Tanukitsune

Quitter's Club: Don't be ashamed to quit the game.

This is my 5th attempt to get through Amnesia. Once, I got past the water part and was too scared to continue. Every other time I failed at managing light resources and had to stop because I couldn't see.

I decided last night to quit playing Amnesia. I think I reached the halfway point of the game, and the scariness of the game kind of just disappeared. Without that I don't think the game is very fun. I think my biggest issue with the game is not having any options for fighting back. Having to run away constantly makes the game very tense, but after a while I realized I would just do the same thing over and over.

The Secret World. Yes I know it's an MMO and perpetuity is the goal of the gameplay. But it does have a story element, as most MMOs do, and I wanted to see it thru because I had heard very often how great it is. Supposedly. Well, it's not. The Secret World is the ultimate 'make me a pie' MMO. I mean... it's not literal pies, but the tasks you do and what they amount to seems to be so little. The pies are replaced with zombies.

The setting of the game is our world, as it is, but all mythical / paranormal shit you've ever heard of turns out to be real and something has happened to let it pour out in droves across the world. Or something. I thought that would be cool, but it turns out it's resulted in the game having no direction in its writing. It's shockingly bland, which sucks when you have access to so many great things. The most jarring thing to me, though, is that the spoken dialog from missions makes no sense. Literally shit like... a cop will tell you about some kittens he had as a kid getting drowned, then suddenly you have a short chain of missions about defending a police station from zombies. No connection at all. And the game is just full of shit like that from everything I've seen. It's almost as if the fade to black to take you out of mission start cutscenes is where the NPCs whisper, "oh by the way do this."

As far as its gameplay goes, it's actually like a reduced button WoW. And fits perfectly in line with how the Mists of Pandaria expansion for WoW played out, where most enemies you fought had a visual indicator for strong attacks they were performing. Step out of the way, and that's it. You're safe. It was boring in WoW and it is boring in TSW. I almost want to appreciate the way skills / abilities work out in this game, but it makes your strength ambiguous to measure, and some of the things like leveling your ability with shotguns give the lamest of returns. It uses flat numbers, but they are just a masked form of the 1 to 5 percent bullshit WoW and many other MMOs started out with. Which I have come to loathe.

I quit Kaiju-A-Go-Go, it had so much promise, but it has one fatal flaw, it's now really balances well. It's more or less where you have a secret island where you build a base to train you giant monster and send it to destroy cities and take over the world.

You gain more abilities to deal with the military forces you encounter, but where it really messes up is with the cities themselves, they just bigger and bigger. Sure there are some attacks that let you destroy smaller buildings quicker, but the only way to conquer a city is to lower it's morale, which lowers slower the bigger the city is, it goes down a little faster it you kill civilians, but... there really isn't a way to deal with them quickly. I had attacks to deal with humans, but they weren't worth using with their slow cooldown and effectiveness.

You can retreat if you want to recover, but somehow the city rebuilds within days making it ridiculous. I quit when I realized I was powerful enough to not bother with the enemies and all I could do was walk all over a giant city slowly... section by section.

On the other side, they military can find your island and attack it and not only are powerless to do anything. They really didn't think through this part. When I built walls I found myself TRAPPED inside incapable of attacking the enemy.

If I didn't like kaiju movies so much, I would have quit sooner, it was hard for me to admit I wasn't enjoying it until it crashed mid-conquest. Right now, I'm remembering even more things that bothered me, but I think I've said enough. 

Bought and played a bunch of Read Only Memories today. Quit when the resolution of the game became a bullshit minigame. Don't care about the story enough to try more than twice especially when I have to sit through repeated slow ass dialogue. Fuck you ROM.

The Secret World.

The most jarring thing to me, though, is that the spoken dialog from missions makes no sense. Literally shit like... a cop will tell you about some kittens he had as a kid getting drowned, then suddenly you have a short chain of missions about defending a police station from zombies. No connection at all. And the game is just full of shit like that from everything I've seen. It's almost as if the fade to black to take you out of mission start cutscenes is where the NPCs whisper, "oh by the way do this."

See, the thing I liked about those was that people weren't actually giving you missions most of the time, because obviously you're just an innocent caught up in this strange circumstance, representative for a shadowy organisation, me? You must be mistaken. The questline you get is your character deciding to do something based on what they said, so they'll talk about the monsters outside, and then you'll go, huh, I can do something about this, and then you do that.

If the opening cutscenes irritate you, though, you will not find anything worth your time in it. The build system is clearly inspired by Guild Wars 1, with the wide array of powers you boil down to a limited deck of abilities, but every weapon type plays more or less the same and the combat is pretty clunky even in a genre known for its clunky combat.

It's time to say goodbye to Red Dead Redemption, I think. It's damn lovely - it still looks great, but GTA is so clunky. I went to buy the deed to a hut for some dude and when I returned there was a bird circling above then nearby rock. I aimed my gun and the guy went crazy, started shooting at me. I failed the mission, was told my outlaw status had changed or something. Nuts to this.

It's time to say goodbye to Red Dead Redemption, I think. It's damn lovely - it still looks great, but GTA is so clunky. I went to buy the deed to a hut for some dude and when I returned there was a bird circling above then nearby rock. I aimed my gun and the guy went crazy, started shooting at me. I failed the mission, was told my outlaw status had changed or something. Nuts to this.

That's a real pity! Try and stick with it! It's a fantastic game.

Having said that, I am very close to giving up on Assassin's Creed Black Flag. I'm not that far in, but I just ignored a mission to go off exploring and have fun, and when I logged back in the next day I was back at my checkpoint as if nothing had happened because I didn't plunder 70 metal.

I am considering persevering, but Jesus Christ on a bike I find this infuriating. Maybe I've become more of a PC guy or maybe it's just that I don't have much time to play games but it really seems like Assassin's Creed games expect about twelve hours of tutorials before you're allowed to just play. It's very aggressive in laying out those parameters too. I just want to play a game. I gave up on Assassin's Creed III early despite the fact I was interested in the theme. May do the same thing with Black Flag, despite the potential promise of piracy.

Having said that, I am very close to giving up on Assassin's Creed Black Flag. I'm not that far in, but I just ignored a mission to go off exploring and have fun, and when I logged back in the next day I was back at my checkpoint as if nothing had happened because I didn't plunder 70 metal.

I am considering persevering, but Jesus Christ on a bike I find this infuriating. Maybe I've become more of a PC guy or maybe it's just that I don't have much time to play games but it really seems like Assassin's Creed games expect about twelve hours of tutorials before you're allowed to just play. It's very aggressive in laying out those parameters too. I just want to play a game. I gave up on Assassin's Creed III early despite the fact I was interested in the theme. May do the same thing with Black Flag, despite the potential promise of piracy.

Once you start a mission, you pretty much have to complete it or else you'll lose progress. Where Black Flag suffers is that they don't always make it obvious when a mission has ended, versus just moving on to the next step. If you can get past the tutorial bits, it becomes a little clearer. And yes, that game ads new mechanics for way too long. The diving bell doesn't even show up until you're half way through the story.

I liked it anyway, but I haven't played an Assassin's Creed game since the first one so I wasn't as tired of the Ubisoft mechanics as a lot of folks.

Really close to calling it quits on Galak-Z... which is like super sad cause I was really looking forward to enjoying it.

I just can't get behind the control scheme.  It's not that I want a twin stick shooter (but why does the game have strafe? erm), I have played a game with more restrictive move-aim synced game that gave me lot better control via mouse.

Having said that, I am very close to giving up on Assassin's Creed Black Flag.

Strange - just finished Black Flag! It took some effort, and it was my first AC but, yeah. The objectives got monotonous but the feeling of running up behind some poor guards and shnikity-shnicking them never got old.

I admire Red Dead so much for the scope and how every last nook looks like John Ford framed it. If the controls could match the atmosphere, it would be the greatest game ever made. But as with every GTA, it just doesn't click with me. I'm really interested to try MGS V - everybody says it plays like a dream. Black Flag wasn't perfect but I could work with it. Red Dead pissed me off one too many times.

Edit. My tip for Black Flag would be to stick to the narrative for as long as possible. I added a good few hours to my playthrough by investigating diving sites and other things I couldn't actually access for ages.

Really close to calling it quits on Galak-Z... which is like super sad cause I was really looking forward to enjoying it.

I just can't get behind the control scheme.  It's not that I want a twin stick shooter (but why does the game have strafe? erm), I have played a game with more restrictive move-aim synced game that gave me lot better control via mouse.

Same with me.Just not a fan of the flight controls. I had the same problem trying to play Luftrausers last year. Really wanted to like both of those games, but I stopped an hour in because of the controls. With BoI: Afterbirth out too, I put down Galak-Z.

I keep thinking about quitting Read Only Memories and get mad all over again about what a terrible design choice the climax of that game is.

YES. I'VE DIED TWO OR THREE TIMES AND I AM VERY MAD ABOUT IT AND DON'T THINK I WILL EVER GO BACK

(those caps are intentional)

Was it at the shooting part or the maze? I think in the maze you're just supposed to survive until the killer stops talking, then Turing will think of a plan? I did it on my first try by blocking and trying to be as far from him as possible, but he seemed to break way too many walls when he wanted to get to me.

the maze part. that's also what i tried to do but I had a hard time predicting his movement and he would break through walls and get me regardless of how well I thought I had planned it out. I figured you just had to outlast his large chunks of dialogue but I wasn't able to do that on two attempts and was tired of clicking through the same thing over and quit.

Remember to not lock him in, if there are too many walls around him he'll just smash them, leave a path for him to wander and try to lead him away from you.

Just beat Read Only Memories tonight with advice that may help the quitters out there:

Do what Tanukitsune said.  I was surprised that it worked, but it seems that if the killer isn't trapped, he won't bust down a wall.  Or maybe I just got lucky?

They said on twitter they're adding in quick skip of previously read dialogue in a future patch. I'll go back maybe when they do that.

Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham.

This is my second attempt at a Lego game and it is as bad as the last one in terms of plodding play. It is even worse in terms of direction especially for an inexperienced player. My partner really struggled with it as she was forever missing prompts, jumps and struggled with the multi-suit feature. It didn't help that she and I both found the music really stressful.

Have deleted it from my backlog and my hard drive and I don't think I will ever play another Lego game.

I've come to terms with the fact that I'm never going to be good enough at Luftrausers to unlock the last few Achievements and challenges, so I guess I'm "quitting" it in the sense of trying to progress in it. (That doesn't mean I'm not going to give it a few minutes of time every so often casually, though. Just that all the designs I find most fun to fly are the ones I don't have anything left to unlock with...)

I'm quitting The World Ends With You. I just have no idea what I'm doing. I really wanted to like it, I enjoyed the art style and the story seemed fairly interesting. I just disliked the "adventure game" style puzzles. Go here talk to this person who knows how to fix this so you can go back and talk to this other person...I just hate that kind of thing.

Also the combat. When I concentrated and planned I got like D/C ranks. When I spammed the buttons and waggled the stylus all over the place with my eyes closed I'd get S ranks. That's not fun nor interesting.