Sean

Idle Thumbs 73: Pegasus Launch

I'm in the Spy Party beta (and you could be too!), and while I've only played a few games, I can tell you that it's a lot of fun. It's obviously a very assymetric game (sniper vs. spy), but both sides are really well done. When you play as the spy, walking around the party and trying to complete your objectives, you feel totally naked and exposed, and that your every move is being scrutinized. When you play as the sniper, you feel almost overwhelmed at the number of people in the party, and helpless that you can't watch every spot in the room at the same time. It's remarkably tense and a lot of fun.

I'm the developer of Hidden in Plain Sight, which I was happily surprised to hear mentioned on the show. While Spy Party is a deeply intense single-player experience (that is, you're probably playing alone in your room with a single online opponent), HIPS is more like a party game, with up to four players in the same room. It shares the concept of using tension to create a fun play experience, but it's a lot more light-hearted and jovial, with lots of laughter and shouting at the end of every round. If you are lucky enough to get together with friends to play games, you might consider giving it a try.

It will also be on display as an IndieCade 2012 finalist, so if you're in the area and want to check it out, it will be there.

I'm the developer of Hidden in Plain Sight, which I was happily surprised to hear mentioned on the show. While Spy Party is a deeply intense single-player experience (that is, you're probably playing alone in your room with a single online opponent), HIPS is more like a party game, with up to four players in the same room. It shares the concept of using tension to create a fun play experience, but it's a lot more light-hearted and jovial, with lots of laughter and shouting at the end of every round. If you are lucky enough to get together with friends to play games, you might consider giving it a try.

I'm going to try it out, I heard of it on the show and didn't note the name so I'm happy you posted!

Man, I have pretty great friends. I was unable to go to PAX this year due to circumstances, but my buddy surprised me today with a Walking Dead poster signed by the team from the Telltale panel. Seems like as good a place to post my happiness at this as any. He mentioned that Vanaman looked particularly embarrassed to be signing his name as "Famous" in front of everyone, so thanks in particular to Sean for doing so despite awkwardness. I may not have been able to attend, but due to a rad buddy I at least have some swag signed by Video Games, Famous, and the former EIC of PC Gamer (weird to realize that I was a subscriber back when he was running the show and that's still how he registers in my mind despite all the stuff he's done since). Hopefully I get another chance to make it down in person. I was at the 2010 meetup, but from the sounds of things this one was pretty fantastic. At any rate, thanks for signing a thing for me, guys!

Man, I have pretty great friends. I was unable to go to PAX this year due to circumstances, but my buddy surprised me today with a Walking Dead poster signed by the team from the Telltale panel. Seems like as good a place to post my happiness at this as any. He mentioned that Vanaman looked particularly embarrassed to be signing his name as "Famous" in front of everyone, so thanks in particular to Sean for doing so despite awkwardness. I may not have been able to attend, but due to a rad buddy I at least have some swag signed by Video Games, Famous, and the former EIC of PC Gamer (weird to realize that I was a subscriber back when he was running the show and that's still how he registers in my mind despite all the stuff he's done since). Hopefully I get another chance to make it down in person. I was at the 2010 meetup, but from the sounds of things this one was pretty fantastic. At any rate, thanks for signing a thing for me, guys!

For sure! Would've made it out to Subbes had I known.

For sure! Would've made it out to Subbes had I known.

That's nice, but I don't understand it at all.

(CONFUSED.)

That's nice, but I don't understand it at all.

(CONFUSED.)

ha, wow -- late night forums'ing got subbes/miffy confused in my head. WOOPS.

Ha! :D

Just to make it clear for Twig: I'm not miffy.

• Miffy is a Canadian gentleman who will be a teacher soon.
  • I'm the wife of shammack, who became one of Sean's (well, OK, TTG's) layout artists in July. I'm also quite good at saying things completely wrongly and making a mess of things!

(P.S. shammack thought you were hinting at the SHOCKING TRUTH - that I'd secretly married miffy. GASP.)

Just to make it clear for Twig: I'm not miffy.

I dunno, Sean was pretty convincing...

I'm the developer of Hidden in Plain Sight,

Okay I finally got a friend over and we managed to sit down and play this. We spent several hours laughing ridiculously. Several cool game scenarios about not knowing who your real opponent is. You basically have a screen full of characters, and one is you, most of the others are NPCs and another is your opponent (up to 4 players local coop). Some modes have a sniper team and a thief/assassin team, which was great.

The best video game stories from this were in Assassin mode, where one team is assassins and one team is snipers. Snipers have 3 bullets, assassins kill as many targets as possible without getting caught. The sniper can only see who has been killed if he scopes over them, in a fog of war type effect, but gets a sound cue when someone has been assassinated. So my friend was doing great, but I had an idea who the target was, so I'm following the target with my eyes, but not my scope (he can see the scope). I hear a knife thrust and so I move my scope over to the primary suspect and he crumbles, dead on the ground. Now this blew my mind as I was sure he was my opponent, but as I looked around I notice the guy who I expected to be the victim slowly edging away... a quick snipe revealed him to be in fact the assassin. Lucky for me, not so much for him.

Also since it's all on one screen, the first thing the assassin has to do is identify who he is without giving himself away, this leads to the most hilarious give-aways as one character on screen is walking straight into the wall, in a very nonchalant attempt to be subtle and not stand out.