Sign in to follow this  
TychoCelchuuu

JazzPunk - A Retro Spyberpunk Comedy Adventure

Personally, I was surprised that it never lost steam. There were great jokes all throughout. My only concern was how, as you said Sno, the first level was so dense that it seemed to reward exploration and that encouragement didn't pay off well in the Hotel level. Mostly of those rooms were empty and that felt like a misstep.

Jazzpunk isn't really working for me, and I think it could be my fault. I started playing with the intention of finding as many jokes as possible and covering as much of the map as possible to do so. The problem is that this just kills the pacing. You end up clicking on each person you encounter over and over hoping a new thing will happen, or returning to areas with nothing in them in hopes of a neat secret. Since Airplane! has been a point of reference for understanding the game, I was thinking about how its the pacing that makes that movie work. Jokes are layered in over jokes without much of a break. When playing Jazzpunk obsessively, this isn't the case. I rarely feel like I'm playing a game wrong, but maybe I am this time.

Personally, I was surprised that it never lost steam. There were great jokes all throughout. My only concern was how, as you said Sno, the first level was so dense that it seemed to reward exploration and that encouragement didn't pay off well in the Hotel level. Mostly of those rooms were empty and that felt like a misstep.

Yeah, I certainly agree with this. I looked in all the rooms and only a few had surprises. I think if the other levels were as dense as the first one the game would have been better, but overall I enjoyed it. The brand of humor and absurdity (because some of it is just strange and not actually funny) is certainly not somethign that appeals to everyone, but I definitely enjoyed it. I did actually laugh a few times too, which I find doesn't happen often when playing a game.

At some point though, it wasn't a comedy game so much as just a weird absurd experience, and some of the stuff in there was funny, but I didn't need the jokes to work for the game to work.

The Hotel level was for sure a low point but it was by no means boring, I don’t think I have ever laughed as much as when I discovered Wedding Qake.

I just beat this game.  I liked it.  It looked good and I took a lot of screenshots.

I beat just about zero of the "game" portions, though.  I never played actual Wave Race 64 and I'm terrible at the fake version.  Looks like I'll have to go back for all those delectable achievements!

I'm not sure the gravy race is supposed to be beatable. at least I was never able to do it, and it seemed like the AI was designed to make perfect laps

But then my friend beat it?

...But then a character said "that's not supposed to be possible"

In conclusion:  ?????

Just started this and played the first mission. That opening cinematic was great, I kinda wish the whole game was rendered in that style but 3D stylisation is tricky.

I definitely find it more entertaining and enjoyable than funny per se (I don't mean that in a bad way).

Also did anyone else find the mouse looking overly sensitive? I didn't seem to find a setting to fix it and it might be cause I had a sketchbook for a mousepad but it made me feel drunk and disoriented, especially cause it got worse at the higher tension bits like when

fighting pizza zombies and being disoriented as the pizza box laughed at me.

I don't remember the middle of that game at all. I played it in one sitting with a friend of mine pretty soon after it came out. Like most people I think the humor was kind of hit or miss. The entire world feels like an episode of Tom Goes to the Mayor or something. It's entertaining but after about 10 minutes the ad hoc nonsense going on  doesn't seem quite so ludic and just generally loses a lot of it's effect. 

Also did anyone else find the mouse looking overly sensitive?

Yes.  I play with a MacBook Pro trackpad and my vision was flipping all over the place.  I ended up just living with it though, because I thought maybe the game didn't need me to display any dexterity?

Yes.  I play with a MacBook Pro trackpad and my vision was flipping all over the place.  I ended up just living with it though, because I thought maybe the game didn't need me to display any dexterity?

Yeah, I'm probably not going to fix it either. It may get more annoying but for the one mission I played, I liked being stupidly frantic whenever things were happening.