Tanukitsune

Quitter's Club: Don't be ashamed to quit the game.

Personally that's true for me in many games so without a good story I ditch most of the games I play cause even with mechanics I like I "get" them after a bit and then I'm done. I do think they underline the story well, so they're better personally than most story games I play.

Also I meant to say if you do play more, I'd think the passive approach to fights is more interesting cause it changes from enemy to enemy rather than the fight command that's always the same and pretty simple.

I would disagree that they're dull and also vehemently disagree that they're not the point of the game. They're very strongly tied to the theme of the game, and in particular, the theme of each individual battle. (At least, if you play passively, as SBM suggests.)

But also yes don't waste time playing games you don't like!

But also if you think you "get it" after only an hour and a half, well, I don't think you do.

Yeah, I thought I "got" Undertale about 2 hours in, but I'm really glad I put in the time to finish it. A 5 hour commitment isn't that bad, and the end of the game actually managed to surprise me quite a bit. 

For the record, by not the point I mean the main point is the story. If you don't like the story much, I don't think you'll care about the fights. They serve well to assist the story but I wouldn't have stuck with them for long on their own (Unless every fight was a boss fight, the boss fights were super good)

I quit Guild of Dungeoneering. The gameplay is just too brainless, and while it's asking you to make decisions fairly frequently, they're all trivially easy decisions. There's usually an objectively correct card to play, and it's always really easy to figure out what that card is. I make maybe one real decision per minute, and spending the rest of the time making trivial deductions about the best card to play is awfully dull.

This is pretty much the only post on the forum I can find about this game. Man, it is so easy to screw yourself by purchasing the wrong upgrades.  I came so close to quitting this so many times and it's just because I never picked up any skills to get a blessings, or I didn't have a character that was high-value enough, or any number of other things. For a while there, I was starting out the dungeon and with my card draws it was literally impossible to beat the very first enemy. That being said, I'm two dungeons from the end now.

Just listening to the Giant bomb GOTY podcast, I have the exact same experience with Undertale as Jeff Gerstmann. It's boring to play, but everything everyone says about it makes me want to play it. It's just that it feels like the game is pushing back on me by feeling like work with boring puzzles and terrible mechanics. It's good to hear other people say it gets a lot better after the first 2 hours.

Yeah, I had the same thing with Undertale as well - I played the demo, and really didn't feel that it sold me enough on it being "enjoyable" to play for me to buy the full game (regardless of the apparently awesome stuff, which I should hypothetically like, which reviews mention). I did watch a bit of a playthrough on YouTube to see if the gameplay itself gets any less boring later, and I can't see that it does, so...

(Meanwhile, having finally had a go at Saints Row IV after it got a Linux port, I'm perilously close to Quitting it about 25% of the way in. Like a lot of "open world games" seem to be, it's not so much a game as an environment for containing lots of different games, and some of those games are much less interesting to me than others. (As I seem to remember, a lot of the reviews had the same sentiment, in that the "classic" Saints Row/GTA style bits are actually the least fun parts, but the overarching game seems to think that I actually want to care about stealing cars, when I can jump over buildings, run faster than a locomotive and hurl fireballs.) The problem is that the side-plot "loyalty" missions, and quite a bit of the main plot missions, are a mix of all of the game types chained together, and I can't avoid the games which really annoy me, or which I have huge problems with. This is becoming an issue quite quickly now, as the difficulty of the various game types seems to increase as you complete them, so I'm very close to reaching peak "I don't care" when encountering the less interesting ones...)

Saint's Row the Third was awesome, but IV got away from what I enjoyed about the series and skewed more toward Prototype or Infamous.

3rd > 4. I still really enjoyed my time with 4 though. I generally like the Infamous style super hero games, but man 3rd is the perfect GTA game. It surpassed every single GTA iteration for me. 

I find all the talk about "The first [thirty minutes/hour/two hours] of Undertale is terrible" really odd because I loved every second of it. Obviously everyone has their own taste, but I find it strange that even proponents of the game trash the opening. Am I the only one who likes the whole thing straight through?

I find all the talk about "The first [thirty minutes/hour/two hours] of Undertale is terrible" really odd because I loved every second of it. Obviously everyone has their own taste, but I find it strange that even proponents of the game trash the opening. Am I the only one who likes the whole thing straight through?

Nope, I'm right there with you. Not really sure why people poop on it. I thought it was adorable.

I find all the talk about "The first [thirty minutes/hour/two hours] of Undertale is terrible" really odd because I loved every second of it. Obviously everyone has their own taste, but I find it strange that even proponents of the game trash the opening.

For your curiosity, I can explain why I trashed the opening. In short: The combat was dull, the puzzles were dull and felt like padding, its love for early JRPGs didn't resonate with me (and came off as impeding the UI), Toriel (the only major character in the opening) was very overbearing in a bad way, and overall I got the impression that everything was trying to kill me, which rather put me off the whole "pacifism" thing the game was pushing. The last two points may be personal, but I've heard the others repeated by several other people.

everything was trying to kill me

Well, they are.

I think that other people felt that but usually in a way that put them off the game. Even some people who like the game seem to think the opening was a bit more bare compared to the rest. Which I agree with to an extent? I feel like it had less dialogue and jokes (partially cause of limited characters) plus it could only tease at the story really. Toriel shoulders a lot of set up mechanically and narratively, which is always less of a favourite point in game. I felt like the game opened up after that bit, and really spread its wings. I still liked the opening but I can see how it sells the rest short.

Well, they are.

Yeah, I mean the point of the game is that you can be a pacifist in spite of that.

Yeah, I mean the point of the game is that you can be a pacifist in spite of that.

You know how many videogаmes have a Stupid Evil option where your character burns down an orphanage, or otherwise acts like a psychotic asshole for no reason, not even personal gain? It's dumb and videogаmey because there's no reason your character would do it, it's only there for players making the arbitrary and out-of-game choice to play an Evil character.

The fact that everything was trying to kill me made pacifism feel like a Stupid Good option. I challenge you to find me the human being who gets attacked by a literal monster, tries repeatedly to talk it down only for it to keep trying to kill them, then continues their commitment to diplomacy rather than fleeing or fighting.

3rd > 4. I still really enjoyed my time with 4 though. I generally like the Infamous style super hero games, but man 3rd is the perfect GTA game. It surpassed every single GTA iteration for me. 

I think that's probably the core of my problem with 4 - I kinda avoided SR1 and 2 because I don't really get on with the 3D GTAs (and have horrible problems with every 3d driving game ever), and was only vaguely interested in 3 (but not enough to play it). So, coming to 4, I'm basically lacking any particular context, or enthusiasm, for the GTAish bits, since I got it for all the bits which aren't like that.

(In retrospect, I probably should be playing Infamous, but SR4 has a linux port, so...)

SR4 is a good game, you really don't need any context for the characters, location, story etc, it's all blown up anyway (literally). I mean I gave zero shits about Gat, but that didn't affect my enjoyment of the game at all. 

The super hero games are best when they're dumb and crazy, which is exactly what SR4 is. I think it surpasses Infamous games, which take themselves pretty seriously and have dumb, boring side missions, which I do anyway because I have to try to 100% stuff.

Ah, in that case, I probably did pick the right game (I completely agree that super hero stuff is best when not trying to force itself to be Super Gritty and Serious). On the other hand: I'm as completionist as you, and I find the driving bits far harder than I suspect they're supposed to be...

I quit Supreme League of Patriots, the first episode was OK-ish, but at the end of that episode the superhero becomes incredibly racist, sexist and homophobic or as the game says.... "A Republican", ha ha, the wit...

When you talk to the gay super hero, it was just too uncomfortable, they tried to "justify" it by having the hero "enjoy" the abuse, but... yeah... 

I'm fairly close to giving up on Fire Emblem: Awakening. I blame myself, not the game.

I'm a perfectionist, so I want the child characters to all be awesome. That means that I want them to all have totally kickass skills. Right now, because I made some poor decisions early on, it looks like I'll have to do some SERIOUS grinding with the parent characters in order to do that.

Characters learn abilities for their prestige classes at 5 and 15...usually the best one is at 15...and it feels painfully slow to level them up for me right now. That is, unless I run the same downloaded map over and over and over again because it's the only one that reliably gives me butt-tons of exp. I think the level was designed for just that.

Anyway...I must be playing it all wrong. I'm going to try starting again from the beginning. But it reminds me very painfully of Sacred Stones, which was another Fire Emblem that felt very meh and grindy to me.

I adored Rekka no Ken though and must have played it a million billion times. One of my favorite games from younger years. And I thought the Gamecube one was ok, too. Maybe Rekka no Ken was a one hit wonder for me though...maybe I'm not a "true" fan or something?? I feel like, even though I always told myself in Rekka no Ken that I wanted to get rid of the limits on support convos and leveling...once those limits were removed, I realized that I missed them. I have a whole bunch of weird feelings about Fire Emblem.

I kind of hate myself for not enjoying Awakening more :( My favorite parts of Fire Emblem games are support conversations and leveling/promoting people...and Awakening makes it so easy and stress-free to do both of those! Plus the main story maps have, so far, been pretty interesting and tactical. I guess it's just too much of a good thing. We'll see, I'll restart soon.

Quitting Mushroom 11. Got it with the Humble Monthly pack at some point. RPS has a nice write up of the game, but it's not for me. Indirect control causes me true anxiety! Looks like it has good bones, though.

Has anybody played Xenogears? I'm 15+ hours and just defeated the most boring sewer section with a boss that took forever to die. Good Lord, the sewer section FELT long and it was only a few screens.

And I'm stuck in a tournament... again! The worst part is that I don't want to quit, it seems to have several elements I want to know more about, it just has so much stuff I don't care about or even hate before they do something interesting.

The original PS1 era Xenogears?  I remember it being one of those games I Ioved until it lasted so long that I ended up hating it.  It's easily twice as long as it needs to be. 

Yeah, that one. A part of me wants to continue, even for just a little more, but I'm not sure. For every thing I like, there are two I hate...