Tanukitsune

Quitter's Club: Don't be ashamed to quit the game.

I really hate to say this, but I'm pretty sure I'm quitting Kid Icarus: Uprising, frankly, I don't think anything about it.

I LOATHE the controls and I refuse to buy a "Circle Pad" for just one game, I also doubt it would solve most of the issues I have with the controls. I now know why so many games have a separate button for dashing or make you move the controller twice in one direction to dash, because dashing with ONE tilt of the controller is infuriating.

A simple thin path is a nightmare if I have to fight on it, because it's too easy to dash off it by mistake.

Every stage starts with an on rails shooter, which you'd think I'd enjoy, but it fails to capture the fun and feel of an on-rails shooter and feels more like an overly long shooting gallery mini-game. The other stage is a more normal stage with controls I just can't stand.

I feel like I'm "slogging" it, so many stages feel like filler, I can't believe I'm only 1/3rd through the game, I've been playing it on and off because playing too many stages a day bores me. And just typing out how I'm feeling about the game is making me realize even more that I really do NOT like this game. I just didn't want to admit it. 

I'm giving up on Valiant Hearts. Adventure games are just not my thing, and if I find myself irritated at the prospect of doing stuff just to advance the story, it's probably time to quit. 

I also didn't like how the German leader was portrayed as some weird moustache twirling villain. It just felt out of place against what is otherwise a quite serious story. It also reminded me way too much of the bad guys in Rayman Legends.

I played Valiant Hearts around the same time as a number of other heavily story driven games (To the Moon was one of them, and I forget the others). I felt that Valiant Hearts was too much game in some ways; I really love the story and presentation, and simply felt annoyed at some of the gameplay sequences.

I also found the depiction of the leader odd, given the very sympathetic and human treatment of soldiers on both sides in other parts of the game. Then again, the higher ups on the Allied side aren't exactly drawn in a favourable way when you meet them. It might be a symbol of the madness of those controling the war, while the ordinary people on both sides suffer.

If you have any interest in the story, I suggest that you do as I did, and consult a FAQ when it gets to the annoying bits... I was glad that I didn't give up, since the end is very powerful

If you have any interest in the story, I suggest that you do as I did, and consult a FAQ when it gets to the annoying bits... I was glad that I didn't give up, since the end is very powerful

That seems like decent advice, I just would rather not grind through something I don't enjoy while reading a FAQ (I mean it's not like the puzzles are difficult, it's the fact I have to do them that irritates me the most). It won't make it any more engaging for me.

I might go back to it at some point as with most games I quit and don't hate, but not for a few months. 

I got about 19 hours into Red Dead Redemption and my 360 corrupted my save file, causing me to quit the game and never look back. Bloody loved what I played of it and I might go back to it one day.

I'm preeeetty sure I'm going to give up on Dark Souls. I played it for about an hour and a half and met my second demon and frankly I don't know if I can be bothered fighting it. I can see why it would appeal to some people who enjoy a challenge, but right now I don't have the time or patience for it. (Also it runs like poop on my laptop). Maybe I'll give it another go if I get a better PC and access to a proper controller (currently just using my Wii classic controller + glovepie to play it, which probably plays a large part in my frustration). 

I've been trying to clear out a bunch of my backlog but my impatience means that it's just a bunch of new games I quit:

Thomas Was Alone: Pretty interesting as a demonstration of the human mind's willingness to anthropomorphize (I kept thinking about this part of Scott McCloud's "Understanding Comics") but ultimately I found the puzzles more tedious than challenging. I've played this before and, to my understanding, got within a few screens of the ending but I was too bored and frustrated to continue. Thought it only right I start from the beginning since I didn't remember any of the story but now I don't think I care about the story. Maybe one day I'll finish this.

Sine Mora: Extremely slick-looking bullet-hell game where time is your life resource. The 3D art is impressive but it also makes things way less precise (it's hard to know when things are in the background and when things are actually able to be shot), which feels like a strange move but it's clear enough most the time. I only had to stop playing it because it made my laptop overheat. I'll probably return to this whenever I get my next computer.

Superfrog HD: Like the Popcap version of a platformer, all feedback and shiny collectibles and sounds. Imagine Sonic the hedgehog if there were 5 kinds of rings to collect, and 80% of empy sky in the level were those rings. Now imagine the art, control and level design being way worse. Basically this is a game for 6 year-olds, which is fine. I only got it as part of a Team 17 humble bundle anyway.

Imagine Me: Feels remarkably unfinished, like someone's Unity demo. Lousy platforming with lousy "this is a story about a sad boy who is sad" story screens in between. Practically no animation, horrible SFX. Even the menus felt weirdly unresponsive. HowLongToBeat said this was the shortest game I owned but I had to turn it off after 11 minutes. Amazing this got on Steam.

I quit Talos Principle recently. I found the puzzles more irritating than fun. There seems to be one very specific way to complete each puzzle and I was just not getting it over and over again. Its a cool looking game, but the puzzle design just felt sort of bland and repetitive, I didn't get too far so maybe it gets better later on. 

I admittedly played very little of it, but I'm quitting Driveclub. It's not that it's explicitly bad by any means, but it just fits very comfortably into the Gran Turismo/Forza Motorsport driving feel without all the advancements that Forza has made that makes Forza playable to me. There's stuff like annoyingly penalizing you in terms of nebulous experience points if you collide with other cars or drive off-track, very obvious driving lines of opponent AI, no driving lines, really annoying brake squeal (might just be my speakers or the particular cars I was driving, to be fair), no rewind, etc.

Also, I just tend to enjoy stuff like Forza Horizon and Need for Speed more, but I was just hoping for something to hold me over until the next NFS or my purchase of an Xbox One. That said, I had already heard middling things about it so it was just a rental so no big loss on my part.

I'm giving up on Valiant Hearts. Adventure games are just not my thing, and if I find myself irritated at the prospect of doing stuff just to advance the story, it's probably time to quit. 

I also didn't like how the German leader was portrayed as some weird moustache twirling villain. It just felt out of place against what is otherwise a quite serious story. It also reminded me way too much of the bad guys in Rayman Legends.

I felt the same way about Valiant Hearts but decided to stick with it through to the end. I gained nothing by finishing VH, but wanted to tell you that the second half of the game is entirely pointless. You're not going to be missing much.

I found the portrayal of the enemy characters equally irritating. The strangest thing I took away is that, for a French development team, I thought they would understand or be aware that the German leaders during WW1 were considered to be as evil as Hitler during the post WW1 era, and it was a combination of being overshadowed by the events of WW2 and Nazi propaganda framing the WW1 leaders as buffoons that changed their reputation from blood thirsty, warmongering tyrants to idiots in pointed hats. 

By the end of the game you're are walking over piles of dead french troops, with the in-game art made up of limbs and torsos. You're not missing anything by bailing out.

PS: hope this was coherent. I've just woken up.

Decided to try out Thief since it was a PS+ game a little bit ago. Finished the first level and fully lost interest. What an uninteresting game to play, and what story there was to the point I got was laughable.

Bought Life is Strange for my girlfriend after she expressed an interest. I thought it looked shite but held my tongue.

We played it for about an hour and then turned it off because neither of us could stand the awful, awful script. Examine the TV. "Can't wait to watch some more documentaries on this bad boy"

HAHAHAHHA

Although I'm enjoying Venetica much more than I should, I think I'm quitting. I finally reached Venice and almost EVERY house on the map is labelled "house", even if it's a shop... or a quest related place I need to find.

I was so desperate to continue the game I resorted to breaking into every house hoping one of them would lead me to the right place... I ended up riding the city of rogues by wiping out their bases, but I still couldn't find anything to continue my quest.

The worst part is that the game does have map markers, they just never seem to help.

I think I hate Xenoblade Chronicles. After 2 hours I'm at the same point I spent six hours on the Wii getting to and not especially enjoying, in a cave on the first real story mission it sends you on. I find the combat confusing and I doubt the addition of more abilities is going to change it much - I might be weird but I love turn-based JRPG combat where you get to use a bit of strategy and take your time, this seems to be too far removed for me to get into. I thought I'd like the novelty of non-American English language voices but good grief they're irritating beyond belief. Also it does that thing where it gives you shitloads of loot after beating enemies and no clue if I can just sell it and buy a cool helmet or I'll regret it later and argh.

Is there a recognised point where this becomes the best RPG of the 21st century or is it just going to underwhelm me for 80 hours if I let it?

Did you get to Gaur Plains? I don't think you're very far away from it, if you are where I think you are. I also don't think it's amazing, but I've been sticking with it, and the story is quite fun, and the characters are hopelessly optimistic. Gaur Plains did take me back a little. The whole range of enemies in that field was really awesome, and the sheer scope was kinda mind-blowing. I am playing it on the N3DS, which is the way I like to play RPG's. The battle system is also weird, but you get used to it and I quite like it. You can also at any time swap characters and have a completely different play style.

As for the weird loot items, most are used for gem crafting, apart from that, there are quest-specific items that'll be made apparent later in the story.

The British voice acting is super weird, but I kinda enjoy it. Also if you're playing on the Wii version you can change it to Japanese. But I'm guessing you're playing on the 3DS given your context.

The only bit that has annoyed me so far is one random part where you have to collect 4 things for no real good reason to activate a lift. Only then to find out

that the lift is broken. Fucking pointless.

All in all though, I like Xenoblade! Get out of Colony 6 and things pick up!

OK, reprieve granted!

Maybe I'm just disappointed relative to the insane level of hype around it on both releases. And I can always console myself with the fact that it's never actually cost me money as I sold my Wii copy for double what I paid for the Wii and 3DS version combined.

Yeah, definitely play at least until you get the gaur plains. If you still don't like it there, it's probably not going to click, because that area gives you a pretty good sense of how that game actually is. (You should have enough abilities once you've spent some time there to start seeing how some of the combo and positioning stuff works for the combat, in addition to the awesomely weird precognition gimmick.)

Even with a few years to think it over, i would still say it's probably one of my personal favorite RPG's.

The last leg of Westerado after you call out the murderer of your family is bullshit. It reminds me of the ending of Trine in that it's designed sort of differently to the rest of the game and it's also way harder.

After loving Obscure, I think I'm quitting Obscure 2, not only are the characters less interesting in this game, in this game they make their unique characteristic EXCLUSIVE to them.

Before they could all force a lock, but one of them was better at it, now only one can hack, with a dumb mini-game, one can read ciphers, a.k.a. puzzles, one can push items and one can jump...

So... it's like the Lost Vikings, except you can only bring TWO characters and I gave up after realizing I had to return to the other to change the characters way too often and this game doesn't even have a regroup button like the first game! 

Done wth Hotline Miami 2. It's objectively worse than the original. Way too many cheap deaths, and loads of levels with long corridors. Occasionally Patrolling enemies add to the frustration too.

Oh well, I wanted to like it, since I loved HM1.

I just quit Leisure Suit Larry: Reloaded, almost for the same reason I quit Gabriel Knight, I just couldn't stand the character anymore.

The comedy feels like something out of dumb teen comedy, even worse, something from one of "those" parody movies, every item is named after a lame sexual pun... and I LIKE puns.

Also, the Angry Broads things just made me quit in shame....

CFbqp2VWYAAa3dF.jpg

*sigh*

I also technically quit Mamorukun's Curse because after beating the final boss I found out I'll have to play the game again and again until I meet some stupid conditions.