Tanukitsune

Quitter's Club: Don't be ashamed to quit the game.

Like the one with the "scatter bombs", why would I even use it as an upgrade when it does 50% less damage?

Because (if I recall correctly), when you combine it with dash, it drops bombs at every dash, and you just dashdashdash around everywhere and then everything's dead and mmmmmmmmm

i love that game

Mostly, I found the good starting synergies in Transistor were combining a function which would mask+jaunt with a function that did backstab damage (and preferably something with Crash() ). That's how you most effectively do big damage, usually. (Although, honestly, I tried a bunch of different approaches, and all of them seemed somewhat usable except Load(), which I never got the hang of using as mines or whatever).

Oh man, Load() was my favourite. I liked using Get(Bounce()) to bring a bunch of enemies close, set up with Load() and then trigger the packet with Ping(). So much fun.

Yeah, you get upgrades as new functions, but you never get something like "do 25% more damage", as I got more functions many of them never seem to "stack" in a satisfactory way and always have to take away some power to use the upgrades' one. 

Like the one with the "scatter bombs", why would I even use it as an upgrade when it does 50% less damage?

I really loved the first times I visited the beach, it was perfect how the first challenges seems to teach me how to use powers effectively, but eventually they became too much of a hassle for just a few XP.

As for where I was in the game? I was in some library, trying to get something to open a locked door.

As I noticed the enemies just had more HP, shields and cloaking and I still had the same HP I had at the start (or at least it feels that way), it really annoyed me, yes, I could deal with these enemies and get those powers, but... It just stopped feeling rewarding and it looked like the enemy could use their powers for longer than me.

Hmm... if you're interested, you could show me what functions you've got and I could tell you how to get some more work out of them. There are definitely ways to just add more damage to things, or increase your own resistance. Crash(), for instance, gives you damage resistance when applied as a passive effect. The reason for using things like Spark() to split attacks is that often enemies clump together, so you want to hit a bunch at once (especially if applying a secondary effect to them like Crash() or Purge()). Also, sometimes you just want to kill enemies quickly because their weak, so doing less damage isn't a big deal.

That said, if you're just outright done with the game, that's fine.

Because (if I recall correctly), when you combine it with dash, it drops bombs at every dash, and you just dashdashdash around everywhere and then everything's dead and mmmmmmmmm

This is true, and especially good when you add on Purge() because then each explosion also sends out parasites that attack enemies for you. It's amazing.

This is true, and especially good when you add on Purge() because then each explosion also sends out parasites that attack enemies for you. It's amazing.

Yes it is amazing!

I want another game that uses this kind of system.

(While I'm at it I also loved experimenting with Bastion's weapon combinations, which is weird I guess because often people's biggest complaint with that game is that the combat was too samey throughout and I'm just like "did you never bother to switch weapons?")

Hmm, I think I have those functions, I might try them later, but I still kinda have a "bad taste" in my mouth, if that makes any sense.

I really liked Bastion's weapon system too, although I never felt as in control of whether or not my loadout was good as I did in Transistor. That's probably because of the real-time nature of Bastion, since it was less clear whether my loadout was bad or I was bad. That said, I loooovvvved the Flame Bellows. I think the two loadouts I used the most were Scrap Musket/War Machete and Flame Bellows/Breaker's Bow.

I really liked Bastion's weapon system too, although I never felt as in control of whether or not my loadout was good as I did in Transistor. That's probably because of the real-time nature of Bastion, since it was less clear whether my loadout was bad or I was bad.

That's part of the reason I liked Bastion over Transistor.  If your loadout wasn't suited well to the situation, you could still deal with it using skillful play.  In Transistor, I felt like if I had a bad loadout in a given situation I was fairly screwed.  That's part of what made me not want to try out other functions.

I don't think it's fair to say(/imply) you can't deal with Transistor's challenges with skillful play.

I'll backup Tanukitsune.  I never finished it either.  I really like Supergiant (Bastion is one of my favorite games ever and probably my favorite soundtrack) and I love all the artistic elements of the game like the visuals, sound, and storytelling.  I just... really hated playing it.  Part of that is my own personal tastes because I don't enjoy turn based games very much but the hybrid of turn based and real time felt very frustrating to me.  I felt like most of the time playing was running around aimlessly dodging while waiting for a cooldown timer.  I didn't find a use for most of the functions I was getting because I never felt a need to try new combinations.  I like the mechanic of positioning affecting combat (one of my favorite parts of Chrono Trigger's combat) but the movement never felt good to me and I feel like I had to fiddle with it too much in order to get the result I wanted.

It's such a shame because I really, REALLY wanted to like Transistor.  I don't think the game is bad, it just didn't click with me the way Bastion did.

I beat the game and liked it all right, but I didn't love it as a follow-up to Bastion, my favorite game of whatever year it came out. I think the blend of turn based and action you mention similarly didn't hit it off for me. I think I would have liked it better were it to go all turn-based or all action rather than trying to straddle the line. That's really strange as I remember loving Parasite Eve back in the day, and it runs a very similar hybrid system.

I don't think it's fair to say(/imply) you can't deal with Transistor's challenges with skillful play.

Skillful is probably a poor word choice on my part.  What I meant by that was that in Transistor my ability to get through an encounter was really tied to what functions I had equipped (or more specifically what functions I didn't have), whereas in Bastion I never felt that limitation.  While I certainly had weapon combinations I preferred, I never really had a problem getting through Bastion based solely on my weapon choice and I definitely had that problem at times in Transistor.

Woah, did that loadout make a difference! And now I got "void"? Yay! OK, I think I'm in. XP

Hooray!  A budding convert!

I wish I had a better memory of what all things I enjoyed using.  I know that I tried to take in at least one new combination to every single battle, because there are so many to try.  NG+ is interesting as well, as you begin to get copies of existing functions, which let you do some interesting combinations that aren't possible in the original playthrough, though I never got very deep into NG+.   I know I found the Help() function fascinating since it has such a radical different purpose depending on how it is used. 

I kinda don't know what to say, that loadouy practically breaks the game, but from that point all you fight are "men", which are super annoying even with that game breaking loadout. The game is still annoying from this point, but at least I got to see the ending, which was pretty good?

Skillful is probably a poor word choice on my part.  What I meant by that was that in Transistor my ability to get through an encounter was really tied to what functions I had equipped (or more specifically what functions I didn't have), whereas in Bastion I never felt that limitation.  While I certainly had weapon combinations I preferred, I never really had a problem getting through Bastion based solely on my weapon choice and I definitely had that problem at times in Transistor.

Wouldn't that encourage you to experiment more? It's not like Transistor is stingy in that regard - you get a chance to change your loadout after pretty much every fight.

I kinda don't know what to say, that loadouy practically breaks the game, but from that point all you fight are "men", which are super annoying even with that game breaking loadout. The game is still annoying from this point, but at least I got to see the ending, which was pretty good?

I don't know if "breaks the game" is really accurate. You can certainly still run into trouble playing like that, especially, as you say, against Men. Fetches are also troublesome. But also, most of the fun of the game is that are a bunch of different loadouts that feel extremely powerful. 

I quit Guild of Dungeoneering. The gameplay is just too brainless, and while it's asking you to make decisions fairly frequently, they're all trivially easy decisions. There's usually an objectively correct card to play, and it's always really easy to figure out what that card is. I make maybe one real decision per minute, and spending the rest of the time making trivial deductions about the best card to play is awfully dull.

Wouldn't that encourage you to experiment more? It's not like Transistor is stingy in that regard - you get a chance to change your loadout after pretty much every fight.

The problem is that once something worked, I had little reason to stop using it.  Every time I tried to experiment I'd usually end up with worse results so I felt discouraged to keep trying that.  If I have to keep changing after every fight to make it work, it stops being fun for me.  In Bastion, I'd keep a weapon combo going through the entire level so I'd get lots of use out if it before switching to something else.

Haha, Tberton turning this thread into getting you back into the game you just quit. I love it.

I'm not faulting anyone, but it's moments like this that make me hesitate to report my own latest entries into the Quitter's Club. If I've quit a game, I have damn good reasons and I really don't want to be guilted into laying them aside, even by the rational objections of other Thumbs.

Oh, I didn't mean to guilt anyone. Like I said, I don't blame anybody for quitting a game they don't enjoy. I just really love Transistor and was befuddled by how mixed the reaction to it was, so I'm always interested to know why people didn't end up liking it.

Also, Tanukitsune seemed pretty hesitant about quitting the game, which is why I offered my help. Had the original post been a more definitive quitting statement, I probably wouldn't have barged in.

Oh, I didn't mean to guilt anyone. Like I said, I don't blame anybody for quitting a game they don't enjoy. I just really love Transistor and was befuddled by how mixed the reaction to it was, so I'm always interested to know why people didn't end up liking it.

Also, Tanukitsune seemed pretty hesitant about quitting the game, which is why I offered my help. Had the original post been a more definitive quitting statement, I probably wouldn't have barged in.

Haha, I'm not blaming you. I just quit good games all the time, despite being a compulsive completionist, and so I cringe a bit whenever I see someone else get talked around, however good the outcome there.

I quit Divinity: Original Sin, at least for now. Complaint time:

• The most help you ever get in figuring out where to go is a compass direction. "OK, let's wander the entire northern section of the map until we find a cave..."
  • You're essentially screwed if you try to fight enemies who are above your level, which is hell while exploring because enemies pop out of nowhere.
  • Oh my god, the camera. The game doesn't allow you to zoom out very far, so even though it's a top-down perspective, structures on the map are very close to the camera, which makes looking around just very nauseating for me. Plus, you just don't get to see very much at a time which sucks when you're trying to figure out where to go.

It's a shame, because I like the combat system a lot, and the ability to do co-op is really cool.

Pillars of Eternity crashed over a hundred times for me, and I think it's finally crashed its last.  Here's what I just posted in the official forums:

I have been playing Pillars of Eternity for months like this on my 2013 MacBook Pro.  I walk to a new area, the program crashes, I restart it and continue from the autosave into the next area.  Sometimes I got lucky and PoE stayed open from one area to the next—if I made it through one transition without crashing the following transitions in the same session would usually work—but most playing sessions consisted upon crash after crash. 

None of the suggested workarounds made any difference: typing msaa 0 into the console, trying to search for a GPU option on the system that doesn't exist, syncing and unsyncing Steam saves.

But I kept playing.  Until tonight.  I am at what I assume is close to the end of the game and I am expected to jump from one area into another with a text transition in between.  But the game does not autosave in the new area; it saves right where I was.

So I jump into the pit, the game crashes, I jump again, it crashes again, and unlike all my previous crashes I don't get into the next area.

I'm sad; this seems to be the end of Pillars of Eternity for me!

Haha, I'm not blaming you. I just quit good games all the time, despite being a compulsive completionist, and so I cringe a bit whenever I see someone else get talked around, however good the outcome there.

That's funny, because usually if I take the time to post here, half the reason is to see if someone can turn me around on a game.  If I know I'm sure I'm done with something, it just gets deleted from my hard drive and I move onto the next game.

That's funny, because usually if I take the time to post here, half the reason is to see if someone can turn me around on a game.  If I know I'm sure I'm done with something, it just gets deleted from my hard drive and I move onto the next game.

I guess we're different people! When I'm really frustrated with a game to the point that I'm quitting, I usually come here to let everything out and clear my palette. I've been lucky enough not to have had anything nearly that bad for months now, but then I haven't been playing as much, either.

Honestly, I really hadn't thought about some people preferring to not have any attempt to make them reconsider a game, since its not how I've treated this thread. It's useful to know for future posting here.