Tanukitsune

Quitter's Club: Don't be ashamed to quit the game.

On 2016-11-30 at 8:30 AM, sclpls said:

This is a real problem I have with narrative games in general. They are never as user friendly as books.

I found holding down 'w' for 90 minutes straight to be uncomfortable and that took me out of the game. That game barely has any interactive elements, which is fine, but very little interaction you do have isn't at all in service of what they're trying to do in my opinion. And it's not even that I'm against that kind of solitary movement through a space, I must've spent 100 hours just running through Chernarus in DayZ.

On 12/4/2016 at 1:06 AM, twmac said:

I played the first 3 back-to-back. The first is really dull to play, the second is much better, but the third doesn't bring anything new to the table and looked worse in places than 2.

Even though 2 is good, if you are finding the shooting tedious in 1 then don't bother continuing. There is a line about clowns that is awesome but you can just Youtube it instead of playing 20 hours of games that you don't like.

The feel of the shooting improved a ton in Uncharted 2, but I still wouldn't call it great. If you've already got a copy of the collection, I'd suggest you play through the first level and see how you feel. If you'd have to pay for it, I'd say pass.

On 12/4/2016 at 1:06 AM, twmac said:

I played the first 3 back-to-back. The first is really dull to play, the second is much better, but the third doesn't bring anything new to the table and looked worse in places than 2.

Even though 2 is good, if you are finding the shooting tedious in 1 then don't bother continuing. There is a line about clowns that is awesome but you can just Youtube it instead of playing 20 hours of games that you don't like.

The feel of the shooting improved a ton in Uncharted 2, but I still wouldn't call it great. If you've already got a copy of the collection, I'd suggest you play through the first level and see how you feel. If you'd have to pay for it, I'd say pass.

I might quit on Grim Fandango. Just started year three. The first ever point and click game I played was Broken Age last year because I wasn't a PC gamer back in the day. Its just stupidly hard. I try my best to figure stuff out, but then I look up the answer and don't feel ashamed because i'm there mostly for the story and characters. But even looking a guide I still have no idea what i'm doing.

I wanted it finished before 2017 because i'm doing a clean windows install at New Years.. I will ponder on it for a little while longer.

45 minutes ago, thenexus6 said:

I might quit on Grim Fandango. Just started year three. The first ever point and click game I played was Broken Age last year because I wasn't a PC gamer back in the day. Its just stupidly hard. I try my best to figure stuff out, but then I look up the answer and don't feel ashamed because i'm there mostly for the story and characters. But even looking a guide I still have no idea what i'm doing.

I wanted it finished before 2017 because i'm doing a clean windows install at New Years.. I will ponder on it for a little while longer.

I had this experience at the very start of the game, couldn't find my way into the car park.

22 minutes ago, SuperBiasedMan said:

I had this experience at the very start of the game, couldn't find my way into the car park.

Yeah its a real shame as the setting, story, characters, soundtrack are pretty awesome but that gameplay!

I'm pretty sure I've quit ReCore for the lengthy load times. Finally hit a boss battle that requires some experimentation to work out & it was just agonizing. I can't seem to make myself try again. 

I put a lot of thoughts on ReCore in the finished thread when I beat it. Man, I love/hate that game so much. It may have been my goty if it weren't completely broken.

Pony Island - it's not kidding when it says it needs some "rapid, precise movements" in the opening disclaimer. There seems to be a sub-genre now of games which put difficult time-based gameplay walls in the way of the bits that are actually interesting...

While I typically stop playing a game before finishing it, there are few I outright "quit".

Hyper Light Drifter might be one of them and it's a bit heart breaking. I really dig the art, atmosphere and music, even the structure of the game should be something appeals to me, but holy cow, do I not like the feel of the combat or it's difficulty.

It feels a bit related to a Dark Souls thing (another game I wanted to love, but disliked the difficulty and design decisions) in the fact it's about learning enemy movements and when to strike. While I appreciate the endeavor to have the player have to learn this, I just don't have the patience, I'd prefer an easy mode where it's more like zelda button mashing. 

I'm going to search out a way to cheat through this game so I can enjoy the exploration, but if that doesn't work, I think I'll be hitting uninstall. Still a very cool looking game though.

On 11/30/2016 at 5:41 PM, ariskany_evan said:

Handing someone a book and telling them that there's probably lots of typos and logical leaps in structure/narrative that most books of that genre use due to the fact that "writing books is hard" that they have to overlook to squeeze out any enjoyment.

It's a slightly masochistic hobby until the medium gets a bit more mature.

Nice. Although, to be fair, I imagine that was true or writing in it's first generation. 

@thenexus6 I almost did the same thing, but I found basically playing with a walkthrough up was still fun. I don't care about trying to prove I can get the leaps of logic needed to get the puzzles, and parts of it are just obtuse. I love the setting and music and humor, so I never tried too hard on this go around to beat my head against it's rough edges. I did find that restarting once I decided to do that helped me stay in the story, though. That way it was basically a good movie I watched in 3 parts.

Urgh, Pony Island needs to learn that giving you unpleasant arcade sections might well be a postmodernist commentary on bad game design... but it's also making you play a bad and annoying game. (One difference between, say, novels with deliberate sections of poor prose, and this is that you can always skip over the poor prose.)

2 hours ago, aoanla said:

Urgh, Pony Island needs to learn that giving you unpleasant arcade sections might well be a postmodernist commentary on bad game design... but it's also making you play a bad and annoying game. (One difference between, say, novels with deliberate sections of poor prose, and this is that you can always skip over the poor prose.)

Wow, yeah, glancing through a playthrough of that on Youtube looks brutal.

I've always got a music comparison ready, though I know it's not 1-to-1: to me it's more like noise music. I like noise music that has form and shape, some overall structural purpose. Others think of noise music more purely, that any form or planned structure is exactly what stops it from being noise (aka purely improvisatory, of-the-moment, if a form manifests it's just happenstance).

So I'd want something like Pony Island that appears chaotic and brutal to have some sort of larger lesson or something. Though I'm worried it's just noise for the sake of it. Which is cool! But not for me.

I quit the new Deus Ex game (Mankind Divided) a few months ago. I wanted to beat it before Dishonored 2 came out, but every time I approached it I just couldn't bring myself to care. It's just more of the first, and after having played so much Dishonored, I wanted better design decisions. Once Dishonored 2 came out, it was over. I could never look back.

Quitting Solitairica. Really enjoyable mobile game (android or iOS). You have a pile of cards that you're trying to whittle down by drawing a card from your deck and making a sequence. If you draw a King, you can take an Ace or a Queen down from the pile, etc. It's a simple system that is augmented by mana, spells, enemies, a health system, inventory, and an economy.

Every single card that you draw or pull from the pile gives you 1 mana of any four types (attack, defence, agility, vitality). You can then have up to 6 spells that grant you various board clearing effects, health giving, or shield giving. There seem to be about 20-25 spells to choose from (there's a currency system, too, that allows you to purchase new spells and items.

You need health and shield to protect yourself from the enemy. There is a series of 18 enemies that you face off. Each has a specific deck of spells. You draw a card, make some moves, then the enemy plays its spell. You have 10 health that it's trying to whittle down.

In my time with the game I found that the complexity of the systems occasionally allows for some high level satisfying "plays", but it overall feels just a bit too random and grindy. Worth the money, but not worth 100%ing.

I've also just finished Solitairica.  To expand on it a little more, there's also a "class" system and some rogue-like elements.  The enemies you encounter will have random traits assigned to them that give them additional skills and weaknesses.  If you die (or beat the boss) you are rewarded with wildstone, a special type of currency that is used to unlock special cards for your deck or more item slots.  Wildstone is not purchasable with real money so getting enough to max out each class is a grind.  The only in-app purchase is one that unlocks the classes (either individually or a bundle of all).  Classes in this game are decks that specialize in two of the four mana types (meaning all the cards you draw from your deck will give only the specialty mana) and each one has spells that are exclusive to that deck with the exception of the first free deck.

I went ahead and purchased the bundle for all the classes (each one individual is $1 while the bundle is $4) and have maxed each one.  There are some interesting spell and item combinations you can do but for the most part the game is a slow grind as you whittle away at the stack.  For the most part I found little reason to divert from what I found to be winning strategies, even when they don't align with the class specialties.

I'm quitting Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment, although it's kinda strange it's monotonousness took so long to get me.

It's about people being trapped in futuristic VR MMORPG, which I guess is a sequel or something since it takes place at level 76 of a tower.

Like I said, it's monotonous and not that rewarding, for each level you visit a small map where you have to fight a "strong" monster and do a specific quest for information about this floor's boss, the quests are easy, yet tedious, same thing goes for the boss.

Also this game has "perv pandering" out of nowhere, you're married in game and have an NPC child and yet... you have a harem? The situations where a bit funny in a stupid ways, like in one situation my daughter forces me to SMELL all the girls. :blink:

Uncharted 1 RM 

Can officially get to fuck. My gf lied to me when she said it was fun. All you do is move from arena to arena and slay waves of cookie-cutter enemies. Heck, even the speedboat section, which was presumably supposed to be a fun interlude between gun fights, was slow and boring.

How did this series ever get off the ground? 

On 2/5/2017 at 2:39 AM, Trip Hazard said:

Uncharted 1 RM 

Can officially get to fuck. My gf lied to me when she said it was fun. All you do is move from arena to arena and slay waves of cookie-cutter enemies. Heck, even the speedboat section, which was presumably supposed to be a fun interlude between gun fights, was slow and boring.

How did this series ever get off the ground? 

Complaints at the time of release were also pretty negative on the over-reliance on shooting to pad out the game. It was pretty, though! And not much else to play on the PS3 a year into the console's lifecycle. A lot of talk was that this was the first game to realize the potential of all those dang cores. Some people just really love tech demos.

I played Uncharteds 1-3 right before Uncharted 4 came out and enjoyed them all immensely.

They get progressively better.

I bought a cheap PS3 to go back and play Uncharted when the PS4 came out and I didn't have the money for the next gen yet. I found them all pretty lackluster myself.

I have to think it is a series that feels a lot different now than when UC1 launched.  I mean, still within a year of the PS2/XBOX era, shiny HD graphics were a big, big deal.  A ton of people bought HD tvs for the first time during that year because of game consoles. 

I played all the remasters last year and loved all of them, including the first. I've always been a sucker for cinematic games though and find it pretty easy to push through mundane combat stuff so I can be rewarded with cool new cutscenes and story bits. 

I am LIVID! The new King's Quest games STILL HAVE DEAD ENDS! :fart::barf::devil::getmecoat

WHHHYY?! HOOOW?!?!

I simply played Chapter 2 like a "tough decision simulator", expecting I could only save one villager, and after getting stuck and finally looked up a walkthrough I found out I screwed up and had to restart.

I don't if I'm quitting the game for good or not, but I definitely don't want to hear about it for a VERY long while.