Walter

Chris Roberts' new space combat sim

I can't believe there isn't a thread for this yet. Outrage!

I mean, I know there's people here into space combat sims. Anyone tuning into the livestream for the big announcement/demo tomorrow morning? (10AM EST) Or later today, for those of you on the other side of the planet.

Here's the teaser trailer (seriously a tease): http://www.gamespot....railer-6397470/

An interview with Chris Roberts that just went up today: http://www.gamespot....gaming-6397925/

And here's a link to the imminent livestream: http://www.gamespot....c_panel20121010

It's kind of crazy how mech games are coming back with a vengeance--here's hoping the same happens for space combat sims.

I could have sworn there was a thread for this.

Still intrigued, though not optimistic.

Yes to more Wing Commander-esque stuff, no to more Freelancer-esque stuff. We'll see. Since he was long gone before Freelancer came out, it's quite possible he wasn't responsible for any of the ickyness it did (mouse control only? Puh-leeeeze.). The time is long past for a great space sim though. Nothing has been a classic since Freespace 2, although we've had a steady drip feed of passable Eastern European efforts of replicating whatever it was that made TIE Fighter so amazing.

I just want TIE Fighter.

I'm really only interested in space sims if I can plunge into the atmosphere from space and then race around at 5000 km/h. Something like FFE driven by Space Engine.

It's a neat pre rendered video and I am certainly interested in the return of space flight "sim" titles. However there's no gameplay or really anything substantial in the launch trailer.

It's not prerendered! I just watched Chris demo the game live, in person and everything. You should be able to watch it at the livestream link, I think. It's still in an early state, so watching Chris play it is not as slick as the trailer. But I'm impressed.

Yeah, the livestream link is repeating now and that's not at all prerendered. This game looks amazing. I just gave him $125. That's more than I've spent in one time on a luxury item since I built my computer years ago. Everything about this makes me happy.

I stand corrected! Makes me wish I still had a flight stick laying around somewhere. Here's to the resurgence of a desk full of stuff!

So here's the recording: http://www.gamespot....c_panel20121010

All I can say is "Ooooohhhh" I'm interested in a damned MMO! I had huge grin on my face watching the trailer. And then watching the talk, and all those panels swing forward in the cockpit gave me another huge grin.

It's kind of like the game I've been waiting for since Tie Fighter. Definitely happy to see where this is going.

Edit- AAAAND Here's the pledge site: robertsspaceindustries.com

Already in for $30.

Motherfucking pledged. I had a similarly huge grin on my face watching the trailer.

New space sims always look so damn impressive. They're like visions of the future of fidelity in video games. In 2 years from now, the next gen consoles will be out; it'll be interesting to see how our perception of that visual fidelity will have changed once again.

Wait, hold on a second, people don't like Freelancer?

Wait, hold on a second, people don't like Freelancer?

I thought it was fun, but it didn't measure up to the ambitious stuff Roberts was saying at the outset, which tarnished the game a bit (possibly to an unfair degree).

I just gave him $125.
Motherfucking pledged.

What the fuck are you people talking about?

Weird, man. I thought that this link was somewhere in this thread at some point: http://starcitizen.r...industries.com/

Moments after I made my first post in this thread, I had a horrible sense of deja vu. Is there another thread about this topic or something?

I thought it was fun, but it didn't measure up to the ambitious stuff Roberts was saying at the outset, which tarnished the game a bit (possibly to an unfair degree).

Yeah I think that covers it pretty handily. I actually thought that freelancer was a decent game. It just wasn't the game they where talking about that got everyone so excited. I think the biggest mistake in freelancer was the mouse only controls. I think it's a cool option to up accessibility but stick jockying is really half the fun of these space flight sim games...

I guess i was never really all that into sticks, i dumped mine as soon as games allowed me to, and i never liked using one in Mechwarrior or Tie Fighter or anything. (Mechwarrior 3 was actually better played with a mouse, and it made people freak out so much that mouse control was seriously impaired for MW4.)

At the time, it seemed crazy to me that people were dismissing Freelancer out of hand because of its weird mouse control scheme, and i guess as time went on, it seemed like retrospect had vindicated that game.

But no, apparently people still hate Freelancer.

So I'm surprised.

(I think Freelancer is awesome.)

I don't think you're alone. I put many, many hours into Freelancer and I remember it as an awesome game. And I just remembered something that needs to go here.

I dug pretty deeply into freelancer as well but I never stopped yearning for flight controls. I've never come across a crowd that was particularly warm to freelancer. I seem to like it more then most people and I'm not exactly a rabid fan.

Most of the people i've talked to about it always seemed to remember it fondly.

Different internet circles, i guess.