riadsala

Ideas for 3MA shows

They did have an episode about East India Trading Company that kind of explained what some basic expectations they have for trading games. Apparently East india Trading company didn't have any of them.

They kept referencing Railroad Tycoon as a high-water mark.

Dominions 4 has been announced :)

I would love to have the game developers on 3MA. I remember listening to an episode on Dominions 3 some time ago, the game has a cult following years after its release and Dominions 4 promise of reducing micromanagement could be the key to having it accepted in a wider audience. Its the only game that I have consistantly played for the past 5 years and it definitely deserves a show pre-release show.

With the release of the Bureau I've got the idea of strategy games that make the leap into other genres. Do the worlds we occupy in strategy games have a place in other formats? What would it take for a non-strategy game to enrich the strategy title?

Galciv 3 has been announced.

I've heard Paxton on Polycast, has he been on TMA before? My brain is saying he may have been but I'm not sure....

Ah yes! After a brief search episode 195: Fallen Enchantress with Derek Paxton.

I must say I am interested. I hope that with Paxton involved the game will move away from its horrible economic system (tax slider that can be moved in increments of 1% each turn). I almost signed up for the Beta access.

Maybe a podcast on it will sway me, you can even say that to Paxton to get him on the show :)

A nice long conversation on Homeworld 1 & 2 and the new upcoming Homeworld prequel and what they'd like to see in a new Homeworld would be great. I think

A nice long conversation on Homeworld 1 & 2 and the new upcoming Homeworld prequel and what they'd like to see in a new Homeworld would be great. I think

Seconded.

I'm guessing I'm one of the few people who's a little sad to see a new Homeworld game. Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that the old games are going to get a re-release, and I look forward to buying them on gog.com.

but, isn't the story more or less done there? And, it was the story (and music) that really drew me into HW1. 

I guess this is just the way big budget entertainment is going: keep rehashing the same old IP over and over. 

I'd much rather see a "spiritual successor" in the similar manner to Proj Eternity and the new Torments game. Both look like they're be providing new worlds to explore. 

Galciv 3 has been announced.

I've heard Paxton on Polycast, has he been on TMA before? My brain is saying he may have been but I'm not sure....

Ah yes! After a brief search episode 195: Fallen Enchantress with Derek Paxton.

I must say I am interested. I hope that with Paxton involved the game will move away from its horrible economic system (tax slider that can be moved in increments of 1% each turn). I almost signed up for the Beta access.

Maybe a podcast on it will sway me, you can even say that to Paxton to get him on the show :)

I loved GalCiv2 and am incredibly excited for GalCiv3. I will lobby to get it in as a topic. I don't know what the crew's opinions on Homeworld are but I can bring it up when have a planning meeting.

I'm guessing I'm one of the few people who's a little sad to see a new Homeworld game. Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that the old games are going to get a re-release, and I look forward to buying them on gog.com.

but, isn't the story more or less done there? And, it was the story (and music) that really drew me into HW1. 

I guess this is just the way big budget entertainment is going: keep rehashing the same old IP over and over. 

I'd much rather see a "spiritual successor" in the similar manner to Proj Eternity and the new Torments game. Both look like they're be providing new worlds to explore. 

What I read of the new Homeworld title (it wasn't to have the name Homeworld originally) gave the impression that it was to be spiritual successor with different gameplay. This was before the news of the developers being given permission to use the Homeworld IP.

Interestingly, especially after listening to the latest podcast, it was to be a salvage economic game--a competitive game of salvaging crashed spacecraft on land. Again, that's just the impression I got reading what little there was out there about it.

---

I actually haven't played that much of the Homeworld games and don't personally care much about the story in the games (though the story of a unique RTS being made that is then successful, if that's what you're referring to, I do find interesting). I just recently found out that there is a skirmish mode in the original game under Multiplayer. I'd gotten the second game first and it had none. When I first started the original I thought it was more of the same.

Edited by RTS Novice

Any possibility of a discussion on the new Age of Wonders 3 game in a couple of months time once it has released. 

Currently looking like a combo between Fallen Enchantress and Heroes of Might and Magic.

On the topic of retro games, two old strategy games I love are Myth II and Ground Control, and both hold up surprisingly well. Hearing them talk about either of those would be a treat!

This seems right up the panels alley...

Ultimate General for ipad and PC. Made by Nick Thomadis otherwise knows as Darth Vader, the guy that did all the Darthmods for the Total War games. The pics of UG look great. Devils in the details, I'd love the TMA crew to take a look at the game and see what they think.

*edit* Just noticed its been Greenlit on Steam and sounds like release is not too far away. If TMA do talk to this fellow please ask why no Android release, as an Android gamer I do get tired of good releases passing me by and this looks like a game I would enjoy more on my tablet while cruising around rather than sitting at my PC. I'm getting sick of sitting at my PC :)

Have I got news for you! It's already in the works...

This seems right up the panels alley...

Ultimate General for ipad and PC. Made by Nick Thomadis otherwise knows as Darth Vader, the guy that did all the Darthmods for the Total War games. The pics of UG look great. Devils in the details, I'd love the TMA crew to take a look at the game and see what they think.

Oh nice, I recently found out about how UG is on Steam Early Access and was thinking about grabbing it sometime soon. Definitely looks like there are some novel and really great design decisions happening there.

I'd have thought The Last Federation would have caught the 3MA panels attention by now, its a sort of Grand Strategy in space game with diplomatic concerns that adds a Babylon 5 style twist to it. You know Chris Park, Arcen's main man, would probably be up for a show.. I think a lot of listeners would really appreciate this topic, and hopefully you can eek some more info about future Arcen projects from Chris himself.

http://arcengames.com/the-last-federation/

I'd have thought The Last Federation would have caught the 3MA panels attention by now, its a sort of Grand Strategy in space game with diplomatic concerns that adds a Babylon 5 style twist to it. You know Chris Park, Arcen's main man, would probably be up for a show.. I think a lot of listeners would really appreciate this topic, and hopefully you can eek some more info about future Arcen projects from Chris himself.

http://arcengames.com/the-last-federation/

I'm usually the one who will champion an Arcen game as a show topic. I think The Last Federation happened to release at a time when I had no time or mental resources to get into a game that deep. I picked it up on release day but unfortunately it lay fallow on my Steam list as life marched on.

I've always admired Arcen's decision to make games that are unique and challenge common themes or conventions. At the same time, that precludes the "gaming shorthand" that can get people started quickly. I added it to the list of games of interest a while ago, but I don't know when we might get onto it. I'm not aware of how well it's doing or if they are looking at expanding it in the near future, but that might be a game we let mellow for a while and then pick up when it's in the news again. I'll keep pushing for it, though! We haven't had Chris on since November of 2012, so it's nigh time we get to check in with him again.

Because of the rapid rate of development and integral feedback/modification loop with dedicated Arcen Games players, TLF has come on a lot in a very short space of time. Its development is following a similar course that AI War did in that its rapid, ongoing, and the game beds in quickly, but also is constantly pushing the boundaries. In May, Chris announced that the first expansion to the game is in development its called Betrayed Hope.

http://arcengames.com/summer-2014/

And in the comments Chris reveals how TLF has done (he's never been shy in opening his whole strategy and business up for public scrutiny)

This game has sold the best out of any title we’ve ever done, in terms of the timeframe that has elapsed so far. Far, far and away the best. It’s currently already up to something like 1/4 the amount of total income that AI War and all of its expansions have generated over the last 5 years, but in only the span of a month.

We’re within a few weeks of breaking even on the project, although since we’ve been doing so much post-release support that causes the costs to rise and thus both the expansion and ongoing sales help to offset that.

The reception to this title has been great — it’s one of our least-controversial titles ever, frankly. It current is tied for our second-best metascore behind AI War (tied with Tidalis). Those being our only three green metascores, although metascores really aren’t representative of the wider audience. But we’ve had very positive endorsements from a lot of heavy hitters, such as Total Biscuit.

Looking at the steam reviews on our steam page, there’s one unhappy guy at the top who played early versions and was frustrated, and that’s his prerogative. Then there’s pages and pages of super happy customers before you get to the next negative customer review.

We frankly have never had a hit this big in such a short amount of time. In a month this has earned nearly what it takes AI War to earn 2 years to earn, and AI War has been our enormous heavy-hitter in terms of earnings, and basically the thing keeping our company afloat, all these years.

Michael, definitely put some time aside and delve into the game. It's really quite gentle and paced in its approach, much more accessible - if you're a strategy gamer - than the likes of AI War. The tactical combat can now be auto-resolved if you don't find the space battles intriguing, and you can just work on the higher grand strategic level. Once you click with what its trying to do, essentially a balancing act between all the races diplomatically, perhaps singling out a particular race for anihilation and bonding with the others, creating a united federation it really becomes quite engrossing - with each of the races having a totally different attitude, government and way of managing their empires. Swap tech, manipulate racial opinions of each other, sabotage, spying, aid in building infrastructure, defending against pirates, lots of options all at the Grand Strategic level. Plus you can pewpewpew spaceships if you want :)

I'm sure Troy and Rob would be keen, and no doubt Tom would be positively effervescent. Perhaps.

I'm still waiting for the Pikmin episode. An Intelligent Systems episode (the developers of Advance Wars and Fire Emblem) would be pretty cool too. I think excursions into non-PC strategy games are always fun.

Maybe I missed an episode, but I don't remember them ever really talking about the old Commandos series of games - I think those would be interesting and easily encapsulated topic to revisit. As a game style they were pretty unique at the time, and don't really exist at all now, but I feel like they influenced a lot of things - the Men of War series for example, and that new Klei game Invisible Inc; I think even stealth games like Dishonored and Sniper Elite could be said to have borrowed some tricks from them.

I would be interested in a semi-regular "patch/update/mod" show. It would be interesting to see if all the post release patches for Rome2:Total War have improved the game significantly, or is it still a game to avoid. I'm sure there's a plenty long list of strategy game that have been released in recent years and have seen significant post release/review changes. 

i *still* plan to back to Elemental (or whatever they're calling it these days) and see how it eventually ended up. 

I think a revisit of EUIV is in order, especially after the upcoming Art of War. I'd like to know how they feel about the game now as opposed to a year ago. 

I'd love a show on the Footbal Manager series, for the only strategy game apart from Civ which regularly pops up in the steam most played list to never have come up on 3MA feels strange.

Now I know part of this may be Troy and Rob may not feel they can speak with great authority about a game they may have not played so much but I noticed them enjoying the World Cup on Twitter so perhaps there's a spark there which could be rekindled and there are plenty of people out there who have written intresting things about the game who could be roped in.

Just off the top of my head Rowan Kaiser wrote a great opinion peice on his problems with the last itteratation (http://www.unwinnable.com/2014/07/31/football-manager/#.VFvvPYjfWK0)which I found utterly fascinating but which totally contradicts my own experience on almost ever point, & Adam Smith did a thorough job of doing the review for RPS last time round too.

I think an episode on Kingdom of Dragon Pass is probably in order at some point.

I think an episode on Kingdom of Dragon Pass is probably in order at some point.

I'd defiantly agree on that one, tbh I think it's been mentioned so often when talking about other games that I actually thought there had been a show on it at some point