Sign in to follow this  
flaps

MaK: Sandbox/Action Hybrid + Relative Gravity & Building

Hey,

For almost a year I've been working with some friends on a pretty interesting game. Its a sandbox with Mario Galaxy style gravity, physics oriented building, and a bunch of game modes we're building on top of it. Here's a short demonstration we recorded.

The game is still pretty early in development, so there's a bunch of cool stuff we'll be adding. I'll post updates here on and off, if you don't mind.

We're also running a Kickstarter campagin at the moment. You can check it out here: http://kck.st/Tkak5d

giGU8.jpg

Oh jesus, this is your baby? I was completely enticed by that video when it showed up a couple weeks ago. Kickstarter ho!

E: I should ask, since you're here. How big are your "maps" intended to end up being? I assume the group of planetoids in that video is just a dev world.

I remember seeing a preview for this somewhere too (RPS?) and was immediately excited. Looks like the perfect kind of game my kids and I would get a kick out of playing together. I'm definitely in.

Thanks guys! Yeah, that's a development level we're using for testing features. The next thing we'd like to do with level design is to build some really large environments with orbiting planets. But we're probably going to focus on features and the more involved systems first. You'd be surprised how many basic, established methods we've had to build from scratch to work in arbitrary gravity situations. But, its a really fun challenge and the idea of building all sorts of cool simulations that interact with the wacky physics really appeals to us :)

We started building it as a multiplayer prototype first. We want the sandbox stuff to mesh directly with moment-to-moment gameplay. And we have a very modular game mode system that we're planning to extend into several goal oriented multi-player and single player modes.

Breakdancing swatiska robots. :hitlerbomb:

This is very impressive! I've backed it up and I'll spread the word.

2 questions though:

* will it be possible to record template or blueprints of constructions? I can see it's going to be fun to build complex machine from scratch once, but I wouldn't want to start from zero everytime. It'd be great to be able to create a library of blueprints (and possibly share them). Once a blueprint is in the library, you could pick it and it would generate a 'shopping list' of the type of cube that you need to complete it. After gathering all the elements, you'd just drop the final result anywhere.

* will you allow player to code their own cube logic through an SDK?

Anyway, it looks great and it seems to play great too.

+ A definite yes to the first. We will use the same technique to save contraptions as part of world states in the single/co-op campaign. Blueprint sharing sounds like a great idea, too.

+ We have talked about building a cool modding interface. It's definitely something we'd love to do if we have the opportunity. A level editor would take top priority.

I am super sad it looks like this game won't make the goal, 'cause it's definitely one of the more interesting games I've seen on Kickstarter.

But, you seem to have a lot done already!

Yeah. Kickstarter has been a really interesting and emotionally draining experience. I think we could have done very well if we had garnered some press, especially considering how well we're doing on Greenlight. We've been working on this, part-time, for almost a year. I quit my job to pursue the project. So we'll at least give it the best shot we can. The response we've had has been really positive and encouraging so far, although not large enough in scale. Crowd-funding is just one approach, however, and we are looking into other options :)

That's good. I really want to play this game when it's finished!

I will give you money if you allow me to play with your bits. Deal or no deal.

I'd donate. It'd be a shame for this game not to see the light of day, especially considering you guys seem pretty far along. I showed the video to my son, who loves Legos and Minecraft and he was just as excited as I was. Conversation went like this...

"Did you buy this game?"

"Uh, not yet. They're raising money to finish the game. I contributed and we'll get 2 copies when they finish."

"Does Mom know?"

"No, I didn't tell her yet."

"I can keep a secret."

:-P

Sorry to see the Kickstarter didn't make it. Good luck guys, judging from the videos this game looks super interesting and I really hope it eventually comes to fruition!

Wow, this looks great! I'm so sad I didn't see this before the Kickstarter ended.. ;(

I love that you have the Minecraft gameplay but your own, unique aesthetic. And that concept art on the Kickstarter is really great. You guys are good. :worship: Let us all know when you have an alpha we can throw money at!