TychoCelchuuu

Project Eternity, Obsidian's Isometric Fantasy RPG

What's a good source to get Mask of the Betrayer? It does not appear to be on Steam or GOG, my usual stops.

Atari's a little suspicious of digital distribution, I hear. You might be even further up the creek, since the whole NWN2 package doesn't appear to play too nice with Windows 7.

I haven't played any non-sequel Obsidian games. Actually, I've only played KOTOR2 and New Vegas. As for the thing they're going to create, I've only played Baldur's Gate 1 and 2. I haven't even played Planescape or Icewind Dale (I do have copies of the games though). Either way, I backed the project, I would like a new game like BG.

$820.000+ already so it's looking very good.

What's a good source to get Mask of the Betrayer? It does not appear to be on Steam or GOG, my usual stops.

Weird. The NWN2 Platinum collection was available on Steam for at least a little while, being that I own it.

Your best bet is probably Amazon.

the complete nwn thing is still on gamersgate. http://www.gamersgat...nights-complete

really annoying with the rights crap. games going up and down on the different sites. it's probably because atari isn't publishing those anymore or something. wizards of the coast is listed as publisher on gamersgate. wonder if mysteries of westgate isn't available anywhere anymore because of this? can't find it.

edit: or actually, http://www.gamersgat...ies-of-westgate

didn't show up on the search. atari still listed there

Here's an interview with Josh Sawyer talking about the world http://www.gamereactor.eu/grtv/?id=215404

Wow, great interview!  I could watch Sawyer talk forever; he gives so much consideration to his story and how it comes across in gameplay.  Anyone eavesdropping on that interview probably thought his description of how souls work to be bizarre.

Compare that to souls in the Elder Scrolls games.  When playing Oblivion, the final part of one of my major sidequests had my mentor end his own life to trap his soul in a gem to protect me.  Mechanically, his sacrifice didn't do anything except unlock a battle with an evil necromancer.

I then killed the necromancer with an item that trapped his soul in another gem—what did it mean to have the soul of an important character in my inventory?

Apparently it meant nothing—it was just another way to recharge magical items.  Soul power is only specific when the plot needs it to be.

It seems like soul power will have similar abilities in Pillars of Eternity, but there will definitely be more going on.  I'm excited to roleplay in this game!

"Firing, or letting people go, is just horrible. You talk to anyone in this business, it's just... it's just bad."

Really? Really? Because it seems like most of the industry is pretty comfortable with just firing a whole bunch of staff. I mean, if it was really horrible you'd expect that studios would be agitating for a different way of doing things but it really doesn't seem like they do!

guys

guys

you know that other industries have solved the problem of overly ruthless working conditions

you'll never guess what they did

you'll never guess what they did

Did they fire people before the ruthless working conditions began?

The 2nd part of the docu is on YT now

The rest of them are backers only I think but they'll hopefully do the same thing Double Fine did and release them later.

Also backer keys for Steam and GOG are available on http://eternity.obsidian.net/, I got no email notification.

Game is out in about 19 hours!

I somehow didn't register this existing until a few days ago and holy fuck I'm excited for this. I never got to play those golden age isometric PC RPGs in their heyday and have had a lot of various troubles trying them in recent years.

I guess I'll throw them my money when I get home tonight so I can get whatever those bonus items are, and also because I want Obsidian to have money of mine.

HYPE!

I wasn't really keen after the kind of sloppy offering of Wasteland 2, but the giantbomb quicklook sold me.

I wasn't really keen after the kind of sloppy offering of Wasteland 2, but the giantbomb quicklook sold me.

inXile did Wasteland 2, they're the ones developing Torment: Tides of Numenera. Obsidian only kickstarted this one I think.

inXile did Wasteland 2, they're the ones developing Torment: Tides of Numenera. Obsidian only kickstarted this one I think.

I understand the distinction but they did share tools and resources and I don't know, it was sad to see a crpg I was hyped about come out on shakey feet. I am very excited for Project Eternity, Baldur's Gate 1 is like my nostalgia game. 

My mom picked it up while working at a kmart in 1998, the box was open so she got a steep discount. I spent months pouring over the tome of a manual obsessed with the new words (THAC0?) and setting until I finally learned how to install it, and of course the first disc was scratched beyond repair.

As a kid would, I wrote a really sincere letter to the company and after months of waiting they finally sent a set of replacement discs in the mail and it was the best damned day, it was like Christmas. The game was hard and rough around the edges and I didn't stick with it until the end, but the burning love I have for that game is intense. So many summer nights spent reading and re-reading that stupid manual.

Insanely excited about it. Despite not barely knowing a thing about the game beyond "effectively a new Infinity Engine-engine based game" as recently as last week.

The plan:

{
  "sex" : "female",
  "race" : {
    "name" : "Godlike",
    "type" : "Elf",
    "subtype" : "Pale",
    "subrace" : "Battle-Forged"
  },
  "class" : "Monk",
  "attributes" : {
    "might" : 13,
    "constitution" : 12,
    "dexterity" : 12,
    "perception" : 12,
    "intellect" : 11,
    "resolve" : 15
  },
  "culture" : "The White that Wends",
  "background" : "Mystic",
  "appearance" : null,
  "portrait" : "http://i.imgur.com/33KjOl7.png", // Selected from http://imgur.com/a/eOhqV
  "voice" : null,
  "name" : "Bravelie"
} 

Yes, I made that in JSON. Yes, I'm quietly thinking about making a web-based character creator. No I'm not a giant nerd. no you shut up

"portrait" : "http://i.imgur.com/33KjOl7.png", // Selected from http://imgur.com/a/eOhqV

Redheads.

Apparently "soul type" will also be something in the game and I wonder if that factors into character creation.  If you're a big-legged woman does that mean you ain't got no soul, as Robert Plant has theorized?

I'm also really excited about it. I backed on the final day of the Kickstarter, watching the last hour or so of the livestream as the timer counted down to zero. I really enjoyed Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, finished 1 with an asymmetric fighter thief, but choked at the end of BH 2 because of the insane magic battle near the end; I never got to grips with the hundreds of spells, not having a manual.

I largely forgot about PoE over the last year or so, ignoring updates to keep things fresh for release, but now I have the game preloaded and am ready to get my party started :D! I'm thinking of going with a monk or cypher, but I'll probably spend ages reading up on the options in character creation first. I may just skip work tomorrow :P

3.5 hours to go, woo! Does anyone know if this is full on party creation like IceWind Dale or is it just your PC like Baldur's Gate? I must admit I kind of forgot about this soon after the kickstarter so I am fairly light on info. 

3.5 hours to go, woo! Does anyone know if this is full on party creation like IceWind Dale or is it just your PC like Baldur's Gate? I must admit I kind of forgot about this soon after the kickstarter so I am fairly light on info. 

There's premade companions with backgrounds and stories that you meet and recruit but you can also find pay to hire adventureres in inns and elsewhere very early on. Hiring them has you create a new character like in IWD, at 1 level lower than your PC.

Unlocked! The menu and music are amazing, the Kickstarter thank-you screen stays up for too long, and bringing up the Options menu shows about two dozen different contexts for auto-pause activation, more than I remember in Baldur's Gate II. That's all I have time to assess right now.