Tanukitsune

Quitter's Club: Don't be ashamed to quit the game.

Eets Munchies, another game I wouldn't play through if it was on a Flash portal, but it was part of some bundle so now I own it. With the added bonus of it not even registering mouse clicks properly. The game requires you to drag objects around to solve puzzles, except that you have to click and drag an inch below the actual objects to move them. No thanks!

I know this was a while ago, but it is not necessary to get all the stars to get the true ending. The true ending occurs either when you get all the Tetris pieces, or when you climb the center tower, depending on which end you want.

The bonus you get by getting all the stars is nifty, but not what I'd call a "true" ending.

Edit - This was for Talos Principle, by the way.

I just quit Ghost Recon: Future Soldier after failing a rather poorly designed mission I just decided to stop trying to enjoy the game. If they had taken the concept of soldiers with crazy future tech and the big, multipath maps from earlier games it would have been a much better game. The gameplay is solid, but is way too close to a corridor shooter for my liking I did like the ability to mark targets for a coordinated attack by you and your team. I have hopes that Ghost Recon Wildlands will be a far better game. 

I really wish I could continue, but I'm quitting After Burner: Black Falcon, it didn't bother me that much when they just started to recycle stages and make them longer and harder, until I reached an ice level where things were just unfair.

I have to constantly dodge enemy fire, but I can't attack while I'm rolling and now not only do I have to face different mid-bosses at the same time, the moment I start shooting one a bomber comes from behind and takes half of my health before it's even in my aim sight. To top things off, not only does it have very hard to dodge ice barriers, getting through them while dodging enemy fire is just too much, I either crash or get gunned down.  :tdown:

It was probably more of a matter of my own incompetency than poor game design but I ended up quitting Hitman: Blood Money recently. I was really enjoying it because I like stealth games and it handles stealth so much differently from other games I've played but I quit about halfway through (the stage with the christmas theme) and will probably never go back. When I first started the game I chose the normal difficulty and noticed that it said I could only save 7 times. I wasn't sure if that meant for the entire game or per stage (it's per stage) so I just made a habit of making it through each stage without saving and developed a habit where I would select "restart" and then "yes" when it asked "restarting when delete your save, are you sure you want to restart?". So I really hit a wall at this stage and decided to make my life easier by starting to save right before key moments, such as an assassination attempt, but restarting was so ingrained in my head that I would just end up deleting my save. This happened once or twice and I groaned but was early enough in the stage that I just went with it. Eventually I made it pretty far in the stage, failed, restarted and deleted my save, screamed, and closed the game to never open it back up again. 

The earlier stages in Blood Money created some pretty memorable college moments playing with dorm buddies, but I tend to gloss over in my mind how difficult some of the last stages were. If there weren't three of us trading off, there's no way I'd have made it through.

The earlier stages in Blood Money created some pretty memorable college moments playing with dorm buddies, but I tend to gloss over in my mind how difficult some of the last stages were. If there weren't three of us trading off, there's no way I'd have made it through.

I was in High school and would compare strategies daily with another kid at my school. So if either one of us was stuck, we would figure it out during study hall.

Yeah it can be so hard in spots, especially since how open ended it is makes it so overwhelming if you're used to more linear stealth games. It honestly took me a while to get a handle on it and then even then it's a game that's very easy to get stuck in. Playing with friends sounds excellent though maybe i'll restart it with my roommate soon. 

I quit XCOM: Enemy Within again. This most recent run brought me to 205 hours played with the game and its expansion, and in all that time I've only made it to the end once. That was on Normal Ironman, in the base game. The little bugs and unfairnesses of this game drive me up the damn wall with this game, for no reason more so than that I guess I'm just addicted to its core gameplay and can't help but perpetually reinstall it just to fail it on some bullshit yet again.

This is the second time I hit the same stopping point on the Enemy Within expansion and it's the poorest design decision in the game, in my opinion. At a random point after the normal story mission of assaulting the alien base, your HQ gets invaded and you're forced to defend against several waves of maximum strength enemies with a handful of your soldiers which you don't choose. The problem being, of course, that if you play like a reasonable person these soldiers will be wearing their basic equipment and be using assault rifles which do, like, four hit points of damage per turn against enemies with ten times that. Again, I stress, this mission occurs at a random time, and you do not get to choose your party. If either of these things were changed, there would be no problem, but instead the only solution would be to keep your entire barracks outfitted with your best equipment (i.e., procure enough resources to have everyone in Titan Armor and Plasma Rifles) just in case!

The first time I got as far as this mission I rage quit as soon as I failed. This most recent second attempt, I thought that I might finally have things in hand, as I'd only just noticed a new option to strip all non-active party members of equipment at the touch of a button had been added to the party select screen. I thought that somehow, this might give me an edge because I could therefore stop what I was previously doing - going through the Barracks menu after every mission and unequipping every soldier manually - assuring me that my most recently used and therefore active party would always be the ones who were combat-ready. As a matter of fact, this new option, specifically added with Enemy Within, in retrospect completely fucked me since the people I started the base defense mission with weren't even part of my active party anyway.

If you bother searching for help or commiseration about this massive problem, all you get are apologists explaining why this is your own fault and that the mission makes sense due to the fucking lore.

The lore of XCOM.

Seeing that I was completely screwed, I tried to Ctrl+Alt+Del out of the game (since I always play on Ironman) and I guess, for the first time ever, I did so while the game was auto-saving, even though I was sure I did not see the icon - because every attempt I made to load my save thereafter resulted in the game crashing. So, I quit this stupid, shitty fucking game, again. And I can't wait for XCOM 2.

Here's the last achievement I got in Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut before running into a game-breaking bug that kept the scripted doors from opening which, after thirty-seven hours' playtime, would have finally led me to Megan:

neverstopglitching.png

Does it count as quitting a game if you beat the final boss, then the game crashes and you don't bother reloading to see the final cutscene? If so, I quit The Witcher (1). I had fun with the game, it just went on too long and I got burned out before I finished. The combat wasn't complex enough to remain exciting after however many dozen hours, and partway through chapter 5 I had gotten so disengaged that I had stopped bothering to loot bodies (and partly because the economy did a bad job of continuing to incentivize it). The game also got pretty unbalanced by the end: I got enough accuracy that I could hit Fast enemies with the Strong attack (dealing way more damage than intended), and a max-rank stun spell allowed me to one-shot the final miniboss.

Very few games have enough weird stuff I like a lot in them enough for me to finish most games, much less play them to completion.

I remember 100%ing Saints Row 4 twice because that game rules, and getting all 120 stars in the first Mario Galaxy like 5 times

I quit Valiant Hearts, the game suffers from what I call the "AAA slog", a.k.a. making the game longer because "short games sucks".

I almost quit after a gruelingly long and repetitive level, but Anna the medic changed the gameplay a bit, even though I hated her rhythm mini-game, but it even felt forced and shoehorned. At least I managed to reach the point where you dodge cars that move to notes of the Can-Can tune. 

If it weren't for Rayman and a few of their indie titles, I'd say Ubisoft is a bit dead to me? Well, most AAA companies are dead to me lately.

I quit XCOM: Enemy Within again. This most recent run brought me to 205 hours played with the game and its expansion, and in all that time I've only made it to the end once. That was on Normal Ironman, in the base game. The little bugs and unfairnesses of this game drive me up the damn wall with this game, for no reason more so than that I guess I'm just addicted to its core gameplay and can't help but perpetually reinstall it just to fail it on some bullshit yet again.

This is the second time I hit the same stopping point on the Enemy Within expansion and it's the poorest design decision in the game, in my opinion. At a random point after the normal story mission of assaulting the alien base, your HQ gets invaded and you're forced to defend against several waves of maximum strength enemies with a handful of your soldiers which you don't choose. The problem being, of course, that if you play like a reasonable person these soldiers will be wearing their basic equipment and be using assault rifles which do, like, four hit points of damage per turn against enemies with ten times that. Again, I stress, this mission occurs at a random time, and you do not get to choose your party. If either of these things were changed, there would be no problem, but instead the only solution would be to keep your entire barracks outfitted with your best equipment (i.e., procure enough resources to have everyone in Titan Armor and Plasma Rifles) just in case!

The first time I got as far as this mission I rage quit as soon as I failed. This most recent second attempt, I thought that I might finally have things in hand, as I'd only just noticed a new option to strip all non-active party members of equipment at the touch of a button had been added to the party select screen. I thought that somehow, this might give me an edge because I could therefore stop what I was previously doing - going through the Barracks menu after every mission and unequipping every soldier manually - assuring me that my most recently used and therefore active party would always be the ones who were combat-ready. As a matter of fact, this new option, specifically added with Enemy Within, in retrospect completely fucked me since the people I started the base defense mission with weren't even part of my active party anyway.

If you bother searching for help or commiseration about this massive problem, all you get are apologists explaining why this is your own fault and that the mission makes sense due to the fucking lore.

The lore of XCOM.

Seeing that I was completely screwed, I tried to Ctrl+Alt+Del out of the game (since I always play on Ironman) and I guess, for the first time ever, I did so while the game was auto-saving, even though I was sure I did not see the icon - because every attempt I made to load my save thereafter resulted in the game crashing. So, I quit this stupid, shitty fucking game, again. And I can't wait for XCOM 2.

You're probably going to be really angry. But if you'd just finished failing, it would give you an option to re-try. This mission and the final mission are repeatable, even on Ironman.

You're probably going to be really angry. But if you'd just finished failing, it would give you an option to re-try. This mission and the final mission are repeatable, even on Ironman.

I'm aware of this, but retrying only takes you back to beginning of the mission - as in, not far back enough to change any equipment or anything to solve the actual problem.

I guess I had more patience or better luck or something. I made it through after 3 tries at it. It's a pretty crappy mission. I recall throwing a lot of grenades and then hiding in small spaces hoping not to get killed.

I'll say one thing for the Talos Principal: the vast majority of the puzzles they made are good to great. There's only a couple that leap out at me that are bad (ie: i know exactly how to solve them and its just a a pain to do it).

That said, even with 18 hours played and only a couple puzzles left in the main 3 temples, I think i might be done with it. To get the proper ending you have to find all the hidden bonus stars, and there are too many around that I know will be a huge pain in the ass and I don't want to bother.

I looked up that ending after getting the other two and it seems to just be a bonus little thing for people who were really dedicated to getting all of the stars. The "proper" ending seems to be the one you get for

getting to the top of the tower

I don't know how to say this, but... I quit Transistor.

The enemies are just getting bigger health bars and more annoying and I don't feel stronger, not to mention I got a bad case of thinking I was close to end only to find out it was much further away than I thought.

:getmecoat

I'm so disappointed in you Tanukitsune.  Transistor was easily at the top of my list of favorite games last year, I remain perplexed how incredibly divisive it was in the experiences people had with it. 

I'm so disappointed in you Tanukitsune.  Transistor was easily at the top of my list of favorite games last year, I remain perplexed how incredibly divisive it was in the experiences people had with it. 

Agreed. I love the combat and the progression system, so I'm saddened when it doesn't hit for other people.

Can I ask, Tanukitsune, why you don't feel like you're getting stronger? You should be gaining access to new functions and more memory at a pretty good pace, which increases your damage output and survivability a ton.

As for the length, where are you? Transistor is not a particularly long game, so you might be closer to the end than you think.

I'll backup Tanukitsune.  I never finished it either.  I really like Supergiant (Bastion is one of my favorite games ever and probably my favorite soundtrack) and I love all the artistic elements of the game like the visuals, sound, and storytelling.  I just... really hated playing it.  Part of that is my own personal tastes because I don't enjoy turn based games very much but the hybrid of turn based and real time felt very frustrating to me.  I felt like most of the time playing was running around aimlessly dodging while waiting for a cooldown timer.  I didn't find a use for most of the functions I was getting because I never felt a need to try new combinations.  I like the mechanic of positioning affecting combat (one of my favorite parts of Chrono Trigger's combat) but the movement never felt good to me and I feel like I had to fiddle with it too much in order to get the result I wanted.

It's such a shame because I really, REALLY wanted to like Transistor.  I don't think the game is bad, it just didn't click with me the way Bastion did.

I totally understand those complaints. For me, though, I just loved trying out new functions, combining them in creative ways and trying to figure out how to best employ them in combat. I loved the pace of the combat, switching being being hugely powerful and powerless. The only complaints I had were that the controls were a bit fiddly, the UI could have been better and I wish the game had been somewhat less linear. Other than that, I think it's just about perfect.

I think my ideal JRPG would have Transistor's upgrades and combat, Chrono Trigger's multi-character combos and Skies of Arcadia's ship battles and setting.

I think that the turn-based control is really a significant difference in the feel of Transistor v Bastion (personally, I'm the precise opposite of SecretAsianMan, in that I hated Bastion's realtime controls, but loved Transistor).

Agreed. I love the combat and the progression system, so I'm saddened when it doesn't hit for other people.

Can I ask, Tanukitsune, why you don't feel like you're getting stronger? You should be gaining access to new functions and more memory at a pretty good pace, which increases your damage output and survivability a ton.

As for the length, where are you? Transistor is not a particularly long game, so you might be closer to the end than you think.

Yeah, you get upgrades as new functions, but you never get something like "do 25% more damage", as I got more functions many of them never seem to "stack" in a satisfactory way and always have to take away some power to use the upgrades' one. 

Like the one with the "scatter bombs", why would I even use it as an upgrade when it does 50% less damage?

I really loved the first times I visited the beach, it was perfect how the first challenges seems to teach me how to use powers effectively, but eventually they became too much of a hassle for just a few XP.

As for where I was in the game? I was in some library, trying to get something to open a locked door.

As I noticed the enemies just had more HP, shields and cloaking and I still had the same HP I had at the start (or at least it feels that way), it really annoyed me, yes, I could deal with these enemies and get those powers, but... It just stopped feeling rewarding and it looked like the enemy could use their powers for longer than me.

I recently quit ActRasier not because I hated it or because it got too hard but because I felt like I saw all I wanted to see. The sim part of the game was so cool and I loved seeing the little differences between each city but as soon as I got to the last action stage and realized it was fucking boss rush I just like lost interest completely.