Erkki

FTL

I believe that crew name generator was populated with kickstarter backers. 

Makes sense; I'm pretty sure I've come across some other weirdly specific names.

My initial thought was that it used frequently chosen custom names. But maybe that's giving too much credit to people's affinity for Mr. Breckon.

I went to a panel at PAX East about narrative design and one of the panel members (I forget who) brought up FTL and came up with an idea for a random event where you find a log of some kind that describes the fate of your last crew in horrific detail.  My crews have been put through some pretty terrible deaths.  Damn Mantises...

I went to a panel at PAX East about narrative design and one of the panel members (I forget who) brought up FTL and came up with an idea for a random event where you find a log of some kind that describes the fate of your last crew in horrific detail.  My crews have been put through some pretty terrible deaths.  Damn Mantises...

That is such an awesome idea. 

I just started playing this after buying it in the Steam sale and i'm instantly in love with it, what a great game. There's just so many really, really cool systems in here. I mean, and just my absolutely favorite thing about what it's doing is that it can turn a situation with absolutely no enemies into this complex, interesting tactical scenario. Say your ship is on fire and venting atmosphere, multiple key systems have failed. Who do you need to send where, and in what order, to fix it? What other science fiction game has ever presented that staple sci-fi scenario emergently as part of its typical gameplay flow? God damn, it's so cool!

Unlocking some of the alternate configurations and extra ships is proving fairly trying, i will say. I also wish there was a little more variety to the events that can pop up, i've seen a whole lot of repeats.

Also, i had Nick Breckon show up on one of my ships, heh.

The way all nick beckons die, left alone in an oxygenless room.

Breckon first released the oxygen from all rooms except his to kill his coworkers, then discovered he had no way to recover it and launched himself out of an airlock. His last words before being sucked into the void: "Congrats Nick Breeeeeee--"

Okay that's very rad. I was going to be skeptical of new things to buy further cluttering the stores, but they're allowing stores to sell more than 3 of each item type now. Amazing. I must have this.

The thing about being able to save sets of crew positions so you can restore your guys to their stations with a single hotkey is a detail i find far more thrilling than i probably should.

I actually just started playing again last week, so I'm more than ready for all this cool free stuff. excited for the ipad version too!

The thing about being able to save sets of crew positions so you can restore your guys to their stations with a single hotkey is a detail i find far more thrilling than i probably should.

Yeah, this was something that seemed so obvious, such a frustrating little UI quibble. Then again, I guess there was something to memorizing which post each of your crew members was responsible for, made you connect with them a little more so that when someone died putting out a fire or whatever you might think "fuck, not the pilot!"

Meh, forget that though, I'm lazy.

The Advanced edition is expected to come out soonish!  Like "early 2014"!

I like some of the additions they've revealed.  At least some of them (particularly the new race) seem to specifically combat an over reliance on boarding parties for combat.  I know that's the way that I got through every Normal campaign I played. 

This game! With my other half working on New Years Day, I sat down to this with a bottle of beer. A thoroughly enjoyable way to have my ass handed to me repeatedly for 5 hours. I've just read through this entire thread laughing. Comedy gold flows from the logic and the game's utter indifference (I particularly enjoyed the Zoltan-power pee story).

I reached the Last Stand yesterday and punched the air when I took the boss down!... then WTFed when the bastard FTLed away and got his drone on for the second phase. I'm sticking to the Kestrel, though I just unlocked layout B which gives more (and varied) crew to start and more hull doors to help fight fires. Some insane philanthropy on my part has rewarded me with an Engi Med Thingy that slowly heals my crew regardless of where they are in the ship.

I name my starting crew Wesley, Worf and LaForge. Always. It's the only way I can remember who mans what station without hovering over the names. Also I renamed my Mantis 'Burns', just because it suited. He's my away team redshirt. Red with the blood of pirates.

My playtime is really creeping up, unsociably so. I'm thinking about it on the commute. A 3DS version would end me.

I name my starting crew Wesley, Worf and LaForge. Always. It's the only way I can remember who mans what station without hovering over the names. Also I renamed my Mantis 'Burns', just because it suited. He's my away team redshirt. Red with the blood of pirates.

Brilliant!