Sno

Lost progress

Most recent was Dishonored for me. Made it all the way to the end of the pen-ultimate mission, getting ready to head of to the lighthouse. As soon as the lighthouse level loads, it tries to autosave and returns a "There was an issue saving the game." error message. Canceling out of that starts the "on rails" part of the mission and the game freezes a few seconds later.

Cue middle of this week, when they release patch 1.2 for the game. "Great", I think to myself, patch it and fire it back up. Now the game crashes as soon as the main menu comes up.

Because of this, it went form GOTY to "rot in hell with D3 and ME3!"

I ened up losing a bunch of torchlight characters in a steam sync issue. They should really offer a limited versioning system even if just for an extremely short window. It seems to be really common to accidentally lose your data in cloud syncs. I don't know why they don't just store the old data for 2-3 hours so you could immediately roll it back in case you totally screwed yourself.

Steam cloud is a fucking amazing idea but the implementation still seems to be kinda half baked.

I also really wish Steam worked a little more like netflix and I could authorize steam on a per device basis so I could have 2-3 devices active and logged in to the service at a time. As they expand their reach into the living room this is going to become more important. Earlier today 2 of my friends where playing Shank on my PC and I was kinda kicking it and wanted to boot FTL on my laptop but couldn't since they where logged into steam on my desktop. If they're going to try and make steam a living room center piece I don't want my login to be absolutely tied to this one device at a time.....

One time my younger brother saved over my Perfect Dark profile that had like 80% of the (unfair) challenges completed and all the multiplayer stuff unlocked.

As an adult I don't really care as much about my save data anymore. If a game is amazing I'll gladly play it again and if a game was a chore to play up to that point, well good riddance time to move on.

I almost lost some progress due to another Steam cloud sync, but this time I could see the time stamp and it did say which was the newer one, either I was stupid last time, or they updated it?

Ugh, a reply above reminded me of the time I'd played through Banjo-Kazooie for a second time so I could unlock everything. Now, anyone who's played Banjo-Kazooie should know that there's a fucking lot of shit to collect. After spending literally an entire millennium getting to about 98% of everything unlocked, I was confident that I could put the whole following evening aside to thoroughly enjoy collecting the last items and hopefully receive some kind of reward for my viciously time-consuming mission. I'd gotten unreasonably obsessed with completing every last portion of this game (anyone who mentions Stop 'n' Swop will be shot) and couldn't get totally finishing one of the best games I'd ever played out of my head.

Then I got home and found that my sister had deleted my save game while trying to access her own.