduction requirements, it will probably be ages (or Mayhem) before I can test any actual engineer recipes due to such a wide range of materials required that I have no idea how to get. However, the 1.6 improvements are excellent, and the framerate planet side is hugely improved. I just exceed min spec for Occulus rift, and mostly got 90 FPS when approaching my first engineer base.

Scanning USS now gives a very brief description and number of threats. I had a fight in one, and got a couple of different materials to scoop up: focusing crystals and phase somethings. I picked normal and refined focusing crystals, but left flawed crystals behind, so there are clearly quality tiers of mats that may affect the stat rolls

Wookie, I think the line you said about the planetary/scan missions is what I meant. I guess scan missions could be in space too. Interesting notes about the component reward choices.

I probably won't get a chance to play much until late June; it's grant proposal deadline and conference talk time.

Toblix, I have the impression that the re-vamped game UI for ship outfitting would make ship layouts easier for you; however, the game is balanced around any one ship not being able to stock everything to prevent players from just centering around one jack-of-all-trades supership. So if too many things is a negative, I have a feeling it will remain so.

Toblix, even ignoring the new loot and crafting stuff, the 1.6 free update substantially improves just about every aspect of the game.

I've just been messing around with the souped up thrusters designed to make small ships desirable again. I stuck them on an eagle, and got over 510 m/s with ridiculously good manoeuvrability, an pd I've heard of people getting other ships over 600! I've also seen people complaining on the forum that they can't easily get everything in their Python anymore, which is fine by me! And someone from Frontier reckons that 800 has been done

Here is an example that shows the difference enhanced thrusters makes for a SIDEWINDER!

Salvage missions, and perhaps all search missions, are much more palatable now :). I just tried one. Using the advanced discovery scanner, I was able to determine the astronomical body where the target was last seen; I could also have done this by scanning the nav beacon. I tried a number of signal sources when I wad close to that moon, but then when I found the right one, it was sure obvious (blue text and mission target). It's great that we can scan USS without dropping out of supercruise

Watching a number of you tube let's play previews, I'm glad to see that all the missions got a workover to the extent that most of the old missions should now be new again. It really shows that the Unidentified Signal Sources in the current client are really just placeholders. Looking foward to when I can dig in and start playing again.

I'm totally spoiled for the live game now! I had a brief session to fit out a courier with a prismatic shield while I can (this is my first and probably only week at Rank 3 after the 4 week probation period). I am totally in love with the 2.1 courier with the enhanced engine module (and swanky new seat :P). I've just picked up the last bits I need for the first clean engine tune up, and will likely make the trek back to the workshop tomorrow.

Just to be clear, most of the things I am so excited about are in the 1.6 beta for the base game: I have barely touched the Engineer content (though the enhanced thrusters for small ships might be restricted, since I only saw them for sale at one of the engineer bases and n the beta).

Woohoo! Mayhem has started in the 2.1 beta!

-- all engineers know all recipes

-- material requirements changed to fish

-- progress through engineer rep accelerated

-- temporary markets set up in engineer bases to sell fish

The idea is to have the most outlandish module combinations possible!

Another note from watching let's plays of the beta client: Mission updates are much more frequent now so you know if you're in the right spot for a mission when you jump into an encounter. This will improve my playtime 100% as I was afraid of wasting time looking for things.

Yep, "FIND THESE THINGS" missions are far more enjoyable now that they are more directed... there's even a nifty new effect for planetside searches. All in all, while there may not be many more new missions, many more missions are now fun to do. Also, I check out pretty every USS in beta (to see what type it is whilst in supercruise), and pretty much ignore USSS in the live game

Oooh, the 2.1 release is planned for 26 May (next Thursday), with Horizons launching on Xbox One on the 3rd according to tonight's livestream