Tanukitsune

Quitter's Club: Don't be ashamed to quit the game.

You're right, there aren't dead ends, it's just that no walkthroughs tell you what to do when you're in my situation, fortunately, the Steam forums told me what to do.

I hope the next chapter is better.

Unless someone wants to convince me I'm making a huge mistake I think I'm binning Oracle of Ages. I've put 15 hours in and cleared 5 dungeons - if it were a normal game I'd probably push through but the prospect of having to play Oracle of Seasons after it to see the proper ending is too much. I like the dungeons, I just hate the overworld bits so much.

Does Seasons do the time travel gimmick too? Not a fan of that in games either.

It's also a fairly different style of Zelda; Ages is much more late Zelda puzzle dungeon/fiddly overworld unlocking, while Seasons is closer to the early Zelda exploration overworld/actiony dungeon.

I'm calling it quits on Watch_Dogs 2. Running around virtual San Francisco is kind of fun, but I can't wrap my head around how you're supposed to get into some of the places the game wants you to go in missions without just rolling in and blasting everyone, and that just doesn't interest me in a game where I'm a supercool hacker. The driving also feels really bad if you're trying to go faster than 25 MPH.

Edit: It strikes me now that what I really want is something like this game, but closer to Mass Effect or LA Noire, where any violence is limited to very specific sequences and you spend most of the rest of your time traversing the world and talking to people. This might be from shotgunning all of Mr. Robot season 1 over the past week, which I strongly recommend over playing this game.

Thinking of quitting on Shadowrun. Its the first game playing the game, and it was fun at the start but its just become tedious and slow. I didn't mind reading at the start but now I can't be bothered. Because of the steam curse I already bought Dragonfall and Hong Kong too... but maybe I will enjoy them more. I just reached the Brotherhood so I am quite far into the game, so maybe I should just stick with it.

On 2/18/2017 at 3:39 PM, Mike Danger said:

I'm calling it quits on Watch_Dogs 2. Running around virtual San Francisco is kind of fun, but I can't wrap my head around how you're supposed to get into some of the places the game wants you to go in missions without just rolling in and blasting everyone, and that just doesn't interest me in a game where I'm a supercool hacker. The driving also feels really bad if you're trying to go faster than 25 MPH.

Edit: It strikes me now that what I really want is something like this game, but closer to Mass Effect or LA Noire, where any violence is limited to very specific sequences and you spend most of the rest of your time traversing the world and talking to people. This might be from shotgunning all of Mr. Robot season 1 over the past week, which I strongly recommend over playing this game.

That's exactly what Watch Dogs should be. You don't have access to weapons, or if so very limited. You should use the environment your hacking and investigative skills to get through each mission.

I found the thing where if one enemy spots you then the entire area lights up and every single person knows your exact location ridiculous and not fun at all. Its so video gamey, I don't know why games have this mechanic.  

The Shadowrun games improve with each iteration IMO. The first one is more of a proof of concept than anything, though it's a good one. I played the first one so long ago I don't remember exactly which quibbles got fixed with each one though, so ymmv.

I found Metroid Fusion and decided to give it a whirl.

Metroid Fusion is incredibly frustrating because there's the germ of a good game in there with tons of interesting ideas that just don't quite come together. Everyone knows about how heavy-handed the AI guide is and how subverting his control is kinda fun but not as much as just being able to tool around a map and stumble into new areas, and the SAX escape sequences. But it's the little things that get me, like how much the game focuses on ecosystems. There's crawling worms that turn into cocoons part-way through, blocking some passages, that hatch into Kihunters later, and that's very clever but it would have been so much cooler if you weren't forced back into those areas when it was going on. Or how the X parasites have chains of infection targets, and in some rooms you want to pick them up quickly before they power up another enemy, and sometimes you want to leave them alone because they'll eventually infect a critter that drops a full heal - except it's all kind of opaque so it ends up feeling like a bunch of special case stuff rather than you being clever, and the game balance is such that it's not really that useful or important once you start getting some energy cells under your belt.

I can imagine a Metroid game built to rely on ecosystems - they attempted it with Metroid II and it was pretty good, but imagine what they could do with modern game design.

That is also how I generally feel about Metroid Fusion.  The premise give the game a lot of potential to change up the way Metroid plays but they just didn't do it.  Even though I have no love for the genre, there are fleeting moments where Fusion almost turns into a survival horror as the invincible creature that inhabits what was once your greatest weapon now relentlessly hunts you down the second it spots you.  I think it would have been amazing if the SAX was given some freedom and an AI that would actually pursue you through the game, showing up unexpectedly instead of at scripted points.  As it stands it's a bit of a mess with glimpses of interesting stuff buried under a lot of superfluous elements.

I'm about 45 mins into Fusion. I appreciate how they break it up into nice portable chunks with save points, but I haven't touched it for weeks. I want to finish it and Oracle of Ages this weekend on a trip. Both are exercises in box-ticking but I'd like to sign off on 3DS before Switch. Mind you, I still want 3D Picross 2. And Pocket Jockey is damn addictive.

4 hours ago, thenexus6 said:

I found the thing where if one enemy spots you then the entire area lights up and every single person knows your exact location ridiculous and not fun at all. Its so video gamey, I don't know why games have this mechanic.  

This is exactly the point where the game started to lose me. There are some guys that are clearly called out as being able to call reinforcements, but it seems like the instant you lay a finger on any of the other guys, reinforcements end up getting called anyhow.

I quit Wasted after less than an hour with it, which I normally wouldn't even consider worth mentioning, except for the reason I quit.

Wasted is a first person rogeulike set in a post-apocalyptic Fallout-esque world.  You delve into vaults looking for booze, the most valuable commodity in the world, and drinking irradiated booze can give you a variety of permanent bonuses or penalties.  It's a pretty good setup overall for a sci-fi rogeulike. 

The problem I hit is that it has a Spelunky-like ghost.  On each level of a vault, eventually (and it doesn't feel like it takes all that long), an enemy called an S.O.B. will spawn whose only job is to hunt you down and kill you.  I'm sure eventually it's a thing you can handle and murder, but initially if it finds you you're dead.  There's music cues to warn you when it's getting close.  But, after getting killed twice by one, I just ragequit and uninstalled the game.  Because I was so angry about the enemy being present at all.  I had been really enjoying sneaking around the vault, exploring, finding stuff, taking out regular enemies.  But knowing that the way the game is intended to be played is to either try and move to the exit as quickly as possible, and then explore more going backwards until the SOB spawns and gets close to you, then run to the exit.  Or find a cheesy spot where you can camp and murder the SOB on every level, then explore to your heart's content.  And it's just like, both of those options annoy me.  Just let me turn the damn thing off and explore at my own pace. 

Normally things like this don't bother me, I'm of the opinion "It's the devs game, and they can make what they want to make."  And I'm sure there are people who ragequit Spelunky because of the ghost.  But this is the rare time I've ever run into a single mechanic, particularly one intended to create difficulty, that just made me want to tell the game and dev to fuck right off as quickly as this did.

That's your Shantae and the Pirate's Curse fucked off forever. I wasn't having a great time with it anyway (too much combat, which was v.simplistic, and backtracking) but the final gauntlet is such an enormous jump in difficulty that I literally can't do it. Why do it, devs? The rest of the game has a well pitched challenge which elevates steadily, and your skills grow to meet it. And then BAM, difficulty spike from Hell, "let's see how you handle this"

I thought I'd earned the right to see and fight the final boss by playing through the entire rest of the game, but apparently I was mistaken!

It's a vania... backtracking is supposed to be part of the formula? Is this you first Shantae game? I wouldn't say it's the hardest of the series.

On 2/21/2017 at 3:21 AM, osmosisch said:

The Shadowrun games improve with each iteration IMO. The first one is more of a proof of concept than anything, though it's a good one. I played the first one so long ago I don't remember exactly which quibbles got fixed with each one though, so ymmv.

I am both a huge fan of Shadowrun from my tabletop days and a huge fan of turn based strategy, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I liked the first Shadowrun game well enough, but Dragonfall is where it really took off for me. It's also shorter than either the original or Hong Kong, so I think it's worth just dropping the first one wherever you are and starting in on Dragonfall. If you're still not interested by hour two, give the series a pass.

1 hour ago, Tanukitsune said:

It's a vania... backtracking is supposed to be part of the formula? Is this you first Shantae game? I wouldn't say it's the hardest of the series.

I've played many a vania game, but usually they'd be set on a large (or very large) map, with all areas interconnected. This Shantae game is broken up into relatively small islands.

Yeah, I can't think of a single vania game I've played that didn't have any backtracking, but I struggle to think of many where it's as A) transparent (a consequence of largely linear "zones") and B) prevalent. Hell, if you don't have pirate flares, you can't even get back to the boat without running through the same areas you just went through, except right-to-left this time. If I never have to run across Mud Bog island again, it'll be too soon *shudder*

This is my second Shantae game. I thought that Risky's Revenge was a tighter experience, and shorter as well, which helped, although even then I got a bit miffed with backtracking a lot.

I had a similar experience with that Shantae game. I think having discrete levels really disrupts the idea of making it a metroidvania, so it just felt like a game where I had to constantly walk backwards through levels.

Plus I got tired of seeing the same oversexualised female body type everywhere.

I think I have to quit Disgaea 2, I reached a point where I have to grind, the problem is that I'm in an area I can't escape from (Colosseum Depths) and I don't have anywhere to grind?

This sucks because I was enjoying the game, maybe I should just skip to Disgaea 3 and be more careful and keep two saves?

Darksiders Warmastered Edition

Four hours in just beat the first dungeon. I don't know its just not clicking with me. Combat is average, some camera jank. I might give it a little more time.

I felt the same way.  I've tried a couple of times to complete it but just never interested me the same way that Zelda or God of War did.  Ditto for the sequel.

8 hours ago, SecretAsianMan said:

I felt the same way.  I've tried a couple of times to complete it but just never interested me the same way that Zelda or God of War did.  Ditto for the sequel.

I was tempted to Darksiders 2 on sale ready for after I finish the first. But I think I will skip on them both now. That first dungeon didn't really interest me, neither did any of the bosses or enemy encounters.

I also HATE in games where you go into an area, the game stops and the camera pans around finishing on the big shiny door or object you need to get to. Its so video gamey and lame.

I loved both of the Darksiders games for very different reasons as they are different games.

I think you can find most of my thoughts on them back in the Darksiders thread.

Fallout New Vegas

So I bought this on PC a while ago and it would instantly crash when I started. With the recent-ish Windows 10 update I tried again and it works!

Fallout 4 was my first game in the series which I enjoyed for a while but lost interest the more I played, plus I always hear Fallout 3 and NV are great so I was curious. I made it two hours but its just so dated, clunky and I loathe the UI / menus. There are probably some mods to streamline a few of my criticisms but I just can't be bothered. I just think that series isn't for me.

Frog Fractions 2, I guess the whole thing will have to go in a spoiler, so...

Spoiler

The game is just ZZT with BAD minigames, and it's very frustrating, the gems that are needed in ZZT are a hindrance here since there is a gem limit and you can't progress because you can't pick up anymore gems.

Then the game give you a sword that just makes the game even more annoying since you not only have to rotate the sword to attack enemies, you have to move it while walking to make it through some passages.

The minigames you find aren't much better either, one forces you to plug in a mic and scream to move a van.

The last straw was what I assume is the final puzzle, you pick up symbols that you find out much later form part of a language and I just can't be bothered to find the ones I missed.