melmer

Idle Thumbs on Facebook

This is actually aimed at the idle thumbs guys (should really just email them) but anyone who uses facebook for business may find this useful

So yesterday after listening to the cloud atlus podcast, i thought i'd check out the Idle book club fb page. And found it super difficult to find!

Admittedly i though it was called the 'idle thumbs book club' which returns no results in facebook search, and google search just brought my to the idle thumbs website where the only facebook links are to the main idle thumbs facebook page.

It was only at this point that i twigged that it was called 'Idle book club' and was able to find it....But lesser mortals may have given up way before that

I was thinking idle thumbs might want to do some interconnectivity between their social platforms? My quick and dirty example:

XXPE6.jpg

I recently set this up on My works facebook page (which i just ripped off from a Cancun clubs facebook page, we've just booked next years holiday, SPRING BREAK WOOOOOO)

They allow you to add external links into your Facebook favourites panel....the possibilities are endless, could link one to your forum, twitch tv etc

I used a facebook Ifame app, there's a shit ton of them out there but the one i used is: 'Static Iframe Tab' (Says 'new share features for timeline' on the Icon)

And by all means if you think i'm sticking my nose in where its not wanted you can tell me to get fucked :)

Another thing you could do is when you post your podcasts, post them as an image, Like this:

CxHlK.jpg

Then you could 'highlight' each weeks podcast so it really stands out on your timeline

People fucking love images on facebook, trust me, your'll find your'll get a lot more likes, a further reach. And maybe even some shares.

Also, your'll get all your podcast images with links to the podcasts saved in the facebook image gallery, acting as a kind of archive

Just call me the facebook wizard

yeah, its just little things i've picked up along the way

i was in charge of this bad boy during the Olympics www.facebook.com/BritishSailingTeam

And we kind of figured out, if you want your posts to get noticed if you have to make them look pretty, or else they'll just get completely ignored

The Human mammal is a shallow creature

Hi Mington, thanks for the advice. I've found it really useful as I run two Facebook Pages and a Group and I've been lookign for ways to improve them.

One thing I have trouble with is events - events are the reason for these pages existence, but I am finding it difficult to combine a nice big photo in the timeline (starred or milestone) with a link to the event. Often the "@the event" protocol doesn't work. Any advice?

Yeah, events are difficult. We have them but we don't push them and no one pays any attention to them.

What you can do is post in the actual event itself, for example the banner here, second post down got a few likes:

https://www.facebook...57230710983019/

I've noticed that these posts wont actually appear on your timeline, but they do appear in your followers news feeds. I've just posted a news item in there so i can show you what i mean

The post should appear in your followers news feed as 'Your Page' > 'The Event'

rehi5.jpg

So you can post a big promotional banners/images in the actual event, and prompt people to 'Join the event' in the text with the image.

As for posts on the actual timeline, you could 'pin to top' the promotion image post, with lots of call to action text 'Join the event NOW!!'....i've just found out you can't 'highlight' and 'pin to top' at the same time :(

OK, that's annoying, but at least I don't feel like an idiot for missing something. Pages really do seem to be very awkward in some specifics things - wouldn't it be obvious that a page owner would like a nice big image next to an event link? Event posts just look small and horrible at the moment. I will try and figure out a compromise, I suspect by including the event URL in the image post. Crude but it seems to be the only way.

Groups have their own problems too, like the loophole for spambots to block admins and hide their posts. Grr. This week I am figuring out the best strategy for running a Group and a Page in tandem, for the same organisation (the group for existing community and the page for press and new audiences). I have to decide whether to post the Page's events to the Group, or the Group's events to the Page... or duplicate the event on each? Sigh.

In theory you should be able to get most of those 500 people in the group to like the new page, then once you've got 500 people on the page it should start growing organically..... in theory :)