Frenetic Pony

Disney buys Lucasfilm

Holy shit! This is huge.

The most successful independent filmmaker since Chaplin sells all to Disney. That's quite a sad ending to the story of LucasFilm, but then with no obvious heir, I suppose it was that or just close up shop.

I respect his business acumen, at least in the early days. After he made Fox all that money with Star Wars, he decided he was never going to let that happen again. He did all the work, all they did was provide the money. You need both, yes, but which is more valuable?

Lucas said it was the "art", and started giving the studios shitty deals (well, compared to what they were used to -- which just meant a fairer deal for the artist). They paid for everything, but he only gave them distribution rights. The rest stayed in Lucas's possession.

Good for him.

Sadly his Empire began to crumble. He sold off assets. Put money into digital technology, which pioneered change in the industry, but which didn't make him much money. He made a few independent movies (one of which is regarded as one of the biggest flops of all time), a moderately successful TV show.

And then he returned to Star Wars for the Special Editions, and started making stacks of cash again.

I think he felt the wrath of the fan boys quite acutely, and could never understand why their love had turned to hate.

Maybe this selling to Disney was a final FU to them.

Has anyone seen his last movie? That Red Tails or whatever it was called?

I just realised we are one step closer to David Mitchell's vision of movies just being called 'disneys'.

KOEJv.jpg?1

Yes, Leia is now a trademarked certified genuine Disney Princess.

They'll be making a star wars world at Disney land no doubt

I'm guessing this new film will be penned in for a Christmas 2015 release, and will slot in to the hole that the harry potter series has left.... Avengers 2 is coming out in 2015, separate out the movies as well as all the merchandising that comes with it.

These new movies are going to be squarely aimed at da kidz. And will probably be aimed at a younger audience then the current marvel comic book movies

Lucas said he has given Ms Kennedy his storylines and other ideas "and I have complete confidence that she's going to take them and make great movies".

oh god, please Ms Kennedy just chuck that shit on the fire

nothing new, just the words from his own mouth. i like when lucas says i've written all this stuff and i'm passing it over to Kathy and shes like hmmm yeah we're talking to writers :)

oh and here is another video of George Lucas killing star wars

As a battered and abused one-time fan, I feel like this can only be a good thing for Star Wars.

I trust DIsney to better know how to manage a multi-billion dollar media franchise than i trust an aging Lucas.

...will Star Wars be a World in the next Kingdom Hearts game...?

Had not considered that possibility. Did blow my mind in weird ways.

Monkey Island in Kingdom Hearts.

Indiana Jones is a sure bet.

It took me until now to realize this deal has been in the works for months and months and months, and they've had all this time to come up with wacky viral videos.