Tanukitsune

Quitter's Club: Don't be ashamed to quit the game.

Man, I have been quitting games with gay abandon recently.

Mutant Mudds Deluxe - movement speed too slow, instant death on hitting spikes and far too many trinkets to collect. Ain't got time for this shit.

Full Mojo Rampage - really boring. Again, base movement too slow and I don't like it when this is a "stat" to be improved as you play (see also: Binding of Isaac). It has cookie-cutter levels which were extremely unimaginative, and the first boss was v. tedious to fight: easy to predict and shoot, but has lots of health. Ugh, no.

Feel like I'm on the verge of quitting Titan Quest, which I've been playing in the new, anniversary edition, form. I'm playing as a hunter and I only just got the chance to multi-class so I picked Dream. People were saying I'd be squishy, but able to deal a ton of damage. A kind of hit-and-run class, which sounded fun. Well, maybe it becomes fun but initially, you do piss all damage and have a very limited range of attacks to call on. This isn't uncommon for an ARPG - there's an argument to be made that you have to start off weak and weedy in order to feel like a demigod by the end - but leveling is simply too slow and when I look at the skill tree, I just can't see anything that looks exciting. Mostly it's incremental improvements to my chance to pierce the enemy or dodge an attack, and that's all behind the scenes stuff...

Where's the skill that lets me fire off a volley of flaming arrows? Or the one that makes me run like the wind, leaving a trail of ensnaring thorns behind me? Probably only get that stuff when you're almost done with the game :/

Lastly, I'm not quitting exactly, but not sure when I'll go back to Devil Daggers. I really like it, and I really want to be good at it - totally not happy that fucking Dennis is ahead of me on the leaderboard - but I tense up when I play and I hold my mouse in a weird way and get the dreaded MEGACRAMPS so I just can't. But, like I said, seems like a great game.

Lastly, I'm not quitting exactly, but not sure when I'll go back to Devil Daggers. I really like it, and I really want to be good at it - totally not happy that fucking Dennis is ahead of me on the leaderboard - but I tense up when I play and I hold my mouse in a weird way and get the dreaded MEGACRAMPS so I just can't. But, like I said, seems like a great game.

I recently discovered the leader boards were cleared and put 2.5hrs into DD last night to reclaim steam friend bragging rights.  My hand was extremely tense at the end & was so amped from the action didnt get to bed for another hour afterwards - so yes, i totally get the quit-for-now sentiment here

I tried so hard to love The Witcher 3 on the Xbox One, but I couldn't.  It's an immaculately crafted game with meaningful dialogue, quests, and environments, but I just wasn't having a lick of fun with it by the end.  Crafting and alchemy were too complex for my tastes, inventory management was a pain, and replenishing potions by drinking alcohol is hilariously and stupidly arcane.

It's a terrific game that I have absolutely zero desire to play.  I just wish that I'd realized that sooner than 48 hours in.  

I tried so hard to love The Witcher 3 on the Xbox One, but I couldn't.  It's an immaculately crafted game with meaningful dialogue, quests, and environments, but I just wasn't having a lick of fun with it by the end.  Crafting and alchemy were too complex for my tastes, inventory management was a pain, and replenishing potions by drinking alcohol is hilariously and stupidly arcane.

It's a terrific game that I have absolutely zero desire to play.  I just wish that I'd realized that sooner than 48 hours in.  

I was on the cusp of this exact feeling, with a similar number of hours logged.

Except then I sat down this weekend and played through a fantastic side-quest line and decided it was good to keep playing.

My new plan for happiness: thoroughly ignoring inventory management (dropping any gear that I'm not wearing that doesn't +, no more annoying trips to the armorer!); making no potions or oils that I don't already have; no crafting.

I'm focusing exclusively on story, exploring the world, and fighting. Trying to do quests at least 2 levels above the requirement so that combat isn't that difficult (and can therefore ignore things like needing to min/max my gear/potions).

I think I'll get through it, but I'm sorry you had to hang it up.

This happened to me, plus I wasn't enjoying the story or combat. Sometimes I just have to accept that a game isn't for me.

Something else to consider - assuming you want to stick with it at all - is to put the difficulty all the way down. Should let you avoid whatever back-end systems you're not enjoying with minimal consequence (oils and potions mainly). In general, the only gear it's worth it to craft is the witcher gear; the rest can be ignored. The crafting system really is annoying...I think the game would have been better off without it.

By the way, I think the idea is that Geralt is using the alcohol to brew new potions, not drinking it himself :P

Oh, also if you're playing on PC I'm sure there are mods out there to remove the weight limit on your inventory.

I finally modded out the weight limit in Witcher 2. Much like Fallout, they fill the world with tons of things to pickup and don't give you room to carry near enough of them. Unlike Fallout, it's not immediately obvious what things are good/rare and what things aren't, which makes it doubly frustrating.

I quit From Dust, which I just got from PSN+, it started like an almost Zen-like game, but got frustrating very quick.

After a volcano level which I constantly had to tend to send the lava away from the villages, I got a dessert level with "water sources". I lifted some dirt and water started spouting from under it, I tried cover it up again only to uncover more water, meanwhile, my AI villagers struggled getting to the next village due their poor "pathing", so yeah, I gave up. 

Unless this game has a more Zen-like mode to play with, I'm not bothering with it again.

I think I'm done with Dark Souls. I don't think I got super far - I made it to some underground cavern place with tree monsters and felt the weight of the million years it would take me to explore the place and learn its ins and outs and said to myself "I'm not really enjoying this." I don't know if there was ever a point in my life where getting better at a video game for the sake of getting better at a video game was rewarding, but that's not where I am right now, so, goodbye, Dark Souls, I can sort of see what people like about you but it's not something I like about you.

I just upgraded my computer so I decided to play Far Cry: Blood Dragon which I've owned for a while but which didn't run super great on my old computer. I beat a few missions and liberated a few outposts and decided I was done. I like some free-roaming sorts of games - Far Cry 2, for instance! - and I really like shooters generally, but Blood Dragon was just way too much like Far Cry 3, way too unfocused, and not quite funny enough to hold my attention. I think I'm a larger fan of games that either do something interesting with the free roaming around (or that at least break up the tedium a bit - Blood Dragon is just the same thing over and over in different locations) or much tighter corridor shooters where the action is more consistent and I don't have to loot every body for money and grind animal quests to unlock attachments to buy at vending machines I can access at outposts I've fast traveled to once I've liberated them... over and over and over... so yeah, I'm slightly sad to not be able to see the rest of the largely mediocre but still sometimes amusing story unfold, but whatever. Life's too short.

I kinda agree with you, and I'm not going to force you to go back to it, but Blood Dragon is more varied than you think.

The variety in the gameplay is left up to you - do you sneak into the base, silently killing the guards, or do you lure a huge neon t-rex that shoots friggin' laser beams into the base to do the hard work for you? Unlike Far Cry, in Blood Dragon you're seriously overpowered, so it's viable to try different strategies, even go in all guns blazing if you want. Try something different every time!

It is perhaps too easy to get stuck in a single style of play, but it's totally possible to switch things up without making the game too hard. Maybe the designers needed to find ways to encourage you to try new approaches (outside of the missions - often you'd have a restriction like enforced stealth for hostage rescue, or have to go in shooting inside an underground facility).

(I really enjoyed Blood Dragon, as you can guess)

I kinda agree with you, and I'm not going to force you to go back to it, but Blood Dragon is more varied than you think.

The variety in the gameplay is left up to you - do you sneak into the base, silently killing the guards, or do you lure a huge neon t-rex that shoots friggin' laser beams into the base to do the hard work for you? Unlike Far Cry, in Blood Dragon you're seriously overpowered, so it's viable to try different strategies, even go in all guns blazing if you want. Try something different every time!

It is perhaps too easy to get stuck in a single style of play, but it's totally possible to switch things up without making the game too hard. Maybe the designers needed to find ways to encourage you to try new approaches (outside of the missions - often you'd have a restriction like enforced stealth for hostage rescue, or have to go in shooting inside an underground facility).

(I really enjoyed Blood Dragon, as you can guess)

Blood Dragon forced me to change up my tactics. In FC3 I cleared almost every outpost by sniping, but the Blood Dragon outposts had high walls an were rarely near a hill or mountain that would let me see inside. I had to figure out the melee and stealth systems I had previously neglected.

I mean, I did the "lure huge neon t-rex" thing (it wasn't very fun - you just throw a heart, the t-rex kills everyone, the end), I did the "silently killing the guards" thing (which was mostly my MO in FC3 so it's like yaaaawn), I did the "go in guns blazing thing," because why not, and I don't really like sniping, so after clearing three outposts I was like "eh whatever." I also did two hostage rescues and an animal hunt and honestly it just felt like more FC3.

Yeah, I think if I'd played much of FC3, Blood Dragon would have felt like more of the same. Then again, it was meant to be an expansion with 80's clothes and a protagonist turned up to 11, so I can forgive it for that.

Buyer beware: requested a refund for Grow Up as it runs poorly on my PC. A real shame as I'd been looking forward to a marathon session today :(

I have given Deus Ex Mankind Divided two hours but I'm done. It's the 'best' Wii U version but the frame rate isn't great and I'm dreading the 25-30 hours ahead. There are a ton of menus that I can't be bothered to navigate and learn. It all seems Perfect Darky. I don't care about the story and I'd rather be playing Pikmin 3, so I'm not going to bludgeon myself through it. It's academically interesting but dull to me. Shadowy science and tech blah blah...

I tell a lie - I DID like Jenson's Clint Eastwood voice.

It took me yeeeeeeeeears to finish Witcher One.  I enjoyed it but always got sidelined / sidetracked spent days away from it and lost the thread....and it always happened around chapter 3 or so.   I only just beat it a few months back.

Had a similar experience with Fallout 3, still haven't finished New Vegas, or Fallout 4, or Skyrim.  When I say finished I mean I never get to the end of the main plot even though it wouldn't take that long.  I just become Hero Hunter man spending all his time gathering things for his house.  And now Skyrim remaster exists for me to do stupid things like print out a list of all of the books and try to assemble a personal library like my Elven Archer is some mindful scholar.

For me my biggest hurdle is always, can I play this game all the way to the end without breaking off to do some other fun thing, and big epic expansive RPGs are a nightmare for keeping me on track and focused.

I did outright quit Tharsis because despite knowing exactly what it was I thought "I'm sure I can handle that level of unfair bullshine."  Fun fact.  Apparently I can't.

Quitting Witcher 3. On the final mission, but felt no impetus to continue (so many little clean-up quests in Novigrad; probably a good hour left to play). Looked up the endings and feel like I made the right choice. Nothing sparked any sort of feeling.

Game had a few great story beats, but is overall a disappointment. Combat was dull, inventory painful, traversal clunky. Beautiful world, but no distinct sense of place. I never looked at the map later on in the game and went "Oh, yes, I know exactly where I am."

Pace of the storytelling was glacial. Every time there was some momentum in the story, there'd be a 5 minute conversation. Too many, "I'll help you only if you help me first" quests.

I played and enjoyed the first Witcher a few years ago. That felt so much more focused. This was ultimately a bummer with some cool moments.

I was enjoying Ittle Dew's puzzles and general thing, but it's boss fights are just lame and tedious, and the final one was the final straw. So many forms, all tedious. The final boss is constantly spawning enemies and objects and if you don't beat the wave quick they just keep piling up until the whole screen's a mess. For a game that's 80% about puzzles, it's a bad way to end it.

I'm quitting Chrono Cross, not only does it change everything too much, it feels like FF 8, which was needless complicated and made the magic system... boring?

Just trying to read how it works bore and frustrate me and the little of what I saw made me no care one bit?

18 minutes ago, Patrick R said:

I was enjoying Ittle Dew's puzzles and general thing, but it's boss fights are just lame and tedious, and the final one was the final straw. So many forms, all tedious. The final boss is constantly spawning enemies and objects and if you don't beat the wave quick they just keep piling up until the whole screen's a mess. For a game that's 80% about puzzles, it's a bad way to end it.

I quite liked the bosses, and also the way the last boss changed depending on which items you beat the game with! It was basically just a puzzle fight. X:

I had all the items so I don't know about it's variations, and even once I figured out what to do (which was always pretty clear) it took forever to do it right because he keeps spamming new enemies and blocks. There was no great "ah ha!" moment for me with any of the bosses the way there was for the game's best puzzles.

On 2016-11-10 at 7:11 AM, Samuel Flagg said:

It took me yeeeeeeeeears to finish Witcher One.  I enjoyed it but always got sidelined / sidetracked spent days away from it and lost the thread....and it always happened around chapter 3 or so.   I only just beat it a few months back.

The middle, Vizima part of TW goes on for longer than it should. I also took a long time to finish that game, but I got stuck in the 4th chapter and just put it down. I have this mild urge to replay it but I'm not sure if I could make my way through it again. Too much bad combat to deal with.

I really like Phantasmagoria's whole thing, it's cheap-looking Clive Barker meets The Shining meets bad green-screens aesthetic. But the pace is incredibly slow and progression feels completely arbitrary. My husband started to go a little Jack Torrence and yell at me to buy him drain cleaner, so I go to town, buy it, and return home. I hear him in his room but the door's locked. I wander around the house and can't get to him. The "hint skull" just tells me to find him and give him what he wants. There are no puzzles blocking my progress into rooms, no inventory items to pick up.

Turns out I didn't have ENOUGH conversations in town to get all the backstory, so the game refuses to trigger the events needed for me to move on. I'm bad enough at adventure games without all this hassle.

I was kinda enjoying Phantasmagoria: A Puzzle of Flesh, the sequel to Phantasmagoria. In many ways it's much worse than the original. It ditches the captivating green screen aesthetic for more traditional FMV antics, it's much more linear and limited in scope. A lot of the time it feels less like an adventure game than a low-budget DTV horror film that you just happen to click through. There aren't really the Myst-like puzzles of Phantasmagoria; most progression is achieved through merely exhausting all your dialogue options with the other characters.

BUT it's queerer than the original. It's probably the first bisexual male protagonist I've ever played in a video game (though I'd love to hear of more?!?), and while his gay best friend is mostly there for comic relief, it was unbelievably refreshing that he was more "office computer dork" funny than "flamboyant ridiculous f**" funny. And in general it's approach to alternative sexuality (S&M, bisexuality, polyamory, etc.) was refreshingly level-headed for a 20-year old video game, even if it felt it was trying a little too hard to prove how "adult" and "mature" it was with all that stuff.

But then my game crashed and it deleted my save file. And while I will gladly be strung along hours of bad acting and cheesy horror once, I cannot let myself go through those motions twice. I'll probably return to it in a couple years.

Have you tried searching for a save file online? Older games tended to have some site with save files of them.