Jake

Idle Thumbs Ruinationcast

You ruined it. We ruined it.

329__header.jpg

Idle Thumbs 78: The Ruinationcast

As part of our Kickstarter campaign, backers were given the chance to help us ruin an episode by giving us a list of topics we had to discuss. The following four and a half hours is the result of that list. Enjoy.

What's Inside?! Over one hundred and seventy unique topics! Four plus hours of podcast death marching! YOU make the podcast with YOUR questions!

Direct episode download.

iTunes page.

Feed RSS.

Episode page.

Visit the Original Ruinationcast thread from Phaedrus' Secret Hole.

Nuclear blast artwork by Soufiane Senhadji.

Every time I hit pause iTunes skips the cast back 2 minutes and I can't track forward without skipping ahead of where i paused. So I get to re-listen to 2 minutes every time I need to go do something. So I'm afraid to hit pause. I'm essentially in podcast jail right now.

I'm so glad people's $200 went toward jets to replace fire engines for this.

Edit -

Rogue LikeLike.png

Edit Edit - When you guys (Jake, Chris) say you didn't like KotOR, what about it? Was it the mechanics or the story/presentation?

You probably still could, if you find Chris in the correct darkened back room and press two crisp hundred-dollar bills into his palm

FYI, the taqueria they mentioned in the Mission that has board game nights is Taqueria San Jose (their al pastor is not bad!)

I did not know about this board game night, so thanks for mentioning it on the podcast... I am inclined to check it out now. It is so funny because I've spent a number of Friday nights after work drinking at Rosamunde perfectly oblivious to all the awesome boardgaming happening basically next door. Damn I love SF.

Also while I am on the topic of SF-related stuff I will also mention Universal Cafe as a totally amazing brunch spot.

That episode was slightly painful. At least it sounded painful for the hosts. Good job.

Finally picked up Tokyo Jungle. I love how a Pomeranian can take down a lion. Very addicting though.

I loved it. Lots of interesting topics that wouldn't normally be brought up. It made me really appreciate the way the guys think about things

RE: nakedness in games, I thought dishonored had an interesting little vignette partway through that dealt with the characters as actual people thrown together in one house dealing with their cooped up living conditions. I'd be interested in impressions on that if had an effect on anyone who's experienced it.

RE: nakedness in games, I thought dishonored had an interesting little vignette partway through that dealt with the characters as actual people thrown together in one house dealing with their cooped up living conditions. I'd be interested in impressions on that if had an effect on anyone who's experienced it.

are you talking about creeper piero?

I think that is the longest podcast I have ever listened to. Who and where am I?

Try subscribing to The D6 Generation podcast and listening regularly. Those guys put out an epic amount of content.

are you talking about creeper piero?

I am.

Oh in my enthusiasm to ask a question I forgot to say how impressed I was that the cast was held together for 5 straight hours. That's crazy!

So I was listening to this over the weekend while walking around SF, since I was there for an interview (which went well I think, hopefully I get it and and move there). At one point the thumbs were talking about coffee, and a coffee shop at Folsom and 6th was mentioned, and that was pretty weird because I was standing at the corner of Folsom and 7th at the time. Thought about walking there and getting some coffee, but it was mid afternoon and I didn't really want any right then.

Chris apparently has the exact same coffee taste as I though. 2 cups of black coffee a day.

Great episode!

Question: What was the name of the game news website they mentioned briefly in the episode? It had a very short URL and they mentioned they liked it quite a bit for game developer-related news. Unfortunately I was driving at the time and could not write it down and now I can't remember where in the cast it showed up. :(

It is funny to hear you talking about what a huge kick to your lives and weltanschauung the Kickstarter was before it even went up. Even though we have been working on the new Idle Thumbs logo since fall of 2011 and I am on the Kickstarter page as one of the "value-added" features—I didn't know ANYTHING about the Kickstarter until A DAY before it went live when Jake offhandedly mentioned it in an aim chat.

Can't wait to check out that logo t irl. :tup:

So I was listening to this over the weekend while walking around SF, since I was there for an interview (which went well I think, hopefully I get it and and move there). At one point the thumbs were talking about coffee, and a coffee shop at Folsom and 6th was mentioned, and that was pretty weird because I was standing at the corner of Folsom and 7th at the time. Thought about walking there and getting some coffee, but it was mid afternoon and I didn't really want any right then.

Chris apparently has the exact same coffee taste as I though. 2 cups of black coffee a day.

Oh yeah, Sightglass is pretty amazing. Most coffee places in SF I prefer their espresso though. The exception is Blue Bottle, where I'm pretty into their drip coffee (although I find the quality varies kind of radically from location to location...)

I loved how food topics seemed to derail the discussion more and more as the cast wore on. After the near-palpable hunger pangs from that episode (which led to brilliant discussion of pork, pie, coffee and other comestibles) I can't be the only one wondering where they all went to eat afterwards.

Klenton Willis here. The Ruination cast was great! I had to listen to the whole thing because I was one of the last topics read! Really enjoyed the discussion and especially the SF Eats and Coffee spots.

Just received the $200 Kick Starter Stuff and I am in a state of bliss. Thanks for Detroit Tigers love!

Hearing you guys ruin my topic was great! I asked about the gaming as a job type thing and hearing my question read out loud, I can see how you would go down the gamification/jobification path. I mentioned Ender's Game because at one point Ender didn't know he was doing real shit and that it was more than simulation. I don't know if that falls in into the definition of gamification. Maybe it does.

Anyway, keep up the good shit. Love what you guys are doing, hence the showering of funds!