Tanukitsune

Quitter's Club: Don't be ashamed to quit the game.

That's a bummer. TWEWY is one of my GOATs but the adventure stuff is boring as hell and those mechanics really don't scale well. Early game you can just flail and ignore the top screen, but later it gets tougher and you need to try get a handle on stuff. Not that I ever got it very well, the mechanics are not what made me love it.

I've been trying to track down TWEWY on and off for ages. What you described sounds like antifun, Glol, which actually pleases me because I can strike it from my list. You haven't played Chrono Trigger and thought it was a bit rubbish, perchance? ;)

Every change made for the DS version of Chrono Trigger was for the worse (cut scenes, monster training, etc.), but I had no problem ignoring all of this and had fun with it.

I've been trying to track down TWEWY on and off for ages. What you described sounds like antifun, Glol, which actually pleases me because I can strike it from my list. You haven't played Chrono Trigger and thought it was a bit rubbish, perchance? ;)

I'm guessing what Griddlelol ran into with the combat is that you really do benefit from doing things on the top screen, and if you're planning carefully, you might be dropping the puck. A 5x damage puck ends fights pretty quickly. The early fights are easy enough that you can flail around for a bit, but you need to have worked out the puck to beat taboo noise quickly.

Every change made for the DS version of Chrono Trigger was for the worse (cut scenes, monster training, etc.), but I had no problem ignoring all of this and had fun with it.

I liked having the stuff that was added in the PS1 version without the crippling load times. I especially enjoyed the re-translation, but I really liked the cut scenes as well.

I found Chrono Trigger pretty bland as someone playing it after the fact. It was alright but totally normal RPG fare with a story that was generic apart from when it had nonsensical diversions.

I think what people liked about Chrono Trigger was that it was the first JRPG that leaned heavily on puzzle bosses. Most JRPGs have strategies that are more effective, but Chrono Trigger's bosses require you to think a little about what will work.

This is not exactly uncommon these days - FFXIII made regular encounters work this way - but it's notable for the time. It probably also helped that its story was episodic, so it was easier to follow the plot and feel like it had momentum. Compare to FF6, which is made up of a series of moments separated by some distance.

I really really really did not like TWEWY as pretty much the only person I knew until recently. The combat anti-clicked with me so hard. I hate having to distribute my attention like that.

I think what people liked about Chrono Trigger was that it was the first JRPG that leaned heavily on puzzle bosses. Most JRPGs have strategies that are more effective, but Chrono Trigger's bosses require you to think a little about what will work.

This is not exactly uncommon these days - FFXIII made regular encounters work this way - but it's notable for the time. It probably also helped that its story was episodic, so it was easier to follow the plot and feel like it had momentum. Compare to FF6, which is made up of a series of moments separated by some distance.

Also the length being a more reasonable 25-ish hours, no random battles, and time travel puzzles that were at least somewhat clever. Oh and a story line that is fairly cohesive, even if it has a few "nonsensical diversions." It's one of the few RPG games of its time that you could ask me "why are you here at this particular time" and I could usually answer.

A lot of people really like it, and I'm definitely in the minority. There's always the ipad/phone versions which are easily available. 

I've never played Chrono Trigger, I'm sure I wouldn't like it, it is a JRPG and it's pretty rare for me to like them. 

I quit Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows. It has you play through the same levels as the main campaign, but as Plague Knight. Plague is a super cool character with neat abilities, and the recycled levels were clearly not designed for Plague's ranged attacks and quadruple-plus-flutter jump. Everything that was precisely calibrated to be interesting for Shovel Knight is wonky (and generally way easier) for Plague.

Also I played three levels and when I booted it up today it apparently hadn't saved my last level's worth of progress, so fuck that.

This is one of those "I might quit this game if I can't over this posts", like most PSP and Vita games, Valkyria Chronicles II has small mission based areas it recycles ad nauseum, which is one of the things that is starting to get me, the main reason is how unfair the current fight I'm in is.

The Command uses a command to deploy and retreat from area to area that he's conquered making it a nightmare since he can easily reach the post I just conquered and take it back and worse, he's super tough, he's killing my heavy troops before they can even have time to take a shot.

I'm stumped and I'm quite miffed, and unless this is one of these situations where it turns out it's easier than I thought, but I'm just dumb, I might just give it another go. Not to mention I already completed the "side stories" for the few characters I liked.

EDIT: I just looked up a walkthough and.. it's say to either grind or play in co-op.  :tdown:

After giving it what in retrospect seems like far too many chances, I've decided to give up on Shadow Tower, a "King's Field-like" by From Software. I really enjoyed the actual King's Field games, so I thought Shadow Tower would be right up my alley, but the ways in which it diverges end up really dragging it down.

Where King's Field had challenges that were perfectly suited to the somewhat cumbersome controls, Shadow Tower matches you with enemies that can move, turn and attack much faster than you can. I can sort of admire the ambitiousness of the enemy designs (the game has an absolutely insane number of unique creatures, and many of them have multiple novel attack behaviors), but that doesn't make it any more fun to get chain-stunned by sweeping laser beams and shockwaves that I had no hope of avoiding. And as if that wasn't bad enough, in a misguided attempt to build a survival horror atmosphere, the game has been saddled with a truly horrendous durability system that turns exploring the dungeon into a tedious chore. Literally every piece of equipment you use is constantly falling apart at an alarming rate, requiring you to frequently swap it out using the world's slowest menu system. Even your magic spells deteriorate!

Let my pain be a warning to anyone looking to check out From Software's earlier work. Shadow Tower is unfortunately the only game of its type available on PSN right now, and I'd hate for anybody to try it out and get the wrong idea about its genre. It can be much better than this!

I gave Magicka 2 a fighting chance since it was free on PS plus.  I'd like to preface this by saying that I saw it was published by Paradox, and I immediately understood that it would possibly be a deep game with a steep learning curve.  I like Paradox games, and I have no problem with a a game with complex systems.  I played for a few hours and was immediately turned  off when I realized that while there is obviously a decent amount of depth in terms of deciding what element or combination of elements to use at what time, but this depth is completely hidden behind the obnoxiously steep learning curve of memorizing what combination of how much of which elements  casts which spell.  While they give you hotkeys to help with this, they penalize you for using them!  This communicates to me that they value memorization and muscle memory over quick thinking about what spell to cast in which situation.  

I suppose that you can get a decent way through the game and possibly beat it using the hotkeys with spell cooldowns, but I can't bring myself to use them when the game is penalizing me for playing the game like a baby.  It feels like when you die too many times in new Nintendo games and Funky Kong or whoever carries you through the level.  Except I think casting spells using hotkeys instead of preposterous button press combos is good game design and not something they should punish the player for.  I'm sure it's a fun game once you learn the stuff, but while I'd be willing to put plenty of time into learning the systems of the game, I have no interest whatsoever in memorizing spells.  

Yeah, there's intentionality to that design that only becomes clear when you play it as intended: in multiplayer. The element combinations are designed so that you forget, so that surprising and usually fatal chain reactions take place when there are four people all casting spells at once.

I was playing a good bit of MGS V before Fallout 4 came out, but I'm not feeling a particular need to go back and finish that game. I might pick at it once in a while, but at this point I feel like I "get it." Anybody else feel this way?

I was playing a good bit of MGS V before Fallout 4 came out, but I'm not feeling a particular need to go back and finish that game. I might pick at it once in a while, but at this point I feel like I "get it." Anybody else feel this way?

Nope, I'm about 3 hours (max) away from 100% that game. I needed a break from it since I played like 200 hours over the course of a month and a half. I just love the mechanics. They're so satisfying!

I can't decide whether to continue with Majora's Mask 3D. Having waited years to play it (and ten months since buying it for various reasons!) I can’t decide if I’m enjoying myself or not.

Basically I’ve done two dungeons and they’ve been really solid, everything I like about Zelda games. The rest of it, with the reliance on sidequests and the three-day cycle I think is a fantastic idea and absolutely no fun at all. I’ve dabbled – I did the Goron race, found it frustrating but won and knew what the prize was for. Couldn’t use it though as it was day three and it needs to be used on day one so I reset the cycle, lose the prize then have to fight a boss again (incidentally not a great one), do the shitty race again then make use of it. So I have a pretty rad item now but I’m not sure it was worth 20 minutes of my life, even if I was on a train and would probably just have wasted it anyway. I’ve never been a guy to do much of this in most games and certainly not Zelda ones.

In short – how fucked will I be if I ignore as much of the sidequesty stuff and mask collection as I can? I worry it might let me get to the last boss then turn into Jet Force Gemini and I’ll have wasted all that time.

I can't decide whether to continue with Majora's Mask 3D. Having waited years to play it (and ten months since buying it for various reasons!) I can’t decide if I’m enjoying myself or not.

I tried it out, played for a few hours, and then gave up on it.  It just wasn't my thing at all.  

I've been suffering from a bit of Zelda exhaustion.  By the time I stopped playing it, I had played 8 Zelda titles in 12 months.  I was pretty burnt out by the end of Skyward Sword, the final title before MM, but I needed something to play on my commute and a friend had the game.  

Absolutely nothing in MM clicked with me.  I hate the idea of the timer in the game; the very presence of a timer makes me experience in a game less enjoyable because of the inherent stress they present - not operating on my own schedule reduces my enjoyment unless it's for limited periods of time, like the timed sections in Super Metroid or Metroid Prime.  Anyway, I was blasting through the early part of the game, just messing around and doing whatever I wanted to explore, and the timer just about ran out before I even got into the first dungeon.  So, I reset the timer and promptly lost my progress and the stuff I'd picked up.  I had to re-do simple things in the game to get back to where I was, and it just felt like the antithesis of fun.  Games shouldn't be work, and that's all that MM felt like.

If it works for someone, then good for them, but good lord did I ever run out of patience with that game quickly.  I suppose it doesn't help that I'm a MUCH bigger fan of the 2D Zelda games than 3D.  

I similarly ran out of patience with Wind Waker last year.  Navigation was just getting to be a chore with having to stop and play the song to change the wind any time I want to change direction, and the fact that there was an element of luck in getting the fast sail that eliminates that requirement all combined for a quick death for that game.  I know that it's supposed to be great, and I don't begrudge anyone who loves it (obviously), but it just wasn't working for me.  I need a bit more direction.  Burying heart pieces or other important items behind these labourous side quests has been going on for a long time and I just can't abide.

I also recently quit Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag.  I tried so hard to get into that game (my first AC game), but it just didn't work for me.  I started and stopped and restarted that game three times and while it's an interesting setting, I just couldn't help but shake the idea that if I wanted to play a Ubisoft stealth action game, there's no universe where I'm not picking up Splinter Cell first.

I'm really not feeling it with Dangan Ronpa 2, I haven't reached the first murder and I'm groaning a lot. 

It's one thing to have the obligatory fanservice, but when a girl someone gets herself in some weird S&M tied up fetish... Ugh.

When I talked to her, she constantly asked me if she should take off her clothes... UGH!

I looked up the "Free Time" Guide and I found out you get PANTIES when you max out friendship UUUGHGGHHHHH!

Should I bother to continue? Does it get better or worse?

I think I'm done with Undertale. I played it for about an hour and a half, and while it's super charming, I get it now. Once I got what it was doing, I just found it to be a bit of a chore. So I'm done!

The mechanics are totally not the point of that game, they just serve the story pretty well. If you're charmed enough to see more story I encourage you to continue cause there's good stuff to the story up ahead.

(I'm getting deja vu so if I already said this or you just don't want to be compelled to continue then never mind this post!

But you still have to engage with the mechanics. If they're not the point, why are they there, and why are they so dull? I might give it another try if I have time.