toblix

Elite: Dangerous (Kickstarter)

Hopefully the fully release will come with a manual!

HERE IS AN UNOFFICIAL PLAYER'S GUIDE, COMPLETE UP TO BETA 2

http://www.mediafire.com/view/5jxh750heuhzedw/Elite+Dangerous.Pilots+Guide.Manual.Tutorial.pdf

If you do start over, you will (probably) start in an orbital station, with your eagle waiting at a bigger star port in the same system. If you go to the system map, then there will be a little blue icon next to the station with your ship.

If you don't want to start over, you can see the same blue icon on the galactic map next to the system with your ship :).

By the way Elite Dangerous won best VR Simulator and was a finalist in the Virtual Reality Awards 2014:

http://www.virtualrealityreviewer.com/virtual-realty-awards-2014-full-video-winners/

All I've done is waste gas and accept one mission that turns out was a donation mission that I couldn't afford to fill, so I plan on starting over regardless.

I did better with that "Sell the other ship" tip. I ran 4 missions, taking along extra cargo to see after each trip, and also go interdicted a couple of times and got some practice at the combat. Overall, I think I made about 10k in an hour or so.

There's just been a new post up on the forums from Frontier saying that there will be no wipe at launch! I will make my own wipe and start at Lave :D!

HOLY COW! NEW GAMMA VERSION (2.0)

Total surprise this, a new version has been added with headline features including two new ships (Adder and Type 7), route planning, and the addition of a "secret"

LAUNCH TRAILER

FD have released the launch trailer for the game... more bombastic nonsense than a reliable indicator of game play, but it looks cool :P!

I played for about 3 hours last night and saved up enough money to get an Adder. Unfortunately, it was already past my bedtime so I didn't get to fly it yet. I plan on hooking a mining laser and heading to the great yonder.

I haven't been following this game too much, but for those of you who have (or are already playing it) how possible will it be to play this infrequently/casually? I tend to only have a few hours here and there to play games, so I worry that picking this up will just result in misery given the PVP-oriented nature of the thing (everyone plays more, everyone has better ships, everyone just kills me a bunch while I'm trying to just fly around space and enjoy that experience). I should probably read some of the longer write ups of the game on RPS and other similar places, but I thought I'd ask before spending too much time looking around.

You can play in Solo mode (which I have been after narrowly missing slamming into a fellow player at 250 kph - my fault) so you won't ever have to worry about getting wrecked by other players. That said, it has taken some time for me to make money in the game so it might be difficult to get to the meat of the game on a limited schedule.

I haven't been following this game too much, but for those of you who have (or are already playing it) how possible will it be to play this infrequently/casually? I tend to only have a few hours here and there to play games, so I worry that picking this up will just result in misery given the PVP-oriented nature of the thing (everyone plays more, everyone has better ships, everyone just kills me a bunch while I'm trying to just fly around space and enjoy that experience). I should probably read some of the longer write ups of the game on RPS and other similar places, but I thought I'd ask before spending too much time looking around.

It's a game that is in for the long haul, but it is not necessarily massively competitive... there is no endgame, and other people's achievements won't really affect you (unless you fight in open play and get massively outmatched). However, you can always play in private groups or solo; there is a fairly large and ever expanding group for PvE called Mobius that anyone can join if that's your thing. Once you get used to it, you could play for 15-30 minutes, or several hours. Missions have real time deadlines though, so if you log on a week later, you will probably have failed.

Should we form a group, or do a friends thing? I can definitely use some guidance and friends.

I have been playing in open play. Aside from having to wait to dock at smaller facilities and the laughably harrowing entries and exits from the stations I haven't felt impacted by the fact that I've only been able to play for 3ish hours. I'm making some money and I found out where my Eagle is though!

ELITE DANGEROUS 1.0.0.0 NOW RELEASED!

The game is now fully released to the public :D! And it's looking smoother and better than ever so far!

@BadFinger and anyone else, feel free to add me... I am CORVUS MUNINN :). At the moment I am visiting the UK with my laptop and using my mum's wifi, and so am keeping to SOLO mode, which has the lowest bandwidth requirements. I'll be back in the US at the end of december though.

Also, I am helping a bunch of players test the background simulation by helping an independent faction in the Lugh system rise to power, hopefully sparking a war to separate from the Federation.

So, I grabbed this the other day and finally downloaded it and have been playing it off and on throughout the day. Probably about 4ish hours so far.

I've-

• Learned that combat is insanely difficult
  • Learned some pirates are actually "Clean"
  • Space Trucker ain't such a bad profession
  • The first time you manage to dock is more exciting than it should be
  • Stopping at the right time is hard
  • Space is quiet, have some music going

There's a lot for me to learn

Hmm, I haven't found combat that difficult so far, though I do have some experience with Elite 3, so that might be why. What problem are you running into exactly?

Hmm, I haven't found combat that difficult so far, though I do have some experience with Elite 3, so that might be why. What problem are you running into exactly?

Well, two primary issues:

• Mouse controls for this game are atrocious when in combat. Like, really really bad.
  • My default lasers take 20+ direct, close range hits to destroy someone

In the process, anything where I'm fighting more than one enemy is a 20+ minute long affair. And it's stressful the whole way.

I'm currently downloading. Hoping to play with some Thumbs. Happy that I've avoided almost all media for this game.

Dr. Wookie, will I be ok with just M+KB and/or a 360 controller? What is everyone else using?

I'm using M+KB but I'm seriously contemplating trying controller out just to see if it helps significantly. For many things mouse is fine, but in combat there's too much confusion to make it really work.

I've been using a 360 controller this whole time, and it works well... I definitely recommend giving it a try. You can bind the buttons how you like.

The basic ship is a bit rubbish for fighting, and there is absolutely no leveling or scaling, so you might want to run away from fights to start with (a tradition with Elite games). If you do want to fight, you get the most maneuvarability when the speed is in the blue zone and the engine has 4 pips. An official players guide should be coming this week. 

By the way "clean" pirates don't have bounties in the current system, but a kill warrant scanner will reveal bounties elsewhere

Woah, controller has made a HUGE difference. I'm really loving it, this is nice. About the only issue arises when docking, because there's no lateral movement. But that isn't a dealbreaker. I also finally got my Eagle(4 jumps and a 10 minute supercruise away), and when I grabbed it I changed my hud colors:

ulv9TRM.jpg

ZLUdcCG.jpg

bSwpscx.jpg

l5tMOqZ.jpg

Along the way I also ended up finding this neat web app to help you preview what the ingame color scheme will look like. It's invaluable.

I didn't even know you could change the HUD color, that's nice.

I also didn't even think about M+KB controls, I have a $40 joystick that I had laying around from playing X3, so I've been using that. I can definitely understand how combat would be difficult with a mouse.

I've been reading through the Gamma player's guide and there's some good stuff in there. I hope I'll be able to find a system worth exploring in my Adder this weekend since that will be the next time I'll be able to sit down and put a lot of time in.

I'm trying to change the color whenever I get a new ship. Make it like different models have different dashboards!

Are most people playing this multiplayer? I had mostly been playing solo, but entered 'Open Play' and honestly didn't notice any difference. I think I saw a few players around, but no one spoke or attacked or anything.

Multiplayer changes some things, but mostly it just makes space feel less lonely because you see other CMDRs running around. Sometimes you can shoot them, but it isn't common.

So, I decided to get involved in the big civil war.

n1nbF4h.jpg

There's more ships there than even that radar implies. Those bright lines out there? Laser and tracer fire. It's a bloody, ugly war, started by players. To get a civil war started, you take a region that is close to equal in terms of influence, then you sell as many weapons as you can to them, and add in killing people for whatever side you believe in.

Pretty soon, you've got 2-6 conflict zones happening all over the system, and real value in focusing your efforts in a local area.

I also got to find out how hard it is to fly without your cockpit's front glass- ie, without the front core of your HUD:

nL2wb7e.jpg

Stopping is hard enough when you can see what you're aiming for. Trusting nothing but your compass, relative speed and distance meters and praying you nail the timing on hopping out of your jump is even harder.