Sign in to follow this  
ThunderPeel2001

Old Amiga Kickstarter: Wings

This is another one of those Kickstarters that I'd actually like to see happen, but it clearly won't. I think maybe they should have focussed on updating the game, rather than just the graphics. Either way, with 65 hours to go, they ain't gonna make it :(

Anyone remember the Amiga original with any fondness?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/850516062/wings-directors-cut

216709ceffd2906fd97cad9697965258_large.jpg?1346626440

01745885715b29cadfb3714e757e7a20_large.jpg?1346626522

Oh my fucking God, I loved Wings on the Amiga!

edit: Wow, it's fun to be reminded of how sweet Wings was, but looking at this project, I'm not surprised they're not getting 350 thousand dollars. Also, I prefer old men in my kickstarter videos.

Well apparently they had real difficulty getting any attention in the press, so that's partially why they're doing so badly. I should have posted this link sooner and helped out a bit! Oop :-/

Yeah, it's weird that I don't get wind of each and every new video game Kickstarter project that pops up. Is there a thing I can subscribe to?

Maybe someone could start a "Fresh Kickstarter Compendium Extraordinaire" thread where people can just post Kickstarters they like the look of?

Filled with things like:

WINGS: DIRECTOR'S CUT

By: Cinemaware

About: A HD reboot of the classic Amiga game.

Why You Should Care: Because Wings was generally seen as Cinemaware's most successful game and it'd be really cool to have a HD version of it.

Link: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/850516062/wings-directors-cut

Well apparently they had real difficulty getting any attention in the press, so that's partially why they're doing so badly.

Maybe people saw "Wings: Director's Cut" and avoided it because they thought it was about the sitcom.

post-8283-0-84352800-1347132180.jpg

Maybe someone could start a "Fresh Kickstarter Compendium Extraordinaire" thread where people can just post Kickstarters they like the look of?

Filled with things like:

WINGS: DIRECTOR'S CUT

By: Cinemaware

about: A HD reboot of the classic Amiga game.

Why You Should Care: Because Wings was generally seen as Cinemaware's most successful game and it'd be really cool to have a HD version of it.

Link: http://www.kickstart...s-directors-cut

I think this is a debate going on elsewhere and the majority seems to be on the side of individual threads iirc.

Love airbrushed Tony Shaloub on that boxset cover!

A remake of Wings would have been sweet but the Cinemaware game I really want to see a remake of is It Came From The Desert, so much potential there.

yes!

216709ceffd2906fd97cad9697965258_large.jpg?1346626440

My word! I must have spent at least a week of my life playing that when I was a kid, and forgot it until now. In my memory, it is excellent. I hope it's not another of those designs which was good at the time, but now feels hopelessly dated and aggravatingly shit. Pity they didn't make their funding goal, but that seems like a pretty high one for something so niche.

... I now really want to see a 16bit adventure game of the television show Wings, is that wrong?

Also, where the hell is Lowl on that cover?

I would love a HD version of Wings. By that I mean this game:

mudworld.gif

The creator of the game did make a sequel to Wings, it is freeware these days. The guy that created that game (Miika Virpioja) is working in Rovio at the moment by the way and is the lead in the Bad Piggies project.

http://www.wings2.net/

I really was interested in this project, but it was doomed to fail from the start. Cinemaware as a company doesn't exist in the way it used to. This is the third coming for the company, the original went bankcrupt and the during the second time they made a Defender of the Crown sequel and produced three GBA remakes that were Defender of the Crown, Wings and Three Stooges. The company stopped existing after that and was sold to some other party.

The GBA games were made by an Italian company that would've also made this Wings remake that was in this Kickstarter. So Cinemaware themselves were just creating the concept and they pushed the actual development to some third party company that has never really made any great games.

Yep. Don't forget that Canadian company ClickBOOM was also involved in making HD remakes of their old games for the PC at one point, too...

screen3.jpg

Until they didn't sell well and Cinemaware stopped paying them. And then ClickBOOM sued...

Oh crikey, this new iteration of Cinemaware made this trailer for their "Summer 2012"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fWp_3V9RaQ

The informative bits of that was really interesting like a mini documentary, the rest was really weird.... I don't know what they were going for there. It was more like a bet on what ridiculous things they could get the pretty girl to do while she poorly acts her little heart out.

If it's one think kickstarters and kickstarter related projects have been teaching me is that old school devleopers and companies really are out of touch with modern marketing and their audiences.

Oh yeah, one major problem with both their Kickstarter video and also this Summer of games video is this blonde b-movie & tv show actress Sasha Jackson who only got the part because some guy at Cinemaware kind of knew her. I think her resume so far was pretty much appearing in bikini in some crappy movies and tv shows. Her resume has for example recently being a "girl at gym" in an uncredited tv show appearance.

I really don't get why they were counting on her sex appeal and acting in front of awkward situations in front of a green screen. That only hurt the project.

Hmm. I think it's going nothing to do with her. She does a perfectly acceptable job. The problem is that that was their approach. The whole "Cinemaware TV" and "hot babe" thing.

Almost like GoDaddy or something.

The other problem is what's explained in the video: Cinemaware games were never great gameplay, they were average gameplay with awesome presentation. That no longer flies for modern gaming. All they're trading on is nostalgia

If I were them I'd go after the iPad market or try developing something new already.

I doubt they have any real developers in the company anymore. Based on the fact even this new iteration is trying to outsource all development. I visited their webpages during the Kickstarter project and there was mention about mobile gaming.

This has been "coming soon" for some time now

http://cinemaware.co...of-chicago-ios/

This was apparently released last year already.

http://cinemaware.co...-the-crown-ios/

Both are just emulated Amiga games on iOS. DotC was ported by a company called Manomio.