toblix

Elite: Dangerous (Kickstarter)

Guess who's coming to dinner? It's Elite: Dangerous! I don't know how this will be different from Star Citizen, but I guess some of you can probably detail the finer differences. They're both space trade-or-shoot-em-ups, right?

Yes, this is the worst. It's great that he wants to make a sequel to Elite and I'm sure a lot of people will like that, but how about you put just a bit of effort into the pitch asking people for 2 million dollars..?

I backed it without reading or watching anything, and am counting on everyone else to evaluate its actual kickworthiness. After not backing FTL, I'm not going to let the chance to have my name in a game pass me by ever again. Judging by the two responses in this thread, this sounds like it probably won't go through.

I think it'll still go through, because it's Elite, but it feels like a lazy effort from the start. They'll probably use their Kinectimals tech.

No assets, no video, some blather about how the original Elite did so much shit with so little (it did, but fuck you guy) that doesn't matter to this. Yeah, no.

But you can have «toblix» as your fucking ship's computer, or whatever.

You would be an awful computer. You'd just make photoshops all day.

Anyway, Kickstarter doesn't allow you to show things that aren't finished, right?

But that doesn't even make sense.

Industrial design stuff isn't allowed to show renders of stuff that isn't finished. The rules state that if you want to show anything off it should be the actualy prototype.

This is killing me. I'm a huge fan of FFE. No game has had that feeling for me when flying around. But it just doesn't seem like he gives a damn about this project. Clearly they didn't even study the Kickstarter landscape at all, because if they had they would have known about how and why Old-School RPG failed.

This game needs more love now the very decent looking combat test alpha is out :)

Lot of great gameplay videos on youtube showing some pretty interesting mechanics, such as shutting down your ships systems to run cold and silent to avoid detection, which causes your ships cockpit glass to slowly ice over. TrackIR support looks very good too, with Oculus support coming.

Certainly good to see Braben release something so polished, especially with Star Citizens dogfighting delayed.

I'm guessing the original Elite wasn't a huge phenomenon in the US due to it originating on the BBC Micro, it seems it's not getting half as much attention as in the UK. 

I played the broken sequel First Encounters a bunch when I was young. That's why I backed this.

Oops, I didn't see this had been updated recently before starting my own thread sorry! Last I checked, the most recent post was 2012.

I am an alpha backer (with access to the design discussion forum), and am really enjoying what I have played so far: various single player combat scenarios. Multiplayer alpha should start this week... I am dry excited, even if a bit crap!

HI guys,

I thought I would use the release of Premium Beta to consolidate my previous threads into one discussion thread. I didn't realise forum policy earlier, so I apologize for that.

My enthusiastic frothings on Alpha 4 are here:

https://www.idlethumbs.net/forums/topic/9396-anyone-remotely-space-geeky-should-check-out-this-elite-dangerous-alpha-video-d/

My previous attempt to bring the game to the attention of a US audience that was largely oblivious is here:

https://www.idlethumbs.net/forums/topic/9144-what-do-you-get-if-you-cross-star-citizen-with-no-mans-sky/

Anyhow, when Elite Dangerous was KickStarted at the end of 2012, it included 3 levels of early access as pledge rewards: alpha, premium beta, and standard beta. Now that ED has gone into its premium beta phase, it is functionally very similar to the last alpha, but geared up to cope with more players: over 10,000 new backers have access to the full multiplayer experience as of today.

You can gain instant access for 100 GBP, or $150; this is 3 times the price of the pre-order so I would advise people to wait unless they are happy that their money is going to support the game rather than buying a product.

The latest newsletter is here if anyone is interested:

http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e&id=ae4c732e15&e=9a500ef1b4

It includes a really cool video by an alpha backer who managed to integrate voice attack really well. It also has an amazing time-lapse image of a capital ship under attack; I think the guy made a video and combined all the frames.

I am REALLY excited to be going to E3 in a week and a half or so... Frontier held a competition for all US based backers, and I won! I am particularly excited because one of the forum members has made an amazing metal ship model, and will be bringing it to the show. It is still being built, and here is one of the latest photos

DSC_0011_zpsc1e73c15.jpg

The thread can be found here:

http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15320&page=32

Enjoy!

Awesome consolidational effort! ;)

Also, good luck at E3! I'm getting more and more intrigued to see what becomes of Elite, so thanks for keeping us updated. :D

I backed this thing at the "get a copy of the final game" tier with no alpha or beta access and everything I've seen since has been encouraging. I've particularly enjoyed the dev diary videos. A 5-10 minute video every two or three months is basically perfect for me to keep track of how development is coming along. I appreciate when developers offer more detailed stuff to backers, like the Massive Chalice teamstreams and Star Citizen's weekly show (the reality show is a bit much for my tastes), but I just don't have time to watch much of it. It seems like that sort of community engagement is also available from the Elite: Dangerous team, but I'm glad they also have been consistent about catering to folks with my level of commitment and interest with more bite-size updates. I hope that's something that other developers incorporate into their crowd-funding campaigns going forward.

Hi guys, here is a mini version of the E3 banner... the full size one is obnoxiously large... they sure like their orange and blue!

58237b80-61bb-4310-acd8-ed3c210e4fd6.jpg

David Braben, co-creator of Elite, did an AMA yesterday in the Frontier forums; the thread showing just his answers is here:

http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=20371

A really exciting highlight for me was this, since I ordered DK2 on the strength of what I saw from a borrowed DK1:

"E: D on Oculus DK2 is great. The resolution is a big step to help with the immersion, as is the extra frame rate. The head-tracking also gives that little extra - you can lean forwards and down to see around the hull of your Lakon Type 9 for example, or lean beyond your chair to look back into the giant bridge deck."

There's another Newsletter out, kinda short since they're gearing up for E3 (I'm off to LA on Sunday, yaay!):

http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e&id=4a0814bda4&e=9a500ef1b4

Here's a big fighty video with a somewhat... enthusiastic soundrack and crazy jump cuts. It's pretty timely since the Star Citizen Dog Fight Module dropped this week; a lot of us were hoping for something like a pretty version of this with great damage modelling and Hollywood pazzazz.

Well we got the pazzazz and damage modeling at least...