toblix

Elite: Dangerous (Kickstarter)

Yeah Sag A* was a bit disappointing... maybe they'll add a disk later.  I know they are hoping to add accreting black hole binaries, but this was always going to be after initial launch

I was hot dogging it into a starbase last night and ran into the gate on the outside of the bay. It didn't feel like I hit it going that hard, but it was hard enough apparently and I went from being 1 mining load away from getting the advanced discovery scanner to three loads (The one I was carrying when I died, plus ship replacement costs.) I know it was all my fault and all, but I just don't know why I play. I'm gonna finally grind up to that scanner and then what? Grind some more I guess?

I was hot dogging it into a starbase last night and ran into the gate on the outside of the bay. It didn't feel like I hit it going that hard, but it was hard enough apparently and I went from being 1 mining load away from getting the advanced discovery scanner to three loads (The one I was carrying when I died, plus ship replacement costs.) I know it was all my fault and all, but I just don't know why I play. I'm gonna finally grind up to that scanner and then what? Grind some more I guess?

Unlucky! If you don't see the point in playing it might be worth taking a break... ED will be there when you get back, and will likely have fun new stuff in it :)

I finally got an advanced scanner and detailed surface scanner for my asp (never thought of it as grinding... if it seemed boring I did something else in game or entirely different). I am going to do a quick tour of systems with backer's planets and stations that I know of, then am heading out into the black :). Yesterday I saw a video (turns out to be the last in a series) from a guy who had made it to the rim of the galaxy, via the centre, and now I want to do something similar. Crazy I know, since it took him 5 weeks, but  I don't need to do it all in a rush.

I wish that discovery stuff made enough cash to actually be able to earn the advanced discovery scanner that way. Mining can be fun at times, but man I've done it a lot a this point.

I wish that discovery stuff made enough cash to actually be able to earn the advanced discovery scanner that way. Mining can be fun at times, but man I've done it a lot a this point.

Discovery is like mining in that you need to prioritise: black holes and blue stars  are worth more than red or yellow stars; similarly Earth-like worlds and metal rich planets are worth more than icy planets. People reckon that the data from the guy who went to the edge is probably worth about 40 million... 5 times as much as I've earned in the last 5 weeks :).

You can look at the system map after doing the discovery scan to see if there's anything worth scanning in detail... the representations of the planets and stars give you an idea what type they are. Then balance out cash with distance (400,000 ls travel is funny once but not recommended as part of your routine)

Except if you don't have the advanced scanner half the systems you visit look empty, so you end up chasing moving dots on the horizon and not knowing if they're worth it until you arrive.

I've managed to get up to 180k an hour mining and somewhere around 40k an hour exploring.

Very true, and of course you can only explore a system once. Having said that, I just made 70 k for a single system with an earth-like world and a high metalicity one (plus other stuff I didn't bother to scan). I'm on my way down to the "bottom" of the galaxy and haven't really left civilization yet but still made 100 k in about 40 minutes. It's more about seeing what's out there than the cash for me though.

Yeah, I felt like that at first, but I really never found anything interesting. My best system at this point has been about 50k, and that was kind of cool, but I've found mostly 10k systems.

Yeah, I felt like that at first, but I really never found anything interesting. My best system at this point has been about 50k, and that was kind of cool, but I've found mostly 10k systems.

I am a professional astrophysicist so my idea of interesting is very different to yours :P! Yes I got into space stuff because of the first game, and now I hunt black holes for NASA

Very cool, Dr. Wookie. Once I realized that manned interstellar travel was probably not going to happen for me, I went the other direction (small instead of big) and became a microbiologist. Now I make nanotherapeutics for cancer treatment.

I am a professional astrophysicist so my idea of interesting is very different to yours :P! Yes I got into space stuff because of the first game, and now I hunt black holes for NASA

Yeah, my idea of what makes cool is mostly shaped by Star Trek. To be fair though, I haven't even found a black hole or anything. Most interesting things I've seen are generally double binary systems and such, but those are also the worst to try and explore *shrug*

Finally bought my adder and fitted it for more mining, 6T cargo was killing me. Upgraded to a 3 bin refinery and 18T cargo hold. That should also help with running cargo for profit as well, I am pumped.

ED 1.1 BETA RELEASED TODAY

Alpha and beta backers for ED can test a beta version of ED 1.1 from 18:30 GMT this evening (around half an hour from now). There is the usual vast amount of additions, tweaks and fixes (here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=108887&p=1692747#post1692747)

Here are the highlights:

--- Community goals added (help ease famine, construct a new spacestation, etc)

--- Route planning extended to 1000 ly from 100 ly (YAAASSSSSSSS)

--- "Discovered by" tag added to system map, showing first person to scan a body and sell data

--- Fancy new gas giant shader

--- City lights on night side of inhabited planets

--- Pilot's Federation rank decals

--- Russian language translation added (and French and German translations are improved)

ED 1.1 should be available to everyone next week :)

All of those highlights will be much welcome additions to the game.

Still running rare good trade missions when I have time to play. Class A/B Jump Drives and Fuel Scoops make a huge difference in speeding them up. Highly recommended.

Going from a Class E Fuel Scoop to a Class A Scoop improves my scooping rate ~8x.

Oooh, that "Discovered by" tag is going to get me back in. I need to spend some time grinding for the best scanner I guess.

Here are some screenies from the beta, gimpified by Facebook, grr!

Showing off the new Founders' decal

10514603_10153675078129152_8132502059305

And again (with even more bling)... it's easy to get money in the beta, so I just topped myself up to where I am in the persistent universe (more or less)

10390100_10153675078154152_5514422647434

Being able to sort the outfitting menus by module type, price, power, class etc. is VERY welcome! (the Type 9 is 100 cr to aid testing)

10959531_10153675078269152_4337880862759

Here are some city lights on the night side (hopefully not to facebookified)

988472_10153675078239152_194577671058283

And here's me plotting a nice long route... it doesn't try to do EVERY possible destination anymore, so is quite a bit faster even though the max volume is 1000 times larger

10385489_10153675078264152_5837890876872

So, apparently one of the Devs dumped all the discovery data they have stored up to this point?

http://dump.bass-speaker.com/discovery.php

That's cool, I have 204 objects that'll have my name on them when 1.1 comes live for all.

If you click the "here" at the top of the page, you can see the list by Commander. I'm apparently the 3856th most exploringest Commander out of 15292. Top quarter isn't too bad.

I'm just really disappointed in the support for this game right now. There's an absolutely huge, full-hard-lock-computer-crashing bug that affects a lot of people, and Frontier's complete lack of communication is just aggrivating. It's bad enough that I'm seriously considering asking for a refund, because I'm just not getting any support whatsoever and I've done everything under the sun to fix a problem that is only in their game.

Thinking about picking this up over the weekend. I'm curious about how much hard drive space it needs though. Would it benefit from being on my SSD of it can fit?

I'm just really disappointed in the support for this game right now. There's an absolutely huge, full-hard-lock-computer-crashing bug that affects a lot of people, and Frontier's complete lack of communication is just aggrivating. It's bad enough that I'm seriously considering asking for a refund, because I'm just not getting any support whatsoever and I've done everything under the sun to fix a problem that is only in their game.

Yeah, their support staff seems pretty much non-existent. I know that people have had various types of help tickets in for more than a month without any response.

On another note, I sold all my scanner equipment (to lower my re-buy in case I crash into the side of a station again,) bought some more cargo bays, and made a mining run yesterday that got me about half way to the advanced scanner. I think I'll be able to get it just before 1.1 goes live.

Weekly Elite Newsletter. Nice job pulling the nostalgia strings.

You Don't Know Jaques

Jaques is a barman, a property owner and a cyborg. Back in the year 3200, Jaques had been running the same bar in the same starport for an inhumanly long period of time. His tale was recounted in the “Stories of Life on the Frontier” booklet included with 1993’s Frontier: Elite II, wherein we learn Jaques owns half the starport and plans on taking it on a voyage across the galaxy just as soon as he buys the rest.

"I guess it will take me about another fifty years to buy up the rest of this place and another ten to fit it out with enough drive engines. I think I'll do what Augustus Brenquith did and fly off into the unknown and explore new systems. But I like people as well, so in sixty or so years time there will be an invitation going out: anyone who wants to come along can join me on a long trip.”

22 years after David Massey wrote the short story “All That Glisters...” in Stories of Life on the Frontier, Jaques is doing just that. It took a little longer than expected (the old Coriolis Station wasn’t robust enough to take the drives he wanted…) but he got there in the end. You’re welcome to join him for the ride next week.

08ae848b-0f74-4e71-bc71-047eff4a0f4a.jpg
Jaques Station is a custom mobile Orbis starport you’ll find in Elite: Dangerous 1.1. Modified to support drives, Jaques Station will jump to a new system from time to time as Jaques sets off on his course away from human space. His roaming starport will make a useful base for explorers, but if you're docked when he jumps you'll be taken with him.

Jaques Station will also sell a special and rare trade good, so check the markets if you can catch him. GalNet will be updated with news of the starport’s route next week, and will continue to keep track of his movements as Jaques journeys across the galaxy.

re: support - this is obviously one area where the company is shirking, likely (guessing) depending on the die-hards to stay with them while they continue working on the planned/promised expansions. I'd say that if you're interested in the game, be prepared for the occassional bug or glitch that you'll just have to chalk up to bad luck. The other weakness is the one that Elite always had - if you're done with the thrill of exploring, combat, or amassing credits through trade, there isn't much else and feel free to move on to another game until they add in enough new content to make you want to come back (if you ever do).

Sorry to hear that! You have every right to ask for a refund, but it might be worth holding off for a month or so because your issue might be fixed in version 1.1 (public next week) or 1.2 (out in March)

So, apparently one of the Devs dumped all the discovery data they have stored up to this point?

http://dump.bass-speaker.com/discovery.php

That's cool, I have 204 objects that'll have my name on them when 1.1 comes live for all.

If you click the "here" at the top of the page, you can see the list by Commander. I'm apparently the 3856th most exploringest Commander out of 15292. Top quarter isn't too bad.

Cool! I'm #1753 on that list, with  742 discoveries :D. I did a round trip to the bottom of the disc yesterday (too snowy for work), and bagged almost a million credits from exploration, including 120,000 from one system with an Earthlike world. I've just made it to Pathfinder rank in exploration, and finally upgraded to 5A Frame Shift Drive (32 ly per jump, 25 ly with 104 tons of cargo!!!!!).

Interestingly, number 6 in that list (Tequila) posted a screen saying that they had made Elite explorer, with 99,999,923 cr from exploring (or something like that). I guesss the other 5 are Elite too.

DocRandal beat me to the news about the roaming station, which is great news for us old timers who remember the original short story. In other news from Newsletter 61, here is a concept for the biggest playable ship on the Federal side, the Corvette

corvette_newsletter.jpg

PAX EAST AMBASSADORS WANTED

Elite Dangerous is coming to Boston at PAX East in March 5-8. Any US based players (preferably East Coast), who are familiar with the game, are over 21, and are available on those dates are welcome to apply. This is the same as the thing I did for E3, and was exhausting but well worth it :D. I'll be applying again.  If you're interested, email [email protected] with subject line PAX East Ambassadors with 3 brief reasons why you should be chosen. Flights, accomodation and expenses paid, and you'll get awesome swag if past experience is anything to go by :).

MAC VERSION BETA TEST END OF MARCH

One of the major stretch goals for the Kickstarter was a Mac version ~3 months after the PC release. The beta is expected to start at the end of March, and last ~6 weeks. Anyone who bought on PC can also play on Mac for free, with the same commander apparently