Tanukitsune

Quitter's Club: Don't be ashamed to quit the game.

I remember when I first played FTL and got hosed like 10 times on that flagship to the point of frustration, my thought was "this is like a Star Trek game where the whole game you're fighting Romulans and Klingons, but then the final boss is a Borg Tactical cube that you can't run away from like they always do in the show".

The funny thing is, I think I did approach the game from your point of view more. FTL, for most of the time I've been obsessed with it (remember, this is a game I've put 200 hours into), has been about ship combat to me. But the more I've played, the more I've recognized that there's other stuff there that the Flagship runs counter to. For instance, there's a huge benefit to upgrading your Medbay, Oxygen, Doors, Piloting and Sensors for the normal game, because a lot of blue options for events require that. But upgrading those systems for the Flagship is much less useful, except to soak up damage.

The more I think about it though, the more I think the problems with the Flagship are intertwined with the rest of the game. Maybe I'll make a "how I would redesign FTL" post later.

Door and piloting systems are very useful (as far as subsystems can be) against flagship though.  I think medbay gave lot of blues so if you can afford it, lvl 2 early on more than pays for itself so it indirectly contributes to flagship.  Oxygen is just really bad overall, didn't even know there were events for that?

But anyways these are all secondaries that have marginal use compared to main systems (shield-weapon-power) in every combat aspect of the game (the blue option benefit you mention is distinctively out of combat benefit) so it's only expected that they remain so for the last fight.  I'm interested in what your thoughts are on how the main combat aspect conflicts from main game to flagship.

I've mentioned it several times in this thread but I promise this will be the last.  For those people who didn't like the final boss but liked everything else, I really recommend the Infinite Space mod.  It entirely removes the rebel fleet so there's no time pressure and no end boss.  Instead of Battlestar Galactica you get Star Trek.  It reworks some things to try and keep it balanced (to varying degrees of success) such as the encounters and equipment.  Each sector also features a mini-boss that's like a single stage of the final boss from the regular game.  For me, it was pretty much exactly what I wanted the game to be in the first place and I enjoyed the heck out of it.

I got through it in co-op, but it was not nearly as good of an experience as I was hoping it would be.

Glad I'm not the only one to feel that way. The controls and floatiness of the jumps hurt it a lot too.

Never alone was not a very good game, but was interesting for the culture it represents. I managed to finish it, but it was really frustrating in some parts, especially because it doesn't communicate a lot of things very well. I think the forest was the worst offender for everything in this game. Things that looked like they could be used were unusable, or completely useless in their usage.

There's a couple of dozen video clips about Alaska, the native culture, weather and wildlife that are all pretty interesting.  It's a shame that you have to unlock all of them, as I quite enjoyed going through and watching them (missed one though and couldn't be bothered to go back and get it). 

I never watched many of the video clips. That was actually my biggest problem with the game, it was billed as presenting a relatively unknown culture in the form of a game, but really, it's a bunch of youtube videos stuck on a shit platformer. 

Ah, here it is!

Also, I quit "Leviathan: The Last Day of the Decade", a visual novel/adventure set in a world of magic and science, but not only does the game crash a lot, I want to punch all the characters in the face and is pretty heavy handed.

In the first chapter, you see the characters as spoiled brats and they don't seem to change much. At the end of the chapter, at the end, you swear vengeance for a murder you witness, the person who kills your mother adopts you, you have a magical demon and... This doesn't make sense anymore, even if the "hero" wanted to know WHY his mother was murdered, you have a magical demon at your disposal that can literally smell secrets and lies.

The game crashed soon after this, thankfully. It does kinda suck that one of the few non-anime influenced visual novels isn't that good. 

I quit two games. The Swapper and Crimson Shroud. Swapper was just not my cup of tea, I'm not really into puzzle games that much. It's got a nice idea though.

Crimson Shroud I bought because I heard from a lot of sources that it's a good game for the price. Nah, games don't get good if they're cheap, they just feel like less of a waste when they suck. Crimson shroud is not fun. The combat is slow and uninteresting, he environment is pretty bland along with weird character designs, and you have to keep wandering around aimlessly to find the right place to go. The narrative is delivered in huge poorly written chunks. So much reading that I was bored out my mind. Hell it starts with a novella before you even get into the game. I quit there twice before I managed to get into the meat of the game.

Agreed on both counts. The Swapper was very dark and I got bored with it. It probably deserves more time than the 15 or so minutes I gave it. And Crimson Shroud just sits on my 3DS taking up space. The best thing about it is the dice throwing bit on the touchscreen. I like that.

I loved the dice part, but after a few rolls, you understand why most games hide that. It just adds time to something that already takes too long.

Also what's up with the girl? I don't usually complain about women's outfits in games, but it's established very early on that she's a girl of 16/17. Her panties go so low down she might as well not be wearing them. Not to mention she looks anorexic, it's just an all round gross design. 

Finally got to the end of Sid Meyer's Pirates! on the iPad today. Man the boss on that game is a crock of shit. I don't understand why people like this game so much, it's just repetitive dumb sword fighting, the ship fighting is laughably easy, and there's an age mechanic that the game didn't even surface to me so now I'm apparently too old to do this fight and I have to start over? Screw that. There's no way I'm wasting my life away on this anymore.

The Swapper is great but it doesn't do an extraordinary job pushing you forward and keeping momentum. I imagine it could get tiresome if you weren't a big fan of the puzzles. I mostly finished it because I was very aware of the short playtime and people had raised my expectations about the ending (which was very good indeed!)

If you like the Swapper, I recommend the Fall for very similar setting, tone and themes but overall more successful to me. I was less of a fan of the puzzles because they're more adventure gamey, but that seems to be pretty popular in this forum.

I quit Entwined, another PS+ game that is just boring. It's like guitar hero without the enjoyable music

I think I quit Deus Ex again.. Damn it. 

Maybe ill go back... Probably not. 

WHY DON'T I LIKE THIS GAME?

I think its theme just doesn't work with me. Like "Augmentation and morals and what is it being human anyway?" plus the near future scifi thing doesnt do anything for me. I haven't got far into it though so I don't think I have any real criticism beyond my complete disinterest in it. 

Also was really put off by the first boss fight. I was playing hardest as ghostly as I could so I was completely unprepared for combat. Like I didn't know how to throw a grenade I was that green when that section came around. 

Think I'll sack off Oblivion. I knew it was a waste of money when I bought it in the Steam sale, but I just couldn't resist 'cos it was so cheap!

Unless anyone can recommend some good mods to liven things up a bit? I've already got one called Oscuro, and some graphics mods, but it all seems so uninspired and generic. I just can't be fucking arsed wandering around this big, daft, bland basin doing fetch quests for lazy twats who could just do it themselves. Being the ultimate saviour of the world has never felt like such a chore.

Think I'll sack off Oblivion. I knew it was a waste of money when I bought it in the Steam sale, but I just couldn't resist 'cos it was so cheap!

Unless anyone can recommend some good mods to liven things up a bit? I've already got one called Oscuro, and some graphics mods, but it all seems so uninspired and generic. I just can't be fucking arsed wandering around this big, daft, bland basin doing fetch quests for lazy twats who could just do it themselves. Being the ultimate saviour of the world has never felt like such a chore.

Oblivion is not that great. Even modded all to hell I still prefer to play Morrowind or Skyrim. I am really excited about the Skywind mod which is attempting to fully rebuild Morrowind in Skyrim's engine. 

I hate to do, but I'm going to have to quit Aeternoblade, it's a nice Metroidvania with a time mechanical, but the combat doesn't get interesting until you buy a few combo upgrades.

My main problem is with a boss, that simply heals itself almost completely after I attack it. I tried to figure out if what makes him retreat and heal is a timer or how much he's attacked, but I just can't figure it out. I'm not sure grinding will help since I nearly maxed out my attack until the next area and the internet doesn't seem to have a solution, most walkthoughs haven't reached half of what I've done in the game. 

I'll say one thing for the Talos Principal: the vast majority of the puzzles they made are good to great. There's only a couple that leap out at me that are bad (ie: i know exactly how to solve them and its just a a pain to do it).

That said, even with 18 hours played and only a couple puzzles left in the main 3 temples, I think i might be done with it. To get the proper ending you have to find all the hidden bonus stars, and there are too many around that I know will be a huge pain in the ass and I don't want to bother.