Tanukitsune

Quitter's Club: Don't be ashamed to quit the game.

I just quit Leisure Suit Larry: Reloaded, almost for the same reason I quit Gabriel Knight, I just couldn't stand the character anymore.

The comedy feels like something out of dumb teen comedy, even worse, something from one of "those" parody movies, every item is named after a lame sexual pun... and I LIKE puns.

These are old man puns, though!  It isn't any smarter than dumb teen comedy, but it is a different variety.

The jokes pretty much stayed at that level the whole game, so it's fine to bail.  I somewhat enjoyed it!

I think I'm done with Mirror's Edge.

I love it so much, I just wish it loved me back. I love the views, the music. I love jumping from roof to roof, seeing routes that are alternate to the one I chose as I am jumping from platform to platform. I even love jump/slide kicking cops to go past them and escape. But the deaths. They feel horrible, and more often than not not in the right way.

I first thought of quitting after a series of repeated deaths, wanting to jump from a pipe to a platform on my left that I couldn't latch on while the seemingly equidistant one on the right was the one I had to aim for.

The final nail was being shot by cops+helicopter near the start of a level. I'm pretty sure there's plenty of game left, but I just can't. Not being sure it's the game's fault or mine (though it's probably mine) makes it worse.

Making it worse is the story and the dialogues. Never thought something would make me cringe more than Starcraft 2 or Hearthstone.

I quit Ni No Kuni.

It's a very pretty world, and the music is majestic. Where it loses me is the combat, which is dull, and the voice acting, which is a bit too anime for me. There were a few points where it seemed like the game was going to have trans-dimensional puzzle solving, but instead the characters tell you exactly what to do. There's no mystery to the world.

It'll probably be the last JRPG I try. I burned out on Persona 3:FES after sixty hours. The combat was a lot more involved and the world felt much more dangerous and interesting, but I still had some problems with it. There was too much random chance in some of the encounters, and I didn't like any of the main characters.

Yeah, wow, Ni No Kuni's a very... traditional JPRG.

I can't really think of a good JRPG to suggest instead, because there hasn't really been a lot of good JPRGs in the last generation. Maybe the genre is just not your speed.

JRPGs aren't for everyone. The only one I've ever managed to finish is Persona 4. The rest I burn out on, find the cast irritating, the writing weak or the combat tedious. I just don't even touch them any more.

Except Paper Mario. That's a great JRPG.

I play a JRPG about once every 3 years or so, but I could not get into Ni No Kuni.  I thought the aesthetic would pull me through, but it was just dreadfully boring. 

I play a JRPG about once every 3 years or so, but I could not get into Ni No Kuni.  I thought the aesthetic would pull me through, but it was just dreadfully boring. 

I made a surprising amount of progress, then stopped playing for another game because of this very reason. I haven't touched it since.

I bought Ni No Kuni during a PSN sale. I was mopping up the well received games from the last few years and it was on the list. I'm glad I gave it a go, just so I could re-realise that it's not worth pumping hours and hours into something I am not enjoying.

That reminds me, I never did get back to Lost Odyssey. 

That's one that I think is well worth playing through. It only really loses steam at the very end when you're so close you might as well finish it. For some reason battles stopped being as quick and became longer, which just slowed it down a lot. Overall that game did a lot of things I liked.

I play a JRPG about once every 3 years or so, but I could not get into Ni No Kuni. I thought the aesthetic would pull me through, but it was just dreadfully boring.

I thought the Pokemon aspect and aesthetic would get me through, but yeah, it was a snoozefest in every way.

The only JRPGs I can finish anymore are Shin Megami Tensei games. They're the only ones that don't seem to end up with combat where you just mash X until everything is dead.

That's one that I think is well worth playing through. It only really loses steam at the very end when you're so close you might as well finish it. For some reason battles stopped being as quick and became longer, which just slowed it down a lot. Overall that game did a lot of things I liked.

It certainly had the most engrossing story of a JRPG-ish game I've played in a long time. Also, the fights in-between bosses were actually hard. I think I actually stopped after getting killed by non-boss monsters mere steps away from the end of a level.

It certainly had the most engrossing story of a JRPG-ish game I've played in a long time. Also, the fights in-between bosses were actually hard. I think I actually stopped after getting killed by non-boss monsters mere steps away from the end of a level.

Just watch all the dream sequences from the game on YouTube. Those were easily the best part of the game. I enjoyed the rest of it just fine but those were exceptionally well done.

Are pokémon games JRPGs? They're RPGs from J(apan), but they occupy a completely separate space in my head.

I don't see why they wouldn't be considered JRPGs, it's exactly like one in every single way. Many of them had monster taming even before Pokémon existed.

So why do I hate pretty much every JRPG except for Pokémon? Did I just spoil myself by playing the best before I touched the rest?

Since I don't know the JRPGs you've played, I wouldn't know, but it's likely to be the plot difference and lack of characters? Did you play JRPGs with whiny/emo jerks?

i dislike JRPGs because of the propensity for badly written, badly delivered plots, repetitive bland combat, sexist character design and awful music. I have many of these issues with Japanese games in general, but if the game play is fun, the Ace Combat series for example, I can overcome some of these issues.

So why do I hate pretty much every JRPG except for Pokémon? Did I just spoil myself by playing the best before I touched the rest?

The collecting and leveling up aspect is the primary exception i guess. In most JRPGs, you have a set list of characters, planned levels and equipment for each area, etc. You have a lot more agency on what your combat team looks like in Pokemon, so it appeals to both people that are interested in mechanics and people who are interested in traditional JRPGs. I happen to be a little bit of both, so it's great.

I loved Pokemon back in the Gameboy Colour days, but I've been completely unable to get back to into it. One of my big problems is that back then I was a little kid who played the game the suboptimal way it was meant to be played: evenly sharing XP among a team of six. These days, I realize that easily the best strategy is to pour all my XP into one pokemon so that it's twice the level of everything I fight (varied TMs can ensure you're never not very effective, and even without that, pure level advantage easily makes up for being on the wrong end of elemental rock-paper-scissors). Having figured out this strategy, I can no longer imagine playing the old way, I'd be expending more effort just to make things more laborious, I might as well choose not to learn Bite and stick with Tackle.

I suppose that's on topic because this is the game-quitting thread, has anyone else had that experience with Pokemon?

Not with Pokemon specifically, but that's a common occurrence with lot of old games that I could have enjoyed when I was dumber or just didn't realize certain exploitative features.

Sometimes though, exploiting unintended feature ends up being more fun so kinda splits both ways I guess.

With the change of how experience share works starting in Pokemon X/Y, it's much easier to actually have a balanced team. If the collecting/breeding/secret depth isn't engaging to you, I don't think Pokemon is a very interesting game. The badge earning is the least interesting part of Pokemon to me. tegan is way more knowledegable and into Pokemon than me, but you only pour 200+ hours into a game if you find more than just the main 'campaign' interesting.

i got annoyed replaying Blue due to the number of menus in the combat system. Pick type of action, pick action, confirm, effect, confirm, counter attack, confirm, repeat.

i got annoyed replaying Blue due to the number of menus in the combat system. Pick type of action, pick action, confirm, effect, confirm, counter attack, confirm, repeat.

Yeah that's 100% still present in the later games. It's also the entire pet battling minigame within World of Warcraft (which I also love.)