melmer

Bioshock ∞ - New trailer 21 Oct

Ok I watched it!

I liked the music. Maybe it seems too Video game-commercial style though, I get that.

I smiled at the first part, that's a really overt wink. He's on the boat WITH a woman though. Maybe that's at the end of the story?

How is there a bay in Columbia?

Looks like Columbia has an organized religion. Maybe it's something to do with this Monument Island statue?

Is Elizabeth a prophet in Columbia?

REALLY good animation on that fall, I really like that.

Really good smoke comin off these guns, I forgot Bioshock did that. Bioshock has a unique identity of visual effects, and the return of fuckin gross plasmid hands deserve a shoutout.

What the FUCK is that part where you slam a guy's face into a skyhook!?

"Dimwit's single scoop LAZY lemon" is a really good name for an old-timey ice cream.

Yep this game is rad. They're so good at not giving anything away. They only really revealed a couple new things in this trailer if you freeze-frame through it, and there's like no dialogue.

EDIT-- Oh hey look, Booker's got an "A" branded onto his hand:

t2p1w.png

Is this something old American slave-owners would do? Is hheeeeee a criminal? Is this a misplaced bump map? MYSTERIES!!!

lol, i_smell i like how you went from being afraid to spoilers to analyzing it frame by frame. :P

The A could mean adultery or arson maybe? Either way, I'm as psyched now as I have ever been. And that is to say, psyched to the max.

I'm actually glad they focused on action above narrative. I don't want to know anything beyond what has already been established. I want the story to be a pleasant surprise, as it was in Bioshock.

Anyone else a little worried about the pace that skyhook might force? Bioshock was a slower sort of smell the flower contemplative experience. The skyhook stuff looks to be rather fast and shoots the players actor all over the environment. I'm sure that'll end up with a much different kind of feeling. I don't know if a system like that is quite as familiar tot he environmental pickups Bioshock used to such great effect...

I'm not to worried. I'm still more excited for this then anything else on the horizon!

Nah it's all out in the sky, so they HAVE TO give some kind of sense of the open air, and the free-wheeling danger of falling n stuff.

I bet they will change the COMBAT a lot, seeing as how you can jump off cliffs and get into roller-coaster chases, but as far as exploring the world I think that's Irrational's strongest muscle. I'd be really shocked if you could just speed passed everything.

Thinking about combat, actually, Columbia isn't a post-apocolyptic empty shell... so what happens when you kill all the guys in an area? Is it just empty? Do you evade everyone and escape?

Anyone else a little worried about the pace that skyhook might force? Bioshock was a slower sort of smell the flower contemplative experience. The skyhook stuff looks to be rather fast and shoots the players actor all over the environment. I'm sure that'll end up with a much different kind of feeling. I don't know if a system like that is quite as familiar tot he environmental pickups Bioshock used to such great effect...

I wonder if that stuff is at all influenced by their work on Tribes.

I'm thinking the sky hook is going to act like batmans grapple from Arkham city, where you'll point at a rail/hook press a button and you'll be launched magnetically in the right direction.

It needs to be effortless, fluid and fun. So it'll have to be somewhat automatic. If you have to get every jump manually spot on I can see it being pretty unforgiving and frustrating. Leaping for a rail and falling to your death for the umpteenth time ain't fun

Reading past interviews it sounds like Kens all about getting the beer swilling everyman interested in the game. Even more reason for a lock on button

They talked all about the sky-hook once in an early PAX panel. It rides the rails, I don't think it's any kind of grappling hook.

- you can see he hops around a lot. Nobody ever zips anywhere with a skyhook.

When you hop from one rail to another, or jump off a cliff, you'll have a kind of reticle that magnet-snaps onto the nearest rail you're looking at. If you look closely in that clip you can see a little white ring that I think has been made bigger and more glowy in other gameplay videos.

Yeah that's what I mean, not an actual grappling hook. But just the mechanic of aiming at where you want to hook on to and pressing a button, will make booker leap at it like a kangaroo on steriods.

Also there's a bit in the new trailer where bookers flying towards a highlighted enemy. Like the enemys been highlighted and leaped at probably from a rail

Mark my words, it'll be the number one bullet point on the back of the box

• Revolutionary new leap mechanic

Yeah that's what I mean, not an actual grappling hook. But just the mechanic of aiming at where you want to hook on to and pressing a button, will make booker leap at it like a kangaroo on steriods.

It lengthens Booker's jump distance a bit, to reduce the frustration of being JUST out of range of a Sky-Line or something like that, but it doesn't turn him into a crazy jetpacker.

I enjoyed this trailer! I enjoyed the music!

I noticed Ken Levine mentioned once they've had a devil of a time finding period-appropriate music that wasn't dire, and eventually decided they'd have Columbia skip forward a bit and have jazz and blues just starting in the 'colored sections' of the city, which would then cause a little bit of racial tension because it's extremely xenophobic as a city but they're just realising their culturally superior music is a bit shit. Who knows if that plot point's survived, I half-expect the entire game to have been rewritten at this point.

Can this and the Chris Remo's Icarus be combined and the name somehow changed so that it still has Remo and Icarus and also Bioshock Infinite mentioned? :D

I finally got the stupid GFWL working and I have bought Minerva's Den so before Infinite comes out, I'll replay Bioshock 1 and play Minerva's Den just to get to the right mood.

I bought and downloaded Minerva's Den, and then went to my shelf and found that I had traded in Bioshock 2. So that was annoying.

Haha, didn't notice that somebody already changed the Icarus thread's name yesterday/today. :D