Tanukitsune

Quitter's Club: Don't be ashamed to quit the game.

Really enjoyed Super Mario Galaxy 2, but I'm bailing on this postgame. After beating the game and getting all 120 power stars you're asked to collect 120 green stars scattered across every level in the game to unlock a final challenge. Some are hard to collect, asking the player to chain together moves to reach heights or distances not required in the main game, while others are hard to find, hidden behind walls or otherwise invisible to the normal camera angles, and some are both.

It's fun at first to do a triple jump into a spin jump to collect a star high above the level, but not enough to sustain 120 extra challenges or to deal with all the cruft around it. Replaying parts of levels for third and fourth and fifth times just to reach the planetoids with the star, being unable to skip repeated cinematics the first time you re-encounter them for new stars in the same old levels, combing every inch of a level looking for tiny light rays, stars positioned where failure means instant death, missing a star floating in the middle of nowhere because it doesn't cast a shadow to help depth perception.

I'm trying to give Final Fantasy 8 another chance and while stomaching Squall is a challenging, the combat seems WAY too slow with all the summoning and such.

I'm at the part right after you escape a robot that chases you at the start of the game and I'm not sure if I care to continue. 

Combat, and siphoning off spells from enemies, is a real killer for FF8 for me.  They should have just made all the combat based on that card game.  I loved the card game in 8 so much. 

Combat, and siphoning off spells from enemies, is a real killer for FF8 for me.  They should have just made all the combat based on that card game.  I loved the card game in 8 so much. 

That sounds very familiar to my experience of playing that game in early high school. Siphoning spells is something that's great in a design meeting (magic comes from interacting with the game's ecosystem) and incredibly tedious in practice (wring out every enemy you meet like an obsessive laundryman). The card game is boss, though. I can still hear the music in my head, right now!

Is there at least I point I should try to reach in the game?

The spell siphoning is a hassle for sure, many enemies seem to have "Cure", but it's really annoying trying to get a specific attack spell.

The few games I played of Triple Triad were fun, I somehow got a Biggs and Wedge card from the gate card and didn't play again because I couldn't find a save point.

EDIT: The Steam version seems to have the option to make all the stuff I hate go away, so maybe one day I'll just get that version?

I want to play more of The Division, but I just can't. The end game is garbage. Daily missions are fine, and the Dark Zone is great (well, it would be if there weren't so many freaking cheaters running around), but the end game is simply running terrible farming runs in the DZ, which is not fun at all, and the challenging difficulty and incursion mission is just enemies with craptons of health and waves and waves of boring sameness. There is no new challenge or interesting problem solving, or skill. You just shoot literally hundreds (or thousands) of bullets into the enemies. WHEEEE.

I hope that they eventually figure out how to make the endgame good, because GETTING to this point was fantastic. I really liked the game until the loot grind, because there is nothing interesting bout that grind.

I've found that as I get older I have less patience for any form of media that wastes my time. If I feel a creator of a work is becoming too self indulgent, or has lost the thread, I stop right there and walk away. I think there is nothing wrong with walking away from something that holds no value to the viewer/reader/player/listener. 

Strangely, I somehow managed to finish the initial story arc of Destiny, and in a way I'm kinda glad. The story and narrative is on a level of such hot garbage as to be awe inspiring in a way... and hilarious. If you've not had the chance to witness the sheer majesty of it's final cinematic (for the arc) I suggest watching a video of it. And that speech intended to inspire, what a stunning piece of horrendous dialogue. 

I haven't played Destiny since.

Has anybody played Xenogears? I'm 15+ hours and just defeated the most boring sewer section with a boss that took forever to die. Good Lord, the sewer section FELT long and it was only a few screens.

And I'm stuck in a tournament... again! The worst part is that I don't want to quit, it seems to have several elements I want to know more about, it just has so much stuff I don't care about or even hate before they do something interesting.

Yeah, I almost quit when the game became "Story time with Fei(?)" where he told a story rocking on a chair that lead to a random boss fight.

I'm partially ashamed at quitting FFVIII. The only agency I had in that game was finding out who said what in the opening. Once I found out in the 3rd or 4th disc, I quit.

I guess I'm still in Squeenix mood, but I think I'm quitting Parasite Eve II, it's just not as enjoyable as the first one.

I loved the first game so much I did the bloody SEVENTY FLOOR extra dungeon! This game tries to be more survival horror but still has RPG elements and I simply don't like how they mix.

I remember why I quit so many years ago, because you have tank controls and have to dodge charging enemies.... But I stubbornly continued and only quit when I met some slime that silenced me... and can only be defeated with magic... Not to mention than when I looked up how to beat them, I realized I wasn't even halfway through the game.

I replayed PE I several times in a row, but I can't be bothered to continue. All the changes they made make it more annoying than anything else. 

FFVIII was awful (except the card game, which is the best thing in the game even though the AI cheats).

I am giving up on Valkyria Chronicles II, I was absolutely loving it until I got to this one level where I realised a bunch of my soldiers were too under levelled to take on the challenge. I was going to go back to get them upgraded but came head first into the arbitrary assignment of credits (there are different gradiants of credits in each mission and I haven't unravelled how to guarantee that my Scouts will get the credtis they need to become elite snipers) and realised that I was going to have to play certain missions over and over again until they unlocked them (or not).

It sucked all the fun out of the game and I will not be picking it up again, shame as I made it about three quarters of the way through the game and played it for about 40 hours.

I think I'll quit SanctuaryRPG Black Edition.  It's a cool game, and I'm glad that I've put about 20 hours in it, but playing on permadeath mode to unlock stuff is ultimately a bit too frustrating.  I've lost 3 characters, making further progress each time, but there's a fair amount of grinding levels, gold and crafting items with each new character, enough so that it kills my enthusiasm for starting from scratch again. 

Really enjoyed Super Mario Galaxy 2, but I'm bailing on this postgame. After beating the game and getting all 120 power stars you're asked to collect 120 green stars scattered across every level in the game to unlock a final challenge. Some are hard to collect, asking the player to chain together moves to reach heights or distances not required in the main game, while others are hard to find, hidden behind walls or otherwise invisible to the normal camera angles, and some are both.

It's fun at first to do a triple jump into a spin jump to collect a star high above the level, but not enough to sustain 120 extra challenges or to deal with all the cruft around it. Replaying parts of levels for third and fourth and fifth times just to reach the planetoids with the star, being unable to skip repeated cinematics the first time you re-encounter them for new stars in the same old levels, combing every inch of a level looking for tiny light rays, stars positioned where failure means instant death, missing a star floating in the middle of nowhere because it doesn't cast a shadow to help depth perception.

My Wii is at my parents house and I haven't lived for them for a few years so I played the post game over like a period of a few years collecting a few stars whenever I visited every few months, which I think helped it feel much less tedious. To unlock the last star you need to have 9999 star bits in the star bit bank but again I didn't mind just starting a new file solely for collecting star bits because at that point I was revisiting levels I forgot most of the details of. 

I'm thinking of quitting Tales of Phantasia, it was nice to see where the "tales of" series comes from, but I loath the combat, the group is AI controlled and barely seems to do anything and the character you control isn't much better, I can only set it to "auto" or "semi-auto", on auto you barely attack and on semi you do but... you don't fully control the hero and he runs around like a headless chicken and all you can do is mash the attack button.

I put up with the horrid combar, because I like everything else about the game, until I reached a boss that wiped me out immediately and now I have to grind and with this combat system, it's quite infuriating and it no longer seems worth it. 

I picked up PROTOTYPE 2 during the summer sale. After completing about 2/3rds of the game I hit a bug where I can no longer trigger any missions. I don't really feel like replaying the game right now. It was fun, but I think I liked the original game better, they simplified a lot of the systems and made the map smaller in ways that make me feel less like a god of destruction.

Similarly The Darkness 2 crashes to desktop when I try to start a new game. Sad that there are so many broken games on steam Tom Clancy's HAWKS 2 is similarly bugged.

In a rush for hard drive space I think I'm finally putting down The Witcher 3. Like DA:I before it I've found a tonne of fun in it but despite the rather splendid stories general combat just starts to really drag after a while. Goodnight, Sweet Prince.

I bought Salt and Sanctuary on the back of people saying it had some very Vania aspects in it. I like 2d RPGs, I love Castlevania and Metroid. I quit and refunded S&S at the first boss. I was really angry because I feel like I was just lied to. I saw some reviews suggest that it's "not souls enough" for a love letter to Souls. It's 100% souls. No tutorial, no descriptions for what the different classes are, bullshit fight mechanics. The only thing that's Castlevania about it is it's not 3D. Fuck that game. I was really excited about getting it and I'm so fucking mad I got tricked.

Fuck that game.

what haha it's only ever been described to me as a 2d souls game!!!

you got SUPER tricked

refundo time

(or did you buy on ps4)

(edit: oh you said you refunded)

(in that case "bullshit fight mechanics" fool i will fight YOU!!!)

The first boss is probably one of the two or three hardest bosses in the game.  It does have the whole interlocking map with gaining new abilities that let you transverse it in different ways as you progress, letting you backtrack and explore new areas.  It's definitely a Metroidvania, because that sense of exploration and gaining abilities that let you traverse in different ways or bypass gates is one of the hallmarks of a 'vania game to me. 

But fair enough that you bounced off it, not going to click for everyone. 

I enjoyed it a lot, but I also got bored after a bit. I get the feeling they're going for, but not having a map makes it real difficult to figure out where you've been, where you're going, and where you should return to later, so I ended up wandering around randomly a lot.

I still got more than my money's worth out of it though, and hope to go back to it someday.

The lack of a world map definitely hurts it, they adhered to strongly to the Souls design in that respect, and their world design didn't really facilitate the kind of map learning that the Souls games do. 

I'm not sure if I would have enjoyed it as much solo, I only messed around solo for an hour or so.  But in co-op, I felt it really shined.

I was already mad when you're supposed to die to whatever that monster is on the boat. I was mad enough to quit and never play it again on that first boss.

I got much madder when my friend tried to tell me that I "should have" played a magic class because the bosses are much easier. I picked knight because that seemed like the reasonable thing to start with. I don't know what anything does, I'm content playing a middle of the road archetype, I'm gonna pick the class you start the cursor on.

No map seems like a giant oversight, but I didn't play it long enough to hit that particular frustration.

I didn't start as a magic class and I did fine? Though in these types of games I tend to over-level which helps a lot. I don't actually find the magic to be particularly useful, even though I'm a hybrid mage/swordsman.

Edit: Sounds like you've already quit, and I don't blame you, but I might be able to look back at the boss fight and grab some tips if you're interested. I don't know if it would be very productive as each boss is going to be like that, Souls style.

The lady played a magic class and I played a Paladin-style character (mix of healing and great weapons).  We both felt that I was the stronger class up until about half way to two-thirds of the way through, when her ability to do damage just blew past me.  So a pretty typical arc for a mage in terms of power.