toblix

Kentucky Route Zero

I love the idea of a phone collector with no knowledge of these origins who will outbid anyone interested in KR0 itself.

Any chance one of you local American thumbs is planning to ring the number and hear what happens?

This is amazing, and they are amazing. Also, I think Cardboard Computer has the sophistication to "create art" in a way that I said The Black Glove kickstarter didn't.

I called it. It's guide for the Echo River provided by "the bureau of secret tourism". Imagine being in a new location in the game but your interaction is audio only. The menu choices are things like "if you don't remember dialing this number at all, press 5" and "Noises you are hearing in the dark," the latter of which then plays audio of things like "the sound of a canoe tipping over miles away." One option required I listen to a lengthy organ solo. Right now I'm listening to a guide to having a religious ceremony with the snake I claimed to be holding. It's pretty fantastic.

What is in the 275 megabyte "dialing software" download?

I'd bet money it is so you can experience the call without having to dial it (outside the US, shitty low minute plan, etc).

I'd bet money it is so you can experience the call without having to dial it (outside the US, shitty low minute plan, etc).

I've just spent ~20 minutes with it, and "experience the call" is exactly what it does.  More than that, actually, it is perhaps the worlds most specific telephone simulator.

You can also dial the operator.

just dashed in here to mention the thingy. good to see y'all are on the case.

I just played Here And There Along The Echo, and it is kind of wonderful. The writing has the same poetic style as the main game, but voiced this time. Whoever did the voice work did a perfect job, too. 

I suspect there is more going on here that most people realize. People in the steam discussions have found some easter eggs, and it seems like there are others yet to be found. In addition, the ebay auctuion for that weird phone ended a few days ago, and I wouldn't be surprised if there is something unusual in there.

The auction page implies more phones will be put on sale in the future, but as is typical with KR0, it is unclear where the fiction aligns with reality.

There's also a new screenshot of a boat.

I's been so long since the last act I think I'm going to have to play through at least act III again to remind myself what actually happened. Not that I mind, this game is wonderful and I was looking for an excuse to play it again anyway.

Own it, but haven't played it at all. I should probably catch up so I can join the #hype right?

You should play it because it's good, not because you feel compelled to. I also would not recommend playing more that one episode in a sitting, as I think the game greatly benefits from some breathing room.

I don't know how I should approach this game. I played through Act 1 and some of Act 2 a long time ago and loved the experience, but then stopped for some reason. Probably another game came out or something. Now I remember almost nothing of the plot, and would like to play through all the acts consecutively. I don't know whether I should wait for Act 5 to be released as well, or just play through acts 1-4 now, and then wait for the final act for, what, a year?

I'm so jazzed about the impending release of Episode 4! Episode 3 was one of the most memorable gaming experiences I've had. I also just recently played through all of the free interstitial episodes, so this news comes at just the right time for me. Playing the interstitials did make me realise that I don't remember much about some of the specifics of the plot and the characters, though, so I'm going to play through all of the episodes before playing 4.

I also got myself riled up by reading Steam reviews, most of which are now people complaining that the developers are scamming people because the game isn't finished yet. Grr.

I similarly feel like I wanna replay it at some point, probably afterwards though because even while playing I really don't think I'm grasping the game fully at all.

I'd love a podcasty/video discussion about it à la the Twin Peaks Rewatch, where it's not so much deep thorough analysis as it is a discussion of stuff that the game does I might not have picked up on.

Silly question, but does any info carry between chapters? I built a new computer, and moved since I last played.

I'm not sure how many choices carry over, but some certainly do. The name of your dog is an obvious one.

I just replayed the first chapter because I thought I had to do so in order to get my choices back where I wanted them (after I restarted to show someone the game), but I saw that at the end of the chapter it just dumps you back to the main menu with "Restart Chapter X" being the only options. 

This implies to me that restarting chapters isn't a big deal and that "~my choices~" aren't something to worry about. Unless it is the name of the dog, which should always be Blue.

I love this game so much. I had a physical copy of the script for their fictional plays and its very nicely put together. These side-pieces to the game are really something else. I wonder if any other episodic game will do something similar of it it simply too crazy, time-consuming, or expensive to do so.

I'd love a podcasty/video discussion about it à la the Twin Peaks Rewatch, where it's not so much deep thorough analysis as it is a discussion of stuff that the game does I might not have picked up on.

Have you seen these?

https://superlevel.de/spiele/kentucky-fried-zero-english-edition/

https://superlevel.de/spiele/kentucky-fried-zero-act-2-english-edition/

https://superlevel.de/spiele/kentucky-fried-zero-act-3-english-edition/

edit: those aren't podcast/video but they are articles which unpack some of the references across the 3 acts.

Have you seen these?

https://superlevel.de/spiele/kentucky-fried-zero-english-edition/

https://superlevel.de/spiele/kentucky-fried-zero-act-2-english-edition/

https://superlevel.de/spiele/kentucky-fried-zero-act-3-english-edition/

edit: those aren't podcast/video but they are articles which unpack some of the references across the 3 acts.

This is fantastic, exactly what I was thinking of! (don't know why I specified video/podcast). Thanks!