Chris

Idle Thumbs 81: Happy Halloween

I know how you feel Johnny 5, i quite recently swapped my work mouse over for a newer/sexier mouse and the scroll wheel button is the most awkward button i have ever had the miss fortune to click

This fucker!!

mk_com3000_large.jpg

Was it this episode or previous where Remo talked about the bleak future megacities? I'm surprised he didn't mention Steve Gaynor's tumblr which I find very reminiscent of just that: http://rekall.tumblr.com/

Some awesome imagery in there, I love it.

i just created a tumblr account so i can follow that blog, good stuff

it was this episode they were talking about future megacities whilst chatting about that mech game....i wanna call it Hawken...

Now i have visions of professor Stephen Hawking with laser beams strapped to his chair jet packing around a dystopian megacity raining death

Just checked, it is called Hawken :lol:

I genuinely love how whenever there's a compilation of "futuristic megacity" imagery, a lot of it is just pictures of Tokyo or Hong Kong from as far back as 20 years ago.

Something about those places just screams "the future", even from the past.

Haha. I didn't mean it at all in an insulting way. I love BoI. Although, for completely different reasons. Obviously. U:

Didn't take it in an insulting way, was just having some fun!! <3

Edit: And I went back and played some more HMiami and had fun by not tryharding so much. Much like with BOI, I watched some guys stream the game, learned a few tricks, and did a bit better this time. I'm basically never using mouse3 other than in shift-look situations, where I don't have to hit it under pressure.

I completed Hotline Miami today, then came into this thread after listening to the cast.

I... I never knew you could lock on with mouse3.

D'oh.

Man I am digging the fuck out of Hotline Miami. Unlike most of the people here, I'm not really sickened or made uncomfortable by the content... or perhaps it would be more accurate to say I feel sickened and made uncomfortable in exactly the way I wanted from the game. I came to it wanting a horror game, basically, and I have not been disappointed. People are talking a lot about different movies I haven't seen in terms of tonal comparisons, but for me the experience, the emotional game experience I get, is basically a direct cross between Super Meat Boy and Silent Hill-- maybe while listening to a Mr Bungle album or something in the background.

And, I ask of you, could there be any higher recommendation?

BTW, I can't remember exactly how you guys put it on the cast but I think you might have mentioned something about the game owing a lot of its look to the works of Messhof et al. I just wanted to point out that one of the creators of Hotline Miami, Jonaton 'Cactus' Soderstrom, has been exceptionally active and influential in the freeware game community for a long time. While it's probably fair to say that he's taken his share of inspiration from their work, I think it's more been a process of cross-pollination, and these kinds of high-res effects applied to simplistic graphics has been a hallmark of his visual style for some time. He actually gave a presentation at IGF a few years ago on the subject.

Didn't take it in an insulting way, was just having some fun!! <3

Edit: And I went back and played some more HMiami and had fun by not tryharding so much. Much like with BOI, I watched some guys stream the game, learned a few tricks, and did a bit better this time. I'm basically never using mouse3 other than in shift-look situations, where I don't have to hit it under pressure.

I completed Hotline Miami today, then came into this thread after listening to the cast.

I... I never knew you could lock on with mouse3.

D'oh.

To be honest, locking on isn't even really necessary. I only ever used it in situations where I was, yeah, shift-looking. (It helps, I think, that I only actually realized it existed about ten levels in.) It's much more useful during the slow approach. Trying to use it in the middle of an active, lightning-paced fight would just result in disaster, I think, no matter which key it was bound to. Although I'm sure some people can do it. I can't!

Biggest take away from Gaynor's tumblr is this strong urge to watch Ghost In The Shell again, too bad there's no good blu-ray release without all the ugly cg that was added later.

I was disappointed that there wasn't a sequel to the Old Man Clancy's Hawww bit in the Hawwwken discussion. Hoo-boy!

I was disappointed that there wasn't a sequel to the Old Man Clancy's Hawww bit in the Hawwwken discussion. Hoo-boy!

Pfft, Idle Thumbs has grown up and is more serious about video games. Anyway, back to Bobby Kotick parachuting from airplanes.

too bad there's no good blu-ray release without all the ugly cg that was added later.

Huh? Ghost in the Shell 2.0 - Ignore the main feature and just watch the digitially re-mastered original version found in the 'Extras' menu.

There's two versions of the film on that disc - The main feature, which is a digitally re-mastered and CGI-enhanced version, and the original version, which has no CGI in it but has a remastered for the blu-ray release.

E: I've just read this - "The included original version of Ghost in the Shell is not the HD master from Japan. It is a laserdisc master, upconverted to 1080i. Also, they've fixed the back cover in later prints to have the correct features on the back. I still recommend this if you're a fan." so maybe that's what TheYoungCato meant?

I can attest that the original version on Ghost in the Shell 2.0 is terrible. It's lazily upscaled and aggressively compressed, to the point that you're probably better off watching the Manga DVD release (horror of horrors) with any old Blu-ray player and letting it do the upconversion.

I saw the first Ghost in the Shell movie. I liked it but I was really tired when I was watching it, and the plot is a little... obtuse even at the best of times, I gather. At some point I want to watch the whole series because it seems pretty neat, so it's nice to know that maybe there's a good looking Blu-Ray awaiting the day when I finally own a Blu-Ray drive in some form.

I watched a 50-minute speedrun of the Ghost In The Shell: SAC game for PS2 on Saturday evening. So, that was a thing.

Oh yeah, on that brief New Vegas discussion: The game's director, J.E Sawyer, is a history major, and a lot of the references to ancient Rome, like the military ranks used by the Legion and, well, the pronunciation of Caesar, among other things, are actually fairly accurate.

I can attest that the original version on Ghost in the Shell 2.0 is terrible. It's lazily upscaled and aggressively compressed, to the point that you're probably better off watching the Manga DVD release (horror of horrors) with any old Blu-ray player and letting it do the upconversion.

Yeah, that's what I've heard. It's a darn shame.

the emotional game experience I get, is basically a direct cross between Super Meat Boy and Silent Hill-- maybe while listening to a Mr Bungle album or something in the background.

Haha, this is perfect.

God almighty, I started catching up on episodes again recently and I just heard this today. When I heard my stupid name and realised my Latin nonsense was going to be read out, I got up and walked away from my computer.

Edit: I'm not sure the guys appreciated that I was not serious when I called it "Nick Breckon's Skyrim". Little bit of snark there that's completely ridiculous since I was obviously not being serious.

Ahem.

God almighty, I started catching up on episodes again recently and I just heard this today. When I heard my stupid name and realised my Latin nonsense was going to be read out, I got up and walked away from my computer.

Edit: I'm not sure the guys appreciated that I was not serious when I called it "Nick Breckon's Skyrim". Little bit of snark there that's completely ridiculous since I was obviously not being serious.

Ahem.

I'd need to listen to that again to be sure, but that probably wasn't specifically related at you and that particular phrase. Maybe we're just assholes, though. ;(

I'd need to listen to that again to be sure, but that probably wasn't specifically related at you and that particular phrase. Maybe we're just assholes, though. ;(

It's cool, whatever. I'm a guy who apparently wrote into a video game podcast about Latin pronunciation, and I can only blame myself if that puts me in a certain place in the world.

It's cool, whatever. I'm a guy who apparently wrote into a video game podcast about Latin pronunciation, and I can only blame myself if that puts me in a certain place in the world.

You're that guy so we don't have to be that guy.