Sno

Borderlands 2

Her Anarchy abilities are completely nuts, just the weirdest playstyle in the game.

Yes, it would be. I think she seems like a pretty fun character.

I guess I'm kinda late to the party on this one but I really love BL2. For all it's problems (which are numerous, often inherited from it's predecessor, and enumerated in this thread pretty thoroughly) I really do think it's one of the best games I've played this year. For it's general pacing issues and a few painfully horrible characters I think borderlands hits a really amazing tone. I don't feel like this game is ever taking itself entirely seriously. In a time when this medium is turning a critical eye on itself and the messages it's content carries I think borderlands is a good example of how to set an acceptable kind of tone for a game where you're just going to shoot EVERYTHING. I really think this might be the best thing about the game in general. It creates a place that really encourages you to joyfully indulge in the carnival of violence they've created. Where none of the ridiculous elements they blend together really feel out of place. Of course this sniper rifle shoots bouncing rockets. Why wouldn't it?

I'm amazed that they've done nothing to address the issue of disparate player levels in multiplayer. Recently I've had a lot of free time on my hands and I promptly sunk 50-60 hours into my assassin and blew passed almost all my friends in level. However we're also in a strange middle ground where I can't start a new character and really play with them either. I don't understand why more games (or any games?) don't implement some kind of "sandbagging" feature. Allowing me to join a friends game at a global penalty to stats and without experience gain or something (probably not an ideal solution but as good a jumping off point for design as any). As time goes on it seems like more and more games are moving to a persistent character model. It makes sense, people attach, it's an easy way to enable (shudder) micro transactions. That persistent avatar generally keeps people coming back. However more and more I find this isolates me in multiplayer or forces me to go WAY out of my way to coordinate with people. I think it's a real pertinent issue in almost all of these multiplayer focused persistent character games and I'm really surprised that none of the big AAA games in this category have addressed it in a significant way (D3, TL2, and BL2 I am lookin at you!).

I don't understand why more games (or any games?) don't implement some kind of "sandbagging" feature. Allowing me to join a friends game at a global penalty to stats and without experience gain or something (probably not an ideal solution but as good a jumping off point for design as any).

Guild Wars 2 does this. Your stats get levelled down, but you can still gain xp (although reduced, but never zero). GW2 nicked the "fight for your life" mechanic from BL incidentally. Seems like turnabout would be fair play for a BL3.

ugh... annoying clipping issues. Had to drop out 3 times today. I got stuck twice, and once a quest pickup dropped below some structure. And what's the dead with water, sometimes its deadly, and other times its not?

ugh... annoying clipping issues. Had to drop out 3 times today. I got stuck twice, and once a quest pickup dropped below some structure. And what's the dead with water, sometimes its deadly, and other times its not?

Seems like water is deadly when it's a) freezing cold or b ) at the edge of a map. Otherwise, it tends to be below waist height and not deadly at all. Not very well signaled either way.

Does cold water damage you or just kill you outright? I remember taking damage from water that was not some kind of element type I just thought it was water...

Damage. Not enough to cause problems if you're bouncing around on a shortcut but if you're marooned and need a ladder to get out then it means trouble.

I do the same. In fact, I hit around lvl 10 and have stopped playing due to having no one to play with. In games like this it feels especially pointless to play it on my own, for some reason, because I realize I would have more fun playing with friends.

I agree, though I think that says something about how much I like the gameplay.

The experience of driving around the wastes shooting stuff with your friends or assaulting a base and shooting stuff with your friends is pretty great. The numbers are big and flashy and funny and there's blood everywhere and literally everybody is psychotic. It's, first and foremost, a first person shooter. Enemies run at you and shoot at you. You shoot at enemies, a lot.

The thing that bugs me about this game is that the RPG mechanics and loot system seem to come down to "shoot better" or "shoot faster." The skill trees don't change much mechanically, but they do tweak a lot of numbers. The ratio of time spent on loot/rpg stuff to shooting seems way off. The RPG system also ruins the game because it makes playing with friends of disparate levels just not fun at all.

Really the thing about this game is that a slice of it at any given time feels like any other slice of it. Playing with other people keeps it interesting, but for me personally there isn't enough depth to warrant going back to the grind.

I don't know, I played borderlands 1 completely alone. And so far I've played borderlands 2 mostly alone. I had a small coop session with 8bit last saturday, and I'm not completely sold on the coop gameplay yet. Story wise, it's really weird to play with another guy that's also the only one that can save the planet...

Except that 'saving the planet' is such a tired and uninspiring premise at this point that there's hardly any immersion to ruin by having friends play with you. (at least for me)

The story is strangely inconsistent the entire time. You'll notice that different characters say "Vault Hunter" and others say "Vault Hunters". I honestly don't think it's important at all. BL is IMO ridiculous enough that I totally agree with me (I want to use just that part of your username, it makes me feel nice and crazy!). There's really not much of dramatic substance to ruin. The windows of time when it decides to employ serious drama are really quite short and are generally presented fairly surprisingly. I think they still function with 3 players over voice chat telling jokes. The "overall" structure of the larger plot is total shake and bake writing meant to hold their ridiculous elements together into some kind of cohesive overall goal.

I think anything you might lose in immersion (which is IMO really nothing) is totally made up for by the fact that it feels like it really "fulfills" the game mechanics to have another player there. If there was ever a game in need of level gap neutralization this is it!

Friggin damn loop midgets. I found 3 of them within 5 lootchests. Now I'm constantly backing up when opening a chest.

Sadly Borderlands 2 is just like the previous game, not suitable for a quick game. Wanted to do a quick 45 minute session, but ended up playing close to 1.5 hour to finish the mission.

Friggin damn loop midgets. I found 3 of them within 5 lootchests. Now I'm constantly backing up when opening a chest.

Sadly Borderlands 2 is just like the previous game, not suitable for a quick game. Wanted to do a quick 45 minute session, but ended up playing close to 1.5 hour to finish the mission.

True, the save system is awful. Doesn't even use the checkpoints you encounter. Just reboots you to the geographical start of the mission while keeping the chronological status. Weird.

So i guess the first major DLC went up, apparently it's very nice and quite long.

I'm feeling rather indifferent about it though, i think it's too soon for that kind of add-on when most people are still going through the main game.

So i guess the first major DLC went up, apparently it's very nice and quite long.

I'm feeling rather indifferent about it though, i think it's too soon for that kind of add-on when most people are still going through the main game.

Yeah, I've been playing some XCOM recently. Every intention to go back to Borderlands 2 (and I actually will go back, it's not just talk) but work is manic and gaming time has to be rationed out.

Still, I may get the Season Pass yet. I loved the first one to bits and I'm having a ball with this one.

Water is broken. You can't electrocute people who are in the water :/

Just started playing this game, anyone still playing this?

Bought the Psycho pack and so far i'm having a blast!

I just started playing it a few weeks ago. Only level 14 with my Siren, I'd love to team up. Steam is robolove.

I just started playing it a few weeks ago. Only level 14 with my Siren, I'd love to team up. Steam is robolove.

Would be awesome, but i'm playing it on the ps3  :wacko:

I got it in a recent sale and while I'm loving it... a part of my brain is scream "Just end already!".

I used to think how horrible it is to quit a game that isn't bad, just too long. But playing a great game that is too long is almost worse, because I want to continue and it just never ever ends..

But I must say, this is funniest game I've played in ages, even when I think I see something coming it's still funny. Also Tiny Tina is the funniest character ever, I only wish I could finish the main game so I could play the DLC already!

I bought the two DLC characters now that they're on sale. I already had the base game and the season pass, though I'm still working on finishing them with my first character (level 31 Siren) so I don't know why I bought more characters. Still, love this game and can't quite put my finger on why.

I've played through the game on the 360, but i picked up the PC version and its season pass through the Steam sale. (I never bought any of the dlc for the 360 version.)

Gearbox did a really nice job with the PC version, all the dumb physx stuff amuses me more than it should.

Still, love this game and can't quite put my finger on why.

Because it has sugar and spice and everything nice.