Walter

Chris Roberts' new space combat sim

A joystick isn't a high barrier of entry! It's $20! Super Meat Boy has a higher barrier of entry, at least if you trust the game's "play this with a 360 controller or you're stupid" screen when it loads.

The kickstrter ended today for those who didn't know. They ended up raising 6.2 million dollars. A lot of promises to keep, but also a pretty good bankroll right now.

I'm kinda hesitant to bring this thread back from the dead, but I find the scope of this project fascinating. It's basically a AAA crowd-funded game at this point, and I'm not sure what to make of that. Heck, they even have their own reality show now, which is really weird. Has anyone else been following this project?

Yup! Really enjoying the frequent updates they do. Also really looking forward to the dogfighting module release. I hope it's good.

I haven't been following it, but I really should be since I backed it and am really interested in it. Looking forward to the dogfighting module too.

There is some subscription system that gets you a magazine and other things I don't understand at a glance? It kind of blows my mind how much STUFF there is for a game that doesn't seem to totally exist yet. There are 6 FAQs, none of which seem to start with "when is this game supposed to be out anyway?"

There is some subscription system that gets you a magazine and other things I don't understand at a glance? It kind of blows my mind how much STUFF there is for a game that doesn't seem to totally exist yet. There are 6 FAQs, none of which seem to start with "when is this game supposed to be out anyway?"

They're unveiling the dog-fighting alpha the night before PAX East (10 April) at an event in Boston, and I believe it will be in the hands of backers very soon thereafter. They had a timeline for subsequent beta tests of the MMO portion and the single-player campaign, and I believe even a projected final release date, but I don't believe that they've updated those since the alpha was pushed from late last year to this Spring.

http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Anticipated_Release_Schedule

Ahh, cool! See, I made the mistake of looking at the 6 FAQs on the "About" section of the official website, but not the official Wikia. (but not the FAQ on the wikia, which also answers a whole different set of questions).

Damn, a year and a half ago I was talking about "Indie" in the non traditional sense. They now have a budget bigger than some triple A title. I've honestly no idea what's going on with this game half the time other than "they've invented a perpetual money machine" and "they are now adding even more stuff" and I've bought in! I'm going to have to recover what my login and stuff even is pretty soon.

So thanks for the thing Tycho, now maybe I can catch up on the whos a whatsit and the whatso dosit.