riadsala

Ideas for 3MA shows

I'd defiantly agree on that one, tbh I think it's been mentioned so often when talking about other games that I actually thought there had been a show on it at some point

Ha yeah. I went through the list of episodes since the game became available to purchase digitally just to make sure I hadn't simply forgotten about it/missed an episode.

I have a feeling this isn't necessary to suggest, but I think it's a good time to have a Valkyria Chronicles episode, as it just came out on PC. It looks like Rob already played it a few years ago too.

Time to suggest the panel play TLF again. Version 2.0 is out this week, and there's an expansion out around the same time. Sounds like the game has done well, and the post release patches have added a lot to the game. You have to admire Arcen, not only do they think out side the box, but they also really reward their customers supporting their games.

I'm usually the one who will champion an Arcen game as a show topic. I think The Last Federation happened to release at a time when I had no time or mental resources to get into a game that deep. I picked it up on release day but unfortunately it lay fallow on my Steam list as life marched on.

I've always admired Arcen's decision to make games that are unique and challenge common themes or conventions. At the same time, that precludes the "gaming shorthand" that can get people started quickly. I added it to the list of games of interest a while ago, but I don't know when we might get onto it. I'm not aware of how well it's doing or if they are looking at expanding it in the near future, but that might be a game we let mellow for a while and then pick up when it's in the news again. I'll keep pushing for it, though! We haven't had Chris on since November of 2012, so it's nigh time we get to check in with him again.

Time to suggest the panel play TLF again. Version 2.0 is out this week, and there's an expansion out around the same time. Sounds like the game has done well, and the post release patches have added a lot to the game. You have to admire Arcen, not only do they think out side the box, but they also really reward their customers supporting their games.

My experience with TLF has been a lot like my initial exposure to Crusader Kings 2. Fascinated but too lost to actually figure out what I'm supposed to be doing. Is there a good resource for this game that would help?

My experience with TLF has been a lot like my initial exposure to Crusader Kings 2. Fascinated but too lost to actually figure out what I'm supposed to be doing. Is there a good resource for this game that would help?

I'd suggest patience. There are probably youtube videos that show you how to win but I think that maybe would ruin the point of the game? I just have fun playing around with the game and seeing what happens. I haven't played it all that much, but I really like the ideas in the game. Once you get an idea of each race's personality, the game makes a bit more sense. And I get the impression that it's fairly difficult to hit a lose condition.

I would be interested in a semi-regular "patch/update/mod" show. It would be interesting to see if all the post release patches for Rome2:Total War have improved the game significantly, or is it still a game to avoid. I'm sure there's a plenty long list of strategy game that have been released in recent years and have seen significant post release/review changes. 

i *still* plan to back to Elemental (or whatever they're calling it these days) and see how it eventually ended up. 

Rome 2 is functional but because they didn't get rid of army stance mechanic and that combined with open map makes it pretty average at best (combination of those two make army movements in campaign REALLY annoying, as AI will just send stacks on marching order deep into your land and it just becomes this awful chasing game).  If you are craving for Total War system and played all other TW games to death then it's worth picking up on sales, but otherwise avoid.

Have any of the 3MA regulars played Vlaada Chvatil's board game Mage Knight? It's a sprawling synthesis of deck building, exploration, and resource management, and it supports solo, co-op and competitive play. It's a very intimidating game that feels like it's straining at the edges of what's possible on the tabletop, but it's incredible how all the pieces fit together once you get moving. It would make a fascinating discussion.

How about a show on the Pacific Theater and why it is so under represented at the tactical level?

Since they just had a EU4 revisit I could get behind this

I've also gotten back into CoH, and now I'm playing "The Great War of 1918" mod for it...total conversion mod of vanilla CoH that turns it into WW1 1918 era...free download on steam, might be interesting for Troy and Rob to square off and then give feedback on...(I know they just did a year of WW1 related material however)

I doubt that it needs to be recommended, since it seems like it's being covered everywhere, but Darkest Dungeon should probably find its way to a 3MA episode in the near future. It's sort of a dungeon-crawling, XCOM-ish game with a Lovecraftian theme.

How 'bout Homeworld?

Because there's nothing to say. It's brilliant. End of show :)

And with the remastered version coming out, why listen to 3MA chat about it when you could just go play straight away.

I've probably suggested this before, but I'd love a show on mods. Maybe pick a few big mods for a few popular games, and talk about if they really manage to improve on the developers original design. The mod scene is an important part of PC gaming (and the podcast generally has a PC focus), and I also think they have a special place in the strategy genre.

How about Eastside Hockey Manager? I've heard good things about it, and it would be timely. 

Go Ducks.

The History of a Genre/Idea 

I find learning the history of a game, especially the evolution of it's rule or system set, to not only be interesting but also helpful in understanding and playing it. As someone who's been interested in strategy games forever but never been particularly gifted at the nuts and bolts, I would love to hear about how focus on different particulars changed over time.

The History of a Genre/Idea 

I find learning the history of a game, especially the evolution of it's rule or system set, to not only be interesting but also helpful in understanding and playing it. As someone who's been interested in strategy games forever but never been particularly gifted at the nuts and bolts, I would love to hear about how focus on different particulars changed over time.

This is a great idea.

And, I'm guessing you might be interested in this thread on RPS forums discussing the history of elemental magic game mechanics.

This is a great idea.

And, I'm guessing you might be interested in this thread on RPS forums discussing the history of elemental magic game mechanics.

I..Damn, yeah, for a lot of reasons. Thanks!