toblix

Elite: Dangerous (Kickstarter)

That didn't have anything to do with the problem--some how the drivers stopped working once I installed E:D. Managed to get everything up by installing CH's programming software.

So far I've only managed to fly to another station and successfully dock, but this might be the best game ever. I'm going to need a throttle.

That didn't have anything to do with the problem--some how the drivers stopped working once I installed E:D. Managed to get everything up by installing CH's programming software.

So far I've only managed to fly to another station and successfully dock, but this might be the best game ever. I'm going to need a throttle.

Great news :)!

Did you get it on steam? If so, do you notice any advantage? I might get a second account so I can go really far into the galaxy while still being able to connect with civilization (yes, I probably do need help :P)

My Premium Backers' box set arrived yesterday, and it looks fantastic... a relief given how shonky some of the initial merch was.

Last night I decided to aim for the lightest, jumpiest asp I could, and was so proud that I got 35 ly on a full tank. One jump into the black, I realised I hadn't put any scanners on! Oopsie!

Steam just launches the E:D client, so any advantage is probably just the auto updating and having the Steam overlay (which is good if you want to check your FPS while flying).

I still haven't done anything much yet, as I've spent the last couple evenings wrapping my head around the CH Control Manager. The CHCM lets you designate inputs for the stick, and you can even use a button as a shift key to essentially double the functionality of your stick. I've got most of the primary commands set up on just a single stick (without the throttle...for now), and it's very handy to not have to press a bunch of keys on the keyboard. For instance, I've got one hat mapped to shift+WASD while pressing the pinky trigger and the cardinal buttons, and the hat reverts to just WASD when I release the pinky trigger.

This is fantastic for when you get into landing so that I can just zero out the throttle, pull the pinky trigger, and then use a hat for maneuvering thrusters to zero in on the pad. I'm sure I'll evolve my bindings as I go, but it's a very cool feature to have so that I can minimize the amount of KB usage. I imagine it'll be even better when I can add a proper throttle and a few more buttons and hats into the mix.

I was playing with a stick + keyboard and adding a throttle with some hats on it was what pushed it over into the turbo cool zone. Having your thrusters on all usable by your thumb on the throttle is just so much fun. Also having a hat solely for looking around the cockpit is great, but still kinda clunky. Nothing an Oculus (or more realistically a Vive I guess) won't solve though.  :eyebrow:

In the latest dev update, they revealed that they will reveal powerplay next week!

More usefully, they also described prospector drones that can determine the compositions of asteroids before you zap it. Also, two new materials will be available for mining, painite (~35,000 cr/ton) and osmium. The idea is to make mining more scalable.

Also they revealed that drones will be universal, and require specific controllers. So someone with 5 drones, a prospector control module and a collector control module could find the composition of 3 asteroids, then use 2 drones to collect fragments

I'll have to log in this weekend to make sure this hasn't already gone into GalNet, but I wish that the group effort campaigns were noted with a different color or somesuch so I'd always know which ones were going on. Hopefully Powerplay will address that.

So I suffered an interdiction and decided that instead of fleeing, I was going to shoot that space jerk. About five minutes into the fight, two federation eagles swooped in to assist me and I collected a claim for the space jerk's bounty.

Where I do I redeem my claim for credits? I wasn't actively searching for this guy, and it only seems to mention that I need to be at Federation base--do I need to go to a specific system to get my money?

So I suffered an interdiction and decided that instead of fleeing, I was going to shoot that space jerk. About five minutes into the fight, two federation eagles swooped in to assist me and I collected a claim for the space jerk's bounty.

Where I do I redeem my claim for credits? I wasn't actively searching for this guy, and it only seems to mention that I need to be at Federation base--do I need to go to a specific system to get my money?

You can always cash in the bounty in the system you earned it. It used to be that the controlling faction of the station or outpost mattered, but now you can turn in bounties for any faction in the system at any station or outpost in that system. Some factions only operate in one system, so if you jump away without claiming the bounty, it can be hard to figure out where to turn it in.

If you earn a bounty from the Federation, Empire, or Alliance, the you can claim it in any system with that alignment.

So how come when I land at a Fed-controlled base I can't claim my reward? It wasn't like I was bounty hunting on purpose--an NPC interdicted me and I decided to blow him up instead of running away. The voucher makes no note of what system I was in, it just says "Federation."

Powerplay update! I'll let Dr. Wookiee make with the verbose announcement, but it's semi-player controlled factions for structured PvP competition.

(By semi-player controlled I mean the devs have ultimate control over what the factions do but the players can influence the direction they go in. Natural extension of the current community goals.)

Market this as "EVE for consoles". Sells itself.

Holy shit, Power play is HUGE! The newsletter describing it is here: http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e&id=b0a8ebba0b

Here are some highlights:

--- Players can align themselves with one of several Powers (initially ~20), who are vying for control of colonized space; they will gain ranks, benefits and missions specific to those Powers. The more space cotrolled by that power, the more space their benefits work in.

--- Powers may be aligned with the major factions, and if you chose one that is, you can get reputation boosts that help with qualifying for faction-specific ships

--- Powers may be created or destroyed by player actions, but will be run by Frontier, with full biography, figure-head, political leanings, and modus operandi, so some Powers will be warlike, and others will expand via economic aggression.

--- Actions will be decided on a week by week basis, with players voting on what to do; high up players could have a lot of influence over what the Power will do; this will result in special missions, and if the actions conflict with another Power, there will be counter-missions for players in that Power. If two Powers are at war, players can attack anyone aligned with an opposing Power without bounty

--- There will be a new tab on the Galactic map that will summarise the dominions of each power and also give details on those powers:

942d046d0793c24b7de5ce7e294156e4.jpg

--- "You can always be a trader or a miner or a pirate for your own ends, but by joining a Power you'll be afforded special rights and be rewarded for playing the way you already like to play."

10d7127d6509fbbb5baebe152c54f0e0.jpg

Other additions in this patch include:

--- Overhauled missions

--- Inship Galnet feed

--- Drones

--- Two new ships (Diamondback and Courier)

---- Higher insurance limits for more highly ranked powers, allowing people to take more risks with their ginormo-ships

EDIT: Damn you, Doc :P! I'm as predictable as the announcement in PC Gamer! I went on the site this morning expecting an early announcement from them, given that 1.1 and 1.2 were announced that way, but I didn't expect them to quote the early newsletter

By the way DB is doing an AMA on the Frontier forums tomorrow (24th April) at 16:00 BST (11:00 EDT)

I feel the need to share my tale of woe with others.

Last night I took the plunge on a Python, I knew I didn't have enough to fully kit it out but I was ok with that. So I bought it, fitted some ok gear and went back to the fight in BV Phoenics. That was going ok until an Anaconda breached my canopy, unfortunately the life support was not something I'd upgrade yet so I only had 5 minutes, Well the station wasn't that far away so I didn't sweat it, I jumped out and headed the station without paying too much attention to the time left until I drop out at the station and see it's 1 minute left, I think "ok I'm cutting fine" but still don't worry and carry on as normal until I'm just about at the entrance and I see it only have 0:09 seconds left, that was the "oh shit" moment and I ram the accelerator on full but run out of oxygen as I'm entering the station and the ship explodes (such a bizarre system), I think if I'd have one more second I'd have made it...

So you're thinking "well that sucks but not a huge deal", normally yeah but I didn't know there was a limit on the loans for insurance so I only had a few hundred thousand, not the 3 million I needed for buyback. So effectively that's it, my months of progress are gone and I don't see how I can keep playing the game now, there's no way I'm starting over with a sidewinder.

I feel the need to share my tale of woe with others.

Last night I took the plunge on a Python, I knew I didn't have enough to fully kit it out but I was ok with that. So I bought it, fitted some ok gear and went back to the fight in BV Phoenics. That was going ok until an Anaconda breached my canopy, unfortunately the life support was not something I'd upgrade yet so I only had 5 minutes, Well the station wasn't that far away so I didn't sweat it, I jumped out and headed the station without paying too much attention to the time left until I drop out at the station and see it's 1 minute left, I think "ok I'm cutting fine" but still don't worry and carry on as normal until I'm just about at the entrance and I see it only have 0:09 seconds left, that was the "oh shit" moment and I ram the accelerator on full but run out of oxygen as I'm entering the station and the ship explodes (such a bizarre system), I think if I'd have one more second I'd have made it...

So you're thinking "well that sucks but not a huge deal", normally yeah but I didn't know there was a limit on the loans for insurance so I only had a few hundred thousand, not the 3 million I needed for buyback. So effectively that's it, my months of progress are gone and I don't see how I can keep playing the game now, there's no way I'm starting over with a sidewinder.

Ouch! What may make it worse is that the loan limit will scale with ranking in 1.3, so it's likely that you would have been able to get a loan to cover the co-pay! It's crazy that you have the opportunity to completely ruin your character at the moment. There's an option to declare bankruptcy, and I think you get to keep your ranks and reputation even if you do end up back in the sidey; maybe after some time power play or other additional features will get you back in.

I know of one person that went from anaconda to sidewinder and back since launch, but he was an early kickstarter fanatic like me :P!

Well I've left it on the buy back screen so maybe I'll load it up again when 1.3 comes out and see if the loan increase takes. If not then maybe I'll come back after the wound has healed.

AMA - David Braben going on in the Elite forums currently. Interestingly, he's mentioned that he put something potentially related to our old octagonal ship friends in the wings update for explorers to find.

Also: Are there any plans for 1.3 to have any new/improved/balanced weapon modules? Many of us are curious at to the future of weaponry in Elite: Dangerous?

DB: For some of the Powers we are looking at Power-specific modules and weapons. More info to come. <<< Announcement. ;-)

Ooh, the PC x Mac cross play beta has been released :). Betas are always fun because of 100 cr ships, but I'll actually play in open to have the best chance of seeing our beta macs

Hmm, I logged in and somehow my 50 tonnes of cargo for the very first community goal netted me top 3 contribution for 750k credits. I doubt that's right, but I'm not complaining.

Remind me, how do i see what community goals and system control changes are in process in game? Or do I have to check the forums for that?

Credit: PCGamer

Space is a big ol' place, and so it's pretty easy to hide things inside of it. Frontier, it seems, has used that to their advantage. They've hidden a selection of strange, alien-like artefacts in Elite: Dangerous, and the community is just now getting around to analysing them.

Spurred on by the tease of non-celestial entities to discover, the community banded together in order to hunt down the mysterious artefacts. They even received some prompting from Elite: Dangerous's producer Michael Brookes, who suggested players "listened" to the cargo item.

http://www.pcgamer.com/elite-dangerous-community-analyses-mysterious-unknown-artefact/

The article link has a soundcloud file which plays the SFX from the alien artifact. Shades of Encounters of the Third Kind.

Also, if you are looking for these objects, be sure to be carrying 1ton of Hafnium in your hold or it'll start snacking on your ship.

So when are we going to form a Thumbs wing and go hunting in a resource extraction site?

Finally flying a Cobra with a little over 3 million in the bank. Looking longingly at that Asp.

So when are we going to form a Thumbs wing and go hunting in a resource extraction site?

Finally flying a Cobra with a little over 3 million in the bank. Looking longingly at that Asp.

I can't make a Thumbs group., since the groups are named after the commander, and I already have a private group. However, I would be happy to join someone else's :)

And yes, the Asp is fantastic, very versatile :)! I jumped in almost as soon as I could afford it and built it up over a few weeks; however, that was before Wings and I'm not sure I could recommend doing that now.

I have made a poor financial decision and have an X52 pro on the way. I will hopefully be on more.