Sign in to follow this  
Feelings Unicorn

Jonathan Safran Foer and Self-Inserts

Just a quick note on Episode 0 and the thumbs-crew's uneasiness about Jonathan Safran Foer's main character in Everything Is Illuminated having the same name as the author:

That one particular part of it isn't necessarily a cute modern trope like some of his other stylistic flourishes (which I love when they're done well but I agree that sometimes he crosses a line into cloying), but actually comes from his love of Bruno Schulz. Schulz's 1934 book The Street of Crocodiles, which is Foer's favorite book and is unlike anything I've ever read, is a collection of connected short stories starring a character named Bruno Schulz that may be based off of his life or may not be.

You can really get a lot of Foer's DNA out of Schulz, most notably his sense of supernatural wonder surrounding mundane situations. It almost feels like the opposite of magical realism, where fantastical events are treated like they're no big deal.

I really recommend any fan of Foer to read The Street of Crocodiles, or any fan of Kafka or Borges or people who like sometimes impenetrable short fiction. It's absolutely incredible stuff.

SUPER excited about this podcast by the way.

Also related although I am loathe to recommend it seeing as I've learned I have a liking/appreciation/tolerance for gimmickry well beyond most audiences' is JSF's cut-up of The Street of Crocodiles, Tree of Codes.