Erkki

FTL

Just realized there wasn't a thread for this game and it was occupying the Roguelike(-likes) thread.

Anyway, HEEEELP!

Every time I jump to a solar flare, I think I'm so clever for opening all the airlocks to empty rooms and drain all the oxygen. It seems like every single time I do this, the very next thing that happens is my doors and oxygen systems go down. :(

One of the best games of the year, and surprisingly in-depth for what it is. I heard of people completing it in less than 6 hours and was worried it would be a bit lightweight, but not at all.

Anyway, HEEEELP!

Will it still let you jump with the doors open? You might get lucky with your destination and a new crewmember with some actual health, or maybe you could have two guys lose their lives fixing the doors simultaneously, but I don't think there's a happy ending unless I'm missing something.

YESSS, I just beat the rebel cruiser for the first time. Yes, it was on easy, but it was still a remarkably epic fight. After getting my ass kicked three times I changed my weapons load-out (mostly based on luck of course, you never know what you'll get, but I did make some informed decisions) and in the end I tackled it with the standard Kestrel weapons (Artemis missiles and Burst Laser II) augmented with the powerful Halberd Beam and the Ion Bomb weapon. Especially that last one proved invaluable in getting past those damned four shields. The three times I tried it with missiles I couldn't even scratch the thing, the missiles all missed no matter what I did. Bombs seem more reliable.

I had two drones in place to aid me; Defense I and Beam I, and I also had a cloak which was useful. Absolutely indispensible for maintaining order on my own ship were a few extra hands to shove around, and above all a ROCK GUY to help with the fires. Without my rock guy things would've been much harder.

I shudder to think how this encounter will go on normal mode, when I have had much less scrap to spend, and therefore a less decked out ship, and facing a harder enemy... gulp. I'm super excited about the Federation Cruiser I just unlocked though. It has a SPECIAL BEAM! I can't breathe!

Will it still let you jump with the doors open? You might get lucky with your destination and a new crewmember with some actual health, or maybe you could have two guys lose their lives fixing the doors simultaneously, but I don't think there's a happy ending unless I'm missing something.

I tried that. Eventually this happened (for some reason can't post steam images in this forum (you're not allowed to use this image extension blabla))

I really, really like FTL, but I wish there was a room to train my guys for onboard fights, because 90%I lost, it was at the hands of boarders in the middle of a civilian system. That seemed unfair.

I must admit that I felt awesome the few times I managed to fight them off, repair my ship engulfed in flame to finally smithe them to oblivion (after, of course, ignoring their bargain, the bastards); but otherwise, it really felt random.

I haven't won a single time on Easy yet, but that's fine: a vast majority of the time, the failures are coherent narratives and experience on their own.

my GOTY so far. I've beaten the game several times now but I still come back, I want to unlock all the ship layouts and discover all the little hidden gems...just last night I found a new crew member race with a special power. Amazing game.

Boarding parties are pretty easy to deal with. The only time I really had a problem was with the boarding drones. All the other times there are two strategies that work almost always: either open the airlocks and suffocate them, or open the airlocks to lure them to your team waiting in the med bay where they're constantly healed.

After my earlier succes with a super balanced loud-out, my hands are itching to specialize. My first new build will be with the Engi Torus to create (and probably die trying) an ion cannon powerhouse with drones.

Upgrade your doors as well. They take much longer to break through, and they have some extra power levels to help them not get knocked out in a battle.

Boarding parties are pretty easy to deal with. The only time I really had a problem was with the boarding drones. All the other times there are two strategies that work almost always: either open the airlocks and suffocate them, or open the airlocks to lure them to your team waiting in the med bay where they're constantly healed.

After my earlier succes with a super balanced loud-out, my hands are itching to specialize. My first new build will be with the Engi Torus to create (and probably die trying) an ion cannon powerhouse with drones.

I've reached the boss with my Engi. Two attack drones and one defence plus the ion weapon you start with. My drones have been tearing most things apart but are less effective against four-shielded ships. Pro tip, set ion weapon to autofire.

The boss is bullshit. You can't see his power usage even with level three sensors, which leads me to believe that he just cheats anyway. I hit his droid control with a bomb dealing four ion damage and yet he still had the bots left to shoot down my Pegasus missiles. That meant I couldn't penetrate his shields past two, which meant my awesome beam weapon was totally useless and never fired once. My plan was to stock up on missiles and just unleash righteous fury in the final area but as it turned out the boss was totally immune to my setup.

I used to think the stealth ship was awesome but now I think it's totally gimped since it can only support three weapons. I could have pulled it off if I could have found some burst lasers but they never show up. What do show up are droids. Lots and lots of driods.

I hate this game so much. Not since I was seven years old could I not beat a video game on easy mode. Maybe that's because I've never played a space combat/ship management game before. It's an awesome game but seriously it can go to fucking hell.

I wasn't sure I wanted this game until Giant Bomb called it "Oregon Trail in Space".... SOLD!

That's actually one of major criticisms of the game; it's too much like Organ Trail in the sense that you can enter a new area and based purely on die rolls someone gets measles/flies out the window.

I'm in the middle of the most interesting run of this that I've had so far. There were a number of occasions where I should have given up and restarted, such as when I lost 2 of my starting 3 crew members before reaching sector 2(a human to giant spiders and an engie to boarders), or when I was down to one fuel with no store in sight while passing through a nebula. For whatever reason, today, I pushed on. And look at me now. I'm just about to fight the boss for the first time, wish me luck.

Edit: Ok, I beat his first stage without taking too much damage, but I was not prepared for the number of drones stage 2 has. I suppose a comeback that crazy was not meant to be. Oh, and this was on normal difficulty with the Torus ship

Captain Turing is a lone space cowboy. He never said no to a possibility to explore and lost his crew thanks to that. However, with 2 ion weapons + the default laser, his ship has won fights easily. He was just boarded in a nebula, but thanks to level 3 blast doors and good oxygen supply, he got rid of the intruders easily.

On my first play through, remo immediately boarded my ship and destroyed my shields, really crippling me in the battle that ensued.

I'm reading that as a sexy metaphor brannigan.

Feste, the game is a roguelike ( in spirit and gameplay, if not in setting). It's intention was never to let you win, just toy with your emotions until you die horribly cursing it's name.

YESSS, I just beat the rebel cruiser for the first time. Yes, it was on easy, but it was still a remarkably epic fight. After getting my ass kicked three times I changed my weapons load-out (mostly based on luck of course, you never know what you'll get, but I did make some informed decisions) and in the end I tackled it with the standard Kestrel weapons (Artemis missiles and Burst Laser II) augmented with the powerful Halberd Beam and the Ion Bomb weapon. Especially that last one proved invaluable in getting past those damned four shields. The three times I tried it with missiles I couldn't even scratch the thing, the missiles all missed no matter what I did. Bombs seem more reliable.

Hot tip: if you can destroy their helm, the ship is unable to dodge until it's repaired.

I remember Tom Chick complaining a few days ago that the combat in this game was boring, since there's no reason to target anything but weapons or maybe shields. I thought the same for my first half-dozen games, but now I see the depth there. I'll target the O2 room with breach missiles to suffocate the ship, target the helm to keep them from dodging or jumping, target the medbay before I send a boarding party over... Yeah, I'm really taken with this too.

Man, that's devious! Whose toying with who now? I want to go to there too. Targeting helms and such. Mmmm.

Amazingly captain Turing made it to the last sector (but didn't pursue the boss). He was alone for most of the game, but found some crew near the end. The ion weapons were mostly useless against the more powerful rebel ships at the final sector.

Played an engi game using mainly drones. I'm not sure how drones are viable without the recovery augmentation that essentially makes them free. Fell at the last boss stage because my paltry crew couldn't handle the invasions (and I forgot to flush them out the airlocks in time). Otherwise, A++ would engi again.

Well I've just about gotten bored of it, gets far too repetitive for my tastes. Think I'll download a save to get me those locked ships and give maybe one more run through.

Still, I played for hours and hours and had the most fun I've had with a game in months. There's definitely an entire universe of room for an FTL 2. Other "missions" besides being chased. Going down to planets, being able to customize your crew more, making the ship to ship combat more interesting, bigger ships with customized room layouts. There's just a world of things that COULD be fun. So I'm definitely there if and whenever the sequel hits.

Played an engi game using mainly drones. I'm not sure how drones are viable without the recovery augmentation that essentially makes them free. Fell at the last boss stage because my paltry crew couldn't handle the invasions (and I forgot to flush them out the airlocks in time). Otherwise, A++ would engi again.

You should try the Layout B for Engi. One Engi alone in a ship with no sensors, one boarding drone, and two repair drones. It smacks of drone hard-more, as if that weren't already a tautology.