Sign in to follow this  
Pepyri

Natural Selection 2

The community seems very active and dedicated, i've seen a few dozen full servers every time i've gone looking for a game, and there's tons of communication happening. Lots of people on mics talking a lot of strategy and tactics. (Silence seems very discouraged by the community, especially when it comes to commanders.)

Everything is also split up into rookie and non-rookie servers, and on the rookie servers, people seem willing to be pretty patient with new players. (Though even in these rookie games, i've seen people get pretty frustrated with incompetent commanders, so if that part of the game interests you, go through the tutorials first.)

I've really been enjoying my time with the game, i think it's going to be one i stick with for a while.

Natural Selection 2 is unlikely to ever die. The original lasted for a decade and only dried up because a decade was the time between the release of the original and the release of the sequel.

You know, I have this fucking game because it was gifted to me and I've yet to play it. I should, I know I should. But I've got Lego Lord of the Ring's to play through on co-op. And I want to replay The Witcher 2 with the new combat mod because I never finished my first playthrough for whatever reason, and Shadow Run Returns comes out in a few weeks, and I've yet to buy The Last of Us, which I know I'm going to buy.

Someone convince me I should install and play this. I don't need much convincing but, you know, just like "it's awesome" would push me over the edge.

...it's pretty damn incredible, i've been having a great time with it.

I think that means it's awesome.

I think it's pretty awesome.

It's very systems-heavy and nuanced, and you need to be willing to coordinate and follow directions, and if that all sounds cool, then it's worth playing.

This game is tremendous - its complexity and depth are mostly unmatched in modern multiplayer shooters, which focus on dumbing themselves to the lowest common denominator so that they don't lose any customers. The depth scares people off, though, so I made

to ease new players in. I'm not sure how much they will inspire someone uninterested to pick up the game -
, or

I stopped playing this game for awhile. I got into Counter-Strike: Global Offensive on a competitive level and am loving that experience. It makes me wish Natural Selection 2 had a similar matchmaking/team making play with rankings and the like.

I know it's PC tradition to just jump into a game, dick around, then leave if you're bored, but having a true competitive match-up against similar skilled opponents, lots of teamwork/communication and non-abandoning team mates elevates the experience for me.

These two new posts make me excited though:

http://unknownworlds.com/ns2/state-of-development-june-2013/
http://unknownworlds.com/ns2/the-female-marine/

Just a heads-up that Natural Selection II will be -75% on Steam for the next 7 hours or so.

Like i said, it's certainly not deserted online.

It seems the game is having a free weekend on Steam, so if anybody's interested, there's still another day to go. It's also on sale right now for about six bucks.

I guess they're doing this too, which seems like a pretty cool way to fund further development of the game without splitting the userbase.

I will say though, i had a few games with friends a couple nights ago, and people seemed really unhappy with the newest balance updates. I still think it's worth checking out though.