toblix

Elite: Dangerous (Kickstarter)

Elite Dangerous 1.4 is released today (servers are currently down while the new build is propagating). This is the full release on Xbox One, and Xbox pilots will share the same universe as the PC and Mac pilots. It doesn't look like Xbox pilots will meet PC pilots though. 

Headline features:

- CQC Added!
- Imperial Eagle added
- Federal Gunship added
- Federal Assault Ship added
- Hazardous resource extraction sites added
- Compromised nav beacons added
- Legal salvage missions added
- Added Outfitting for CQC
- Changed how powerplant damage is handled - small chance of instant destruction, otherwise malfunctions and halved power output
- Assign Imperial Eagles to those who should have them from their backer rewards

They are ginormous as normal :D

Did a quick look into the 1.4 client last night and in the forums:

1) Didn't explode on login - good.

2) CQC has replaced the "tutorial" section, as expected.

3) Missions look like they got a bit of an overhaul, good. Still not the missions I'm dreaming of, but it's going in the right direction.

From the forums:

4) NPC Interdictions are much much more common and much much harder to evade. Watch out. Conversely, player interdictions are now harder to get.

5) Shields on a couple of ships are either weaker, or the NPCs are using rebalanced weapons and tearing through shields much faster.

6) Do not explore until Friday; they're updating the database servers for exploration until Thursday and there have been numerous reports of exploration not counting in the last day. Seriously, they should have made that database upgrade a major announcement.

I suspect a spot patch to fix up problems 4&5 within a reasonable time frame. #6 is just a failure on Frontier's part. Otherwise, looking forward to 2.0 (Horizons).

Edit: Just glanced at the forums again. The TL;DR summary is: Until they fix the chain interdiction problem and the exploration database, the only thing worth doing is bounty hunting. Edit 2: And mining, if you can avoid interdictions.

Ug on NPC interdictions. If I get interdicted by a cop who just wants to check me out despite never having smuggled once in my career, I'm going to choke someone.

I've been mining for a couple of hours. Prospectors now give you loads of fragments per rock (30-50), and if you have empty bins in the refinery, it will automatically assign materials to them, making things a lot more automated.

I also tried a hazardous extraction site, and that was pretty hair raising! I was chased by big beefy ships, but luckily my clipper could run away.

Graphics are now considerably more shiny than they were, and the stutter I noticed in 1.3 seems to be gone

Dr. Wookie, I still need a good guide to drone mining. I understand the refinery aspect, but how many drones and what type do you typically need to mine with style?

I was under the impression that prospecting drones just gave you asteroid mineral composition and didn't actually mine ore for you; you had to use mining lasers and retrieval drones to get the ore.

Yep, you still need mining lasers, but using prospectors increases the yield :). You can flit around yourself, scooping up fragments, but collector drones will do it for you.

I use a 10 bin refinery, 2 collector drones and 1 prospector drone at the moment. Waiting for the collectors to do their thing can be tense, especially if you have other ships sidling up! A python coold probably fit better drone controllers, but couldn't run away as quickly.

By the way, if you target something when releasing a collector, it will get just that then expire; releasing a collector with no targets makes it hang around collecting everything it can for a few minutes.

Thanks for the info. I knew that a 9-10 bin refinery was the way to go. Now I just need to figure out an optimal loadout that'll give me 2 collectors and 1 prospector while optimizing for cargo space and a shield (because a shield is cheaper than reinforced hull and I need that time to boost escape pirates).

How's this: (10.7M Cr Asp Explorer Miner, 96T space)

http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/05D5C5D4D4A5D5C2m2m0p0p24240300010n0504C0431q2rP4.Iw18WQ==.Aw18WQ==

(The only issue I see here is that once I get beyond 413T mass that's higher than the max shield rating so I assume they won't work).

I assume you're in something like this: (28M Cr Imperial Clipper Miner, 200T space)

http://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_clipper/06D5D5D5D5D5D4C0u0u2m2m0001030m0605482002C02rP4.Iw18aQ==.Aw18aQ==

Which is something to shoot for as a minimal build, improving as necessary.

While I was at it, I put together what I consider a minimal miner: (4.532M Cr Type 6 Hauler Miner, 64T space)

http://coriolis.io/outfit/type_6_transporter/03C4D4A2D2D2D4C2l2l0003010404205gC02rP4.Iw1-kA==.Aw1-kA==

Everything below this just didn't have the cargo capacity to seem worthwhile given the travel time out.

I priced out a Type 7 for around 25M but it only has 160T space, so it makes more sense to shoot for the Imp Clipper rather than switch over.

I guess the real question is: How many drone limpets do you usually take to fill out X cargo space.

Also, instead of gimballed autocannons, do I just want to go with smart missiles to fire-and-forget at pursuers, after which I high-tail it out of there?

I only have one class 2 mining laser, and that pumps out fragments way faster than the collectors can scoop them up. Maybe a single class 1 mining laser would be better matched.

If you're going out of civilisation to collect, then your asp looks fine. If you want to hang around systems with pristine metallic rings and full size stations to sell stuff at, I found some at

HIP 21991 and HIP 19934. 21991 had a high tech economy, while HIP 19934 1 has a lo intensity res in its metallic ring.

Everything is much more dangerous right now, although it might settle down, like it did after 1.2. My clipper has large turreted burst lasers, and class A thrusters to get out of trouble, but those might not be needed where you're going.

Re number of limpets, I went out with 50, and that was slightly too many for my 128 t hold.

Here's a bit of motivation :P

post-33997-0-46206200-1444300666_thumb.jpg

post-33997-0-32537700-1444300695_thumb.jpg

RIngs are prettier too

post-33997-0-91276300-1444300696_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the mining tips Wookie! Also, the exploration data servers have fully updated so exploring should now work again. Edit: Frontier has told everyone to not explore while they fix bugs. Edit 2: Fixed!

Hoping they tweak the interdictions down slightly, or (better) make the interdictions slightly easier to beat and/or fix the sudden inescapable interdiction phenomenon.

*adds a chaff launcher to all ships*

Modified Type-6 basic miner loadout (8M Cr, 64T capacity):

http://coriolis.io/outfit/type_6_transporter/23A4A4A2D3A2D4C2l2l00030804042048C0C5P4.Iw1+gDMQ.Aw1-kA==?bn=RandalType6Miner

99.8% power usage without the fuel scoop, hit chaff and boost away at any sign of danger.

This is SERIOUSLY impressive! A single shot (albeit unsteady) zoom out from a rover and crash site to a planetoid in space (only a few hundred km across):

The newsletter is cool too, giving details of the skimmers, which are combatants on the scale of the rovers:

6d16235b761d5f294138ae41b2563c15.jpg

"In this week's Dev Update Michael Brookes shed new light on the skimmers you'll meet on the planet surfaces in Elite Dangerous: Horizons.

Skimmers are remote controlled security and defence drones primarily designed to protect positions and restrict movement. They are designed to be hard to engage with ships, so the SRV, with its rapid fire guns is the best way to tackle them. Be warned that while most rely on their armour, some more advanced skimmers may have shields.

They are remotely controlled and will usually have a command and control centre or signal relay nearby – these define the area in which the skimmers linked to that system can operate. They are specifically designed for surface operations on planets and are very manoeuvrable, especially when close to the ground.

Initial concept art for the 'sentry' skimmer - seen in Newsletter 89
Several manufacturers have competed in the skimmer market over recent centuries, with Core Dynamics being the most successful, largely due to support from its large contracts with the Federal Military, but does sell its range throughout human space, including through a wholly owned subsidiary Imperial Dynamics, selling rebranded versions of the same units. There are many models of skimmer available, each suited for a different role. Here are the most successful:

•Core Dynamics S4 ‘sentry’ skimmer – this is the most widely used skimmer in the vast semi-automated security and protection industry throughout the galaxy, and a mainstay product for Core Dynamics. Comes as standard with a belly-mounted standard recoil-ready small weapon mount, which will take both kinetic and thermal weapons. Designed with an automated alert system so a single pilot can operate multiple drones.

•Core Dynamics S5LM  ‘guardian’ skimmer – Based on their S4 skimmers but with reduced weight, and with an enhanced missile launcher weapon mount. A more expensive solution, but often used to protect higher value installations. It sacrifices armour to carry the weight of missiles and so is more vulnerable.

•Achilles Corp Stinger-2 attack skimmer – Smaller and quicker than Core Dynamics offerings in this sector, and also cheaper to buy. It has no weapon mount, but carries explosives, and can be directed by its pilot to self destruct, taking out its target. Some installations use these skimmers to form a last line of defence for sensitive bases and outposts. In essence they are a flying bomb. The Achilles Corporation recently cut down its range of skimmers just to the Stinger-2, but it is rumoured they will be launching new skimmers in the next few years.

•Core Dynamics S9 ‘goliath’ skimmer – A very effective solution to your security needs. Using four surface thrusters this armoured and well-armed skimmer is the most effective on the market. Its greater cost means it is generally only used by military clients, and use is not permitted in some jurisdictions given their offensive abilities.

While most skimmers are usually found near bases, given the recent rise in scavenging of shipwrecks, some transport vessels with higher value cargoes now carry automated distress response packages which include skimmers, and they are deployed automatically in the event of a crash to secure the site and help protect any survivors.

We'll have more details on the skimmers, and more images of them in action for you soon. Pre-order now, and be ready to take on these new assailants as soon as Elite Dangerous: Horizons launches later this year."

Initial mining notes:

- Type 6 miner works great. 20 limpets is about the right number for 66T space.

- 2 Type 1 mining lasers produces ore about 1.5x speed of pickup, which works.

- Getting around 250-600k a run in the Pristine metal rich rings.

Mining/General Notes 2:

- Don't forget to sell all your cargo before going back to the belt, you may get 2 separate pirates after you before you make it back in range of the station's guns *cough*. That being said, I'm avoiding about 80% of interdictions - it's good to see I can still manage it.

- That easy Empire promotion mission may disappear in the 15 minutes it takes to buy a Viper and load it for combat.

- 3 collector drones work better with 2 Type 1 mining lasers, otherwise there's a period where you have to stop and wait for collection.

Yes, yes I did. So they're scouting probes. Get ready for Thargoid misjumps!

Note: I just found out about the crazy payouts for long-distance smuggling. May start doing that to make credits while it lasts.

The really high payouts are unlocked at high trade ranks, but as a broker I get the occasional 500 k mission :). I'm sticking around HIP 21991 right now, as it has haz res for combat, and great mining. It has the occasional long range mission, which then seems to lead to mining missions; I have plenty of platinum and osmium to hawk, and painite is pretty easy to come by too :P

LIVESTREAM "HOW TO MAKE A REAL WORLD"

There was a youtube live stream on how they build their airless worlds, and it is incredibly impressive from a science standpoint at least, regardless of whether there is anything to do down there :P!

They show lots of videos of rocky planets, and some early work (3 months old) of icy worlds. The videos are large, and stutter the first time round (as they played them), but they repeat them to get a much smoother result in each case. The videos were taken from the planet viewer module, so there is no sky.

--- Airless worlds make up 61% of all planets in the galaxy... the 1% is important, because that's still another few billion worlds or so :P

--- The stellar forge created each planet from scratch, with the contents dependent on where it is in the galaxy, and how old it is. 

--- Mountains and canyons are created by tectonic activity

--- Cratering is consier over the lifetime of the planet; if it is phase locked, then the side facing space is far more vulnerable to cratering

--- planetary sizes range from  afew hundred km (potato-like) to 22,000 km (spherical, and nearly 10 times the size of Earth) at a 1:1 scale

--- The stellar forge data has been available for each planet all along, but they have not had the chance to implement it fully

--- If you flattened out all of the visitable planets in Horizons, they would cover an area of 2,238,016,000,000,000,000 square km!

EDIT TImestamps from youtuber Anomino anomino:

Ice planet (cracked surface)

Rocky planet
Small planetoid
Big rounded planet (moon-like surface)
Potato planetoid (Braben's)
Marks-like planet surface
The rest is basically a QA about technical non-gameplay stuff, starts at

Wookie, as a fellow HIP 21991 occupant, what do you think would be the minimal best combat ship/loadout for the haz res site? Probably a Vulture?

From weekly dev update:

"Next week the second batch of player group backed minor factions should go live. Thanks to some brilliant feedback from our players, we’ve made progress with fixing some odd behaviour with influence levels – we hope to address this next week. 

Exploration data should be operating smoothly now after some issues since the 1.4 release. If you do encounter a further issue then make sure to raise a bug and we’ll investigate. 

We are currently working on a client update for PC/Mac and Xbox One, all being well these will be released next week. As well as various fixes we’re adjusting the NPC interdiction so it isn’t quite as punishing as it is at the moment.

Thanks,

Michael"

1) Hm, influence levels. Better do your donation missions while you can in case they get tuned down.

2) Player group backed minor factions. Is this going to be a list of minor factions in Powerplay? Edit: I seem to remember the devs saying they'd expand to 20 factions eventually, maybe this is that.

People used to spend hours at res or combat zones, but it doesn't look like they can just tank anymore, due to the new effectiveness of npc wings. So I suggest you go for it in whatever you fancy and see what you can cope with. Don't take anything in your hold (not even limpets), or pirates will attack on sight; eith an empty hold, you can pick and choose targets.

Player factions are minor factions in the same way that every star system has minor factions. If they take over enough systems they could possibly become Powers. However they would still be controlled in game by Frontier, in consultation with the players.

DETAILS, PICS AND VIDEO OF SRV IN ACTION

The main focus of this week's newsletter is the SRV

69caf98dc770cf8b5420ccd539d3129e723dfae6

"We’ve approached adding the SRV in the same way that we did when originally adding the flight controls into the game. They key here is to have the driving as a fun experience in itself as well as with the gameplay elements layered on top of it. As with the ships we have a robust physics system at the core and it’s with the controls we turn that into a fun experience.

The SRV has some cool advantages over normal ground vehicles you may be used to, the most obvious of which are the thrusters. These provide two key features, the first is the ability to boost off the surface allowing for powered jumps to get out of craters or to cross chasms. While in the air you can you can manually adjust the thrusters in the same way as in a ship with Flight Assist turned off. This allows for some amazing acrobatics as well as allowing you to reach locations that would be difficult to reach with normal driving. It’s also useful if you get yourself stuck!

The Scarab's turret in action - more on SRV weaponry soon
As with the rest of the game the surface of the worlds you can land on is recreated on a 1:1 scale, not only spatially but with gravity as well. Gravity has a big effect on the handling of the SRV and here the thrusters provide their second major function. When testing the SRV in different environments there are edge cases with very low gravity and extremely high gravity where the SRV becomes impossible to handle. The thrusters help compensate for these extremes in handling, but only to a limited degree – it feels very different driving on a tiny moon compared to a massive terrestrial planet.

As already mentioned making the driving fun in itself is an important goal for us. While the thrusters do add to a large extent (there’s something quite magical with boosting out of a crater and into the sunrise!) the actual contact with the vehicle and the surface provides a lot of feedback. Similar to sand buggies, if you try to push the SRV’s performance then you need to work harder to keep it under control. Feedback is very important here – the ships audio and VFX, along with the handling, create the response you need to let you know what’s going on.

The SRV is equipped with a turret optimised for engaging local opponents like skimmers (see last week’s dev update for more information on these) and other SRV’s (if hostile players are in the area). In theory you could take on a ship, but ship mounted weapons are much more powerful than the SRV’s so it’s best not to! You should also beware some of large defensive turrets – these are equipped to tackle low flying ships, but pose a threat to SRVs as well.

Combat is just one feature of an SRV. The Scarab is capable of carrying two cargo canisters and also has a new device for finding things on the surface – more on that in a couple of weeks’ time!"

0649f6c7af68cbb7b810f228b9c4793dc3329115

There was also another short video of the SRV in action, straight from the desk of David Braben :)

This looks ridiculously fun, although I hope the sound is brought up to the rest of the game's standards!

FIRST HORIZONS GAMEPLAY VIDEO: "INSIDE THE SRV" LIVESTREAM

Yesterday there was another livestream, this time based on the SRV (buggy). It focuses on the design and mechanics of the SRV rather than gameplay, but they spend the time hooning around canyons, jumping over craters, and having a good look round the SRV as well as a Cobra from ground level. Some of the highlights for me were when they sent the ship off into orbit while they do their thing, and calling it back. I thought the whole video was fascinating (once it gets going at around the 10 minute mark); however, you could get a lot just from about 10:30-15:00, and 1:03:00-1:05:10.

NOW THE BAD NEWS (FOR MAC USERS)

Frontier have said that they are unable to bring Horizons to Mac at this time, because the OS is incompatible with the compute shaders they are using. They say that they are keen to release it if the situation changes. Anyone who preordered and wants a refund can get one by sending a support ticket.

What I'm really looking forward to seeing is previews of the types of objects you can interact with using the SRV. Secret bases, ships, SRV/SRV combat, "other".

The main problem I can see with the SRVs is getting stuck in a deep crevice and not being able to get out. Did they address that in this or a previous video?

looking at this guy, I think we would have to be very unlucky to get jammed in a chasm that we couldn't thrust out ofpost-33997-0-28988200-1445587672_thumb.jpeg

Maybe the ship could winch yo out of a very tight spot

Oooh, another sneak peek from the desk of David Braben, this time combinded ship and SRV attack of an enemy base:

"Here is this week’s quick-and-dirty unedited video capture from the Planetary Landings update for Horizons (using the same dev machines as before) as we begin a raid on a surface base, using two SRVs and a ship. Still quite a few elements need work which I won’t list here, but you can see there's been good progress since last week."

News update on Unidentified Artifacts (UAs):

"We've also observed that they're spreading at an alarming rate over a huge volume of space. We learned a while ago that UAs seem to align themselves towards Merope in the Pleiades, and there is evidence that the systems containing UAs form a 'shell' around Merope at distances between 135 and 150 light years. Current estimates place the potential number of UAs in this region at thousands – possibly even tens of thousands."
"This undeniable explosion in numbers is worrying, and we don't yet know its significance. But rest assured that we're working hard, and we hope to have some conclusions soon."

I notice that this coincides with the planned construction of a deep space exploration base in the Pleiades cluster.

So, odds on Thargoids or some kind of Berserker-style self-replicating AI?

Hadn't seen that! However, I did pick up on the Galnet reports of increasing problems at stations where research on UAs takes place... this is very intriguing!

I'm officially inaconda now- after 10 months, 2 weeks, no grind :D! I've tried it as a long range trader, in time for the tail end of the station community goal, and just tested it as a miner with 8 collection limpets and 2 small mining lasers (they didn't have medium where i was). The collectors were scooping up fragments faster than I was making them in some cases, and I still had over 300 tons of cargo space... what a beast!

I was going to catch up everything from the last week tomorrow, after the newsletter, but since I'm here I might as well do it now.

First up is last week's peek of the week, inside an Asp Scout, with a Viper Mk 4 and a SRV down below:

e5f30f6771d5d25744c260ad52398d4395b74513

The second thing is the combat livestream. This wasn't quite as overwhelmingly awesome as the previous streams, since those built on the previous sneaky peaks while this one took a step back. However, it does show a cobra flying across a planet, a SRV going to a (placed) crash site guarded by skimmers, and a bit of Q and A. The best stuff can be found around 24-34 minutes in.